Sponsored

Big driving improvement after LCA swap

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

dshark1

First Name
Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon JLR
It's possible they've put the longer LCAs on from the factory in 2021, might wait and verify your LCA part#, and if they are the old LCAs then I would highly recommend swapping to the new ones.
Please pardon my ignorance, What is the best way for me to verify which LCA”s my 21 Rubi has? Thinking about ordering Mopar#68322798AA if I do not already have them from factory. For hopefully a better driving experience. Thx in advance!

Last edited:

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Please pardon my ignorance, What is the best way for me to verify which LCA”s my 21 Rubi has? Thinking about ordering Mopar#68322798AA if I do not already have them from factory. For hopefully a better driving experience. Thx in advance!
Crawl under and look. The part number is on the inner-facing side of the LCA.

Sponsored

Thetickz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I just completed this install and there's definitely a driving improvement. I have a JLU Sport S with Rubicon take off suspension (springs and shocks).

I bought a $100 Ryobi 1/2 impact wrench to remove the LCA bolts. Then also picked up a $50 Husky torque wrench that went up to 250 ft lbs @ Home Depot. Ended up putting the front axel on jack stands and removing the tires to retorque the bolts. 190 ft pounds is no joke without the proper space under the Jeep.

Went for a short driving on the freeway at 75 mph after the install and the jeep definitely stays straighter now. I had a right pull before the install and now the pull is less pronounced. Will probably go for an alignment later to see what my caster is at and hopefully get rid of the pull completely.

Overall definitely recommend everyone try this out. Helped a lot.

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went in to have my alignment checked today. They adjusted my toe-in slightly, but I also requested caster readouts.

A reminder: I replaced the stock JLUR LCAs with the Mopar LCAs for the 2" lift as discussed in this thread.

Left caster: 6.8 degrees
Right caster: 7.4 degrees

This difference concerns me. I am considering putting the OEM LCAs back on and going back to an alignment shop to get a caster read out. I suspect that .6 degree difference will remain there, which means my JLUR is cocked from the factory.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I went in to have my alignment checked today. They adjusted my toe-in slightly, but I also requested caster readouts.

A reminder: I replaced the stock JLUR LCAs with the Mopar LCAs for the 2" lift as discussed in this thread.

This difference concerns me. I am considering putting the OEM LCAs back on and going back to an alignment shop to get a caster read out. I suspect that .6 degree difference will remain there, which means my JLUR is cocked from the factory.
.6 degrees is likely just how the arms were sitting in the mounts when torqued down. I would loosen both ends of the left arm and try to pry away from the mounts (effectively making it slightly longer) and re-torque. Do the opposite on the other side (effectively shortening it) you'd be surprised how much movement you can get within the bushings/mounts.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

You're within 10%...could be as simple as the alignment equipment. I don't think I would swap the arms again, how does it drive?

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
They will typically dial in a little extra caster on one side to help with road crown.

Sponsored

wandrur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're within 10%...could be as simple as the alignment equipment. I don't think I would swap the arms again, how does it drive?
See my post from August on the previous page.

After a few days of commuting, I can say the Jeep tracks straight better than it did. But the thing still dances at bumps and wanders at curves, so the next thing will be to install the Synergy brace.

This is so frustrating.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I don’t think I’ve experienced much, if any, wandering despite having a lot of play and then getting the 18-20 iron gearbox TSB done. Now there might have been a bit of overcorrection because of the slack once in a while, like a curve.

tinodm

First Name
Tino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did these LCA swaps today and I'm not noticing anything much on my brand new 2021 JLUR. Maybe it's in my head I don't know. I never thought it was driving bad just felt need corrections more frequently than all my other cars/trucks. I still feel like I need to correct the wheel at all speeds but very lightly. I just think this is what it's like to drive a front axel car after so many years of riding independent front suspension. Should I go and get my alignment done?

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Did these LCA swaps today and I'm not noticing anything much on my brand new 2021 JLUR. Maybe it's in my head I don't know. I never thought it was driving bad just felt need corrections more frequently than all my other cars/trucks. I still feel like I need to correct the wheel at all speeds but very lightly. I just think this is what it's like to drive a front axel car after so many years of riding independent front suspension. Should I go and get my alignment done?
How long are your new LCAs? [stock are 24.0"]. Unlifted, 24.25" should get you there. More if you are lifted via lift kit or spacers.

MattT69

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I installed and would recommend the TeraFlex JL / JT: Front Lower Sport Control Arms to provide maintenance-free and dependable performance on JL models with 1.5-3.5" lifts and JT models with 2.5-3.5" lifts. The Factory-style bushings provide excellent NVH damping and ride quality.

Tube Diameter & Wall = 42mm X 4mm • Factory Length = 24" • Sport Length = 24-5/8"
• Optimized for 2.5” lift heights
• 1.5” lift heights will experience more caster
• 3.5” lift heights will experience less caster
Sponsored