Mopar LCA Question

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lexus GX460; 2020 Mustang GT VB
Just grabbed a set of Mopar LCA, went for it because the steering on high way is down right scary...
Also I don't want to mess with my warranty yet, so went for the safe choice.
Question is, is there anyone had em on and is there any uneven tire wears? Due to the caster change?
I'm going to install the teraflex 1.5 lift with it. Thanks!
Sponsored

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
I don't see how caster change will cause uneven tire wear. Camber and toe maybe, but caster should not.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered the Mopar 2" lift LCA's myself for my stock 2019 JLUR. When I was driving it home from the dealer yesterday, I could tell the caster is too low, especially on curvy roads at higher speeds. My lifted 2018 handles much better and I feel comfortable driving it faster than the 2019.

By simply adding some caster to your JLUR, you shouldn't experience any ill tire wire. The caster on a stock JLUR is too low, the Mopar LCA's put it where it should've been from the factory. You will get bad tire wear from the wrong toe setting though.

When you add a 1.5" lift with the longer Mopar LCA's,, your caster is going to be back to what it was stock (in the 4-5 degree range, which is not enough). Unfortunately, you will be better off by getting one of the following options:

1. Keep the longer Mopar LCA's and add geometry correction brackets
  2. Get fixed after market LCA's for your amount of lift (RK Adventure series is one option)
  3. Get adjustable LCA's to really dial in your caster
I have the RK Adventure LCA's on my 2.5" lifted 2018 JLUR and the steering is excellent (better than stock). I can confidently drive at 90+mph one handed. I will be adding adjustable control arms in the near future, they weren't in my budget at the time I bought my lift.

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see how caster change will cause uneven tire wear. Camber and toe maybe, but caster should not.
I see, I've checked your post on LCA, will it still track better after the 1.5 inch lift?
Sorry a newb here...:angel:

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just ordered the Mopar 2" lift LCA's myself for my stock 2019 JLUR. When I was driving it home from the dealer yesterday, I could tell the caster is too low, especially on curvy roads at higher speeds. My lifted 2018 handles much better and I feel comfortable driving it faster than the 2019.

By simply adding some caster to your JLUR, you shouldn't experience any ill tire wire. The caster on a stock JLUR is too low, the Mopar LCA's put it where it should've been from the factory. You will get bad tire wear from the wrong toe setting though.

When you add a 1.5" lift with the longer Mopar LCA's,, your caster is going to be back to what it was stock (in the 4-5 degree range, which is not enough). Unfortunately, you will be better off by getting one of the following options:

1. Keep the longer Mopar LCA's and add geometry correction brackets
  2. Get fixed after market LCA's for your amount of lift (RK Adventure series is one option)
  3. Get adjustable LCA's to really dial in your caster
I have the RK Adventure LCA's on my 2.5" lifted 2018 JLUR and the steering is excellent (better than stock). I can confidently drive at 90+mph one handed. I will be adding adjustable control arms in the near future, they weren't in my budget at the time I bought my lift.
Thanks so much! I'll check out the geometry correction thing.
When I drove my JLUR home on the high way, I realized I can't track straight... I'm fearing for my life man, then I saw the speedo says 65 mph... I'm like ok, it's a jeep thing...
Cause I also drove a Mustang, useless to say but I'm gripping my JL's steering wheel for my life, but I can track Mustang straight on 90 with out sweating...

Sponsored

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
I see, I've checked your post on LCA, will it still track better after the 1.5 inch lift?
So it’s been mentioned the factory caster specs are 4.5-5.5. I honestly haven’t ever aligned a stock JL so don’t know what they come at. My thinking is they will Be towards the lower end of that range and the sports/Sahara’s will be towards the upper range. By adding the .25” longer LCA, you’re getting it back into “spec” but it’s still on the low end. I like caster in the 6.2-6.5° degree based on the build. Adding the teraflex spacer lift will then decrease it yet again but I think you’ll be ok because those arms are used with the mopar lift all the time without to many concerns and it’s much higher than 1.5”.

Toe is affected so slightly that I would consider it as a non issue. Camber isn’t affected at all. Need adj ball joints for that.

Brett

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
limeade,
What if I just install the geometry thing w/o the LCA will it do the job?

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When I drove my JLUR home on the high way, I realized I can't track straight... I'm fearing for my life man, then I saw the speedo says 65 mph... I'm like ok, it's a jeep thing...
Cause I also drove a Mustang, useless to say but I'm gripping my JL's steering wheel for my life, but I can track Mustang straight on 90 with out sweating...
100% against people accepting poor handling under the guise of “its a Jeep thing” these are now like higher end suvs and when correctly build handle as well or better than similarly priced suvs. You’re on the right path getting the caster corrected, please don’t accept bad driving characteristics as normal.

Brett

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
Well, it never hurts to try since Mopar LCAs are dirt cheap. If you are not satisfied, then you can go with a pair of aftermarket ones. When I wrote the original Mopar LCA post, like 2 years ago, there was not much option of aftermarket LCAs, and the ones available were also expensive. Right now you can find a dime a dozen aftermarket adjustable LCAs in all kind of price range. Don't worry about warranty, if the dealer is going the length to deny your warranty because of LCAs, they may as well do since you will have Teraflex spacers.

Now back to your question: is 1.5 inch lift okay? Well, let me put it this way. Since you are using spacer lifts, you will net a true 1.5 inch, plus you have a Rubicon so its casters are low to start with. The Mopar LCAs are going to help you, better than stock.

Steering tracking is a complex issue affecting by several factors, track bar, drag link, steering box. If you are specifically worrying about tracking straight, I would also suggest you tot do the Synergy shaft brace mod, @River City Offroad can hook you up for $180. That one will help greatly.

On a side note, do you need new shocks for your Teraflex spacer? I have the shocks in that package for sale right now:)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lcon-2-1-shocks-stock-to-1-5-inch-lift.50712/

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Your Rubi w/ an additional 1.5" lift along w/ the Mopar LCAs should have a bit more caster than it did prior to the lift and LCAs being added, but not much. Would be better to have adjustable LCAs for your application. Another 1/4" of LCA length would get your caster in the 6.5 range (give or take) and that's the sweet spot for higher speed tracking.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Get the caster in the 6-7 degree range and that wandering/twitchy steering will go away.

I should of included that the stock Rubicon LCA's are the same length as the Sport's and Sahara's. BUT the Rubicon suspension is 1.5" higher, which is why the Rubicon's caster is too low stock. If you keep the Rubicon suspension height stock, the longer Mopar LCA's are a very economical way to get the caster correct. But if you then add another 1.5" of lift, you will need to add caster again by utilizing one of the three options I listed above.

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So it’s been mentioned the factory caster specs are 4.5-5.5. I honestly haven’t ever aligned a stock JL so don’t know what they come at. My thinking is they will Be towards the lower end of that range and the sports/Sahara’s will be towards the upper range. By adding the .25” longer LCA, you’re getting it back into “spec” but it’s still on the low end. I like caster in the 6.2-6.5° degree based on the build. Adding the teraflex spacer lift will then decrease it yet again but I think you’ll be ok because those arms are used with the mopar lift all the time without to many concerns and it’s much higher than 1.5”.

Toe is affected so slightly that I would consider it as a non issue. Camber isn’t affected at all. Need adj ball joints for that.

Brett
I see. Thanks! But honestly I am not satisfied with right now's tracking... :facepalm:

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, it never hurts to try since Mopar LCAs are dirt cheap. If you are not satisfied, then you can go with a pair of aftermarket ones. When I wrote the original Mopar LCA post, like 2 years ago, there was not much option of aftermarket LCAs, and the ones available were also expensive. Right now you can find a dime a dozen aftermarket adjustable LCAs in all kind of price range. Don't worry about warranty, if the dealer is going the length to deny your warranty because of LCAs, they may as well do since you will have Teraflex spacers.

Now back to your question: is 1.5 inch lift okay? Well, let me put it this way. Since you are using spacer lifts, you will net a true 1.5 inch, plus you have a Rubicon so its casters are low to start with. The Mopar LCAs are going to help you, better than stock.

Steering tracking is a complex issue affecting by several factors, track bar, drag link, steering box. If you are specifically worrying about tracking straight, I would also suggest you tot do the Synergy shaft brace mod, @River City Offroad can hook you up for $180. That one will help greatly.

On a side note, do you need new shocks for your Teraflex spacer? I have the shocks in that package for sale right now:)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...lcon-2-1-shocks-stock-to-1-5-inch-lift.50712/
Oh man I can't book mark it...

OP
OP
Nickz

Nickz

First Name
Yixuan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Rubi w/ an additional 1.5" lift along w/ the Mopar LCAs should have a bit more caster than it did prior to the lift and LCAs being added, but not much. Would be better to have adjustable LCAs for your application. Another 1/4" of LCA length would get your caster in the 6.5 range (give or take) and that's the sweet spot for higher speed tracking.
6.5, ok thanks

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see. Thanks! But honestly I am not satisfied with right now's tracking... :facepalm:
That’s corrected by adding caster. Can also add some MC upper control arms to dial it in further. Works great and aren’t terribly expensive.

Brett
Sponsored