Sponsored

Mopar LCA swap

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I know the spring part # nomenclature has changed the last couple years, and AFAIK the Rubicon springs vs the Sahara/Sport heights aren't as pronounced. Not sure if they did that to improve the caster &/or overall handling, but it seems to be the case.
Sponsored

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I just measured my Sport with Rubicon springs and shocks (stock JLU Sport, V6 auto, hardtop, plastic bumpers, no winch)- the center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt measures 20.5" on the drivers side. That means on its stock springs it would have been exactly 19" since I got 1.5" change in height on the front after swapping springs. I got 2" change in height in the back. The 1.5" and 2" measurements were taken from surface of concrete to underside o fender lip aligned with center of wheel.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
I just measured my Sport with Rubicon springs and shocks (stock JLU Sport, V6 auto, hardtop, plastic bumpers, no winch)- the center of shock bolt to center of shock bolt measures 20.5" on the drivers side. That means on its stock springs it would have been exactly 19" since I got 1.5" change in height on the front after swapping springs. I got 2" change in height in the back. The 1.5" and 2" measurements were taken from surface of concrete to underside o fender lip aligned with center of wheel.
I wonder if your springs sagged. How long have they been in. ? The measurement 19 7/8” was from a stock sport and a stock Sahara. I haven’t come across one any less than that.
Did you put a heavier bumper and winch on before the spring swap?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know the spring part # nomenclature has changed the last couple years, and AFAIK the Rubicon springs vs the Sahara/Sport heights aren't as pronounced. Not sure if they did that to improve the caster &/or overall handling, but it seems to be the case.
That specific list proves that a similarly optioned Sahara has the same springs as a Rubicon. But there is many missing combos there in that list like the 4Xe or softtop, no tow, no steel bumper Rubicon,

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I wonder if your springs sagged. How long have they been in. ? The measurement 19 7/8” was from a stock sport and a stock Sahara. I haven’t come across one any less than that.
Did you put a heavier bumper and winch on before the spring swap?
It was completely stock except for tires.
This is a 2018 year model that I bought used, I don't know when it was built. I put the springs on early in 2021 with 12,000 miles on the Jeep.

Sponsored

6th Floor Mule

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 6MT
My Sahara is 10 1/8 from the axle tube to bottom of the spring perch, 3/4” less than the illustration. Technically its 12 1/8, but I have the 1.5” Teraflex leveling kit w/ 2” front spacer.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My Sahara is 10 1/8 from the axle tube to bottom of the spring perch, 3/4” less than the illustration. Technically its 12 1/8, but I have the 1.5” Teraflex leveling kit w/ 2” front spacer.
They all settle over time especially when we add more gear. The numbers above really are for a baseline of stock new. So, if you come up shorter on an older vehicle that is understandable… My XR dropped quite a bit when I put different bumper and winch on which is why I added 2.5” springs.

BUSHRVN

First Name
MONTE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WRANGLER JLU SAHARA HIGH ALTITUDE 3.0
I just installed the OEM lift kit LCA on my Sahara High Altitude, stock other than SS, and what a serious difference in the hiway handling! It's sick that this isn't how they are off the lot, just so dumb! The best $120 I've spent!

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
I’m sure this has been discussed in great detail throughout this thread, but I’m relatively new to all this so any input would be appreciated.

I have 2022 Willys XR. Does it come with the longer lower control arms since it has a 1.5” lift from factory? Also, would installing them be beneficial since they are really cheap? The only mod I plan on doing is adding a .75” coil spacer to the front to level it out. Anything else you would do to improve handling if I install the coil spacer? It handles relatively well as is. Thanks!

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m sure this has been discussed in great detail throughout this thread, but I’m relatively new to all this so any input would be appreciated.

I have 2022 Willys XR. Does it come with the longer lower control arms since it has a 1.5” lift from factory? Also, would installing them be beneficial since they are really cheap? The only mod I plan on doing is adding a .75” coil spacer to the front to level it out. Anything else you would do to improve handling if I install the coil spacer? It handles relatively well as is. Thanks!
The XR comes with regular factory Lower control arms. Yes the 2” Mopar lift arms will help to
Improve handling.

Sponsored

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392

Agree with @Jtphoto, but would add that you should go get a free alignment check somewhere. The 1.5” lifted Jeeps, XRs and 392s, can come from the factory with low 4 caster numbers. If that is the case I would go longer than the mopar 2” LCAs. Especially since a 3/4” spacer will also lower your caster. So you might need adjustable LCAs to dial in caster.

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Agree with @Jtphoto, but would add that you should go get a free alignment check somewhere. The 1.5” lifted Jeeps, XRs and 392s, can come from the factory with low 4 caster numbers. If that is the case I would go longer than the mopar 2” LCAs. Especially since a 3/4” spacer will also lower your caster. So you might need adjustable LCAs to dial in caster.
Great info, thank you! Which adjustable LCA would you recommend? Would you recommend changing anything else out for a .75 spacer on an XR package? Trying to keep stock ride quality or better but not spend an arm and a leg. Thanks!

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It all depends what you are looking for. I just went with a better spring set and shocks altogether because I added a heavier bumper and winch which the stock springs couldn’t handle.
I went with 2.5” triple rate springs and RockSport long travel shocks for a better than stock ride. For me the Mopar 2” lift arms were enough to dial it all in.

andy29847

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had this new to me Jeep that I hadn't spent any money on. Reading this thread inspired me to break through that barrier. I ordered the control arms from Amazon - $86.50 for both. They came to the house yesterday, and I put them on this morning. It is a simple job, but you need good tools and some muscle. The control arm bolts have a 21mm head. The nuts take a 24mm socket or wrench. The nut that holds on the brake bracket is 15mm. Torque for the control arm fasteners is supposed to be 190 ft/pounds. I think mine were much more than that. I used a 4' cheater bar on the end of my 1/2" rachet to break the nuts loose. Loosening and tightening is complicated a little by limited access because of other parts in the way. It seemed like each end took a different combination of wrenches, rachet extensions, and sockets. I had to drive the Jeep up on some homemade ramps to get enough underneath clearance to work with the tools. My new arms slipped on with with just a little mild pushing and pulling. As I fitted the arms, I left the bolts finger tight until both arms were in place. Then I bounced the front a couple of times from the bumper to let everything settle in place. The bounce is an old TJ trick. I don't know if it is necessary for the JL, but it seemed like the right thing to do. One thing I noticed is the bushing design on the new arm is differen than the old arms. My test drive took me to McDonald's for a burger and some fries. I think I'll take a nap now. :)

i-tdqr3LS-X3.jpg

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
It all depends what you are looking for. I just went with a better spring set and shocks altogether because I added a heavier bumper and winch which the stock springs couldn’t handle.
I went with 2.5” triple rate springs and RockSport long travel shocks for a better than stock ride. For me the Mopar 2” lift arms were enough to dial it all in.
When you say dialed in, what caster did you end up at? I would get a quick free check to find your stock caster number before doing anything.
Sponsored