Mopar LCA swap

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Compared to a stock sport or sport s, the rubicon is 'lifted" . A stock rubicon runs 1.5" -2" higher than it's sport conterpart. Maybe .5" of that is in it's larger tires, but the remainder is in the suspension. The shocks and springs are both longer.
Look at it another way - if I wanted to put the mopar 2" lift on a sport - raising it to approx the same height as a rubicon - the kit includes the longer LCA's. Q.E.D. the rubicon should come with the longer LCA's stock as it already has a higher base suspension.
A regular Rubicon is certainly not lifted. It has taller tires and Highline fenders. It also has exactly the same control arms, swaybar links and trackbars as the other models. See other thread for examples. I have measured all different models on the dealers lot and the most difference I have seen is 1/2” only in the front (not the rear) of a loaded Rubicon where it sat level where the Saharas and Sports more tend to have a rake. Back ends all the same.
The ONLY lifted Rubicon is the Xtreme Recon which has all the exact same control arms (already proven), 1.5” taller springs, different trackbars, extended bumpstops and swaybar links.
There is 0 information out there from Jeep that states the Rubicon has taller suspension.
FYI other then tires my XR was barely 1.5” taller in suspension than a Sahara it was sitting
beside.

FYI a Sport with a 2” Mopar Lift on 35s sits higher than my XR … FACT.

37C6A6EC-A889-4168-B8AE-674D09D29762.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
A regular Rubicon is certainly not lifted. It has taller tires and Highline fenders. It also has exactly the same control arms, swaybar links and trackbars as the other models. See other thread for examples. I have measured all different models on the dealers lot and the most difference I have seen is 1/2” only in the front (not the rear) of a loaded Rubicon where it sat level where the Saharas and Sports more tend to have a rake. Back ends all the same.
The ONLY lifted Rubicon is the Xtreme Recon which has 1.5” taller springs, different trackbars and swaybar links.
There is 0 information out there from Jeep that states the Rubicon has taller suspension.
FYI other then tires my XR was barely 1.5” taller in suspension than a Sahara it was sitting
beside.

FYI a Sport with a 2” Mopar Lift on 35s sits higher than my XR … FACT.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 37C6A6EC-A889-4168-B8AE-674D09D29762
My stock 2dr sport with rubicon springs lifted approx 2", that's the only fact that I've dealt with personally.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All you have done is put a high spring rate coils in your Jeep which means the Jeep that it came off was heavier than yours nothing more. This has been common practice since the JK world as well. In which case you should be adding all the other 2” lift stuff that a 2” lift kit would give you.

If you look at the Mopar parts website. Their 2” lifts are listed by 2dr or 4dr, and by what engine size you have. Not by model. This is the first clue Rubicons are not lifted.
I could do the same with my XR and put 392 or Diesel coils in. It doesn’t make it right.

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
To add to the confusion. And agree with @Jtphoto. The XR package adds ~1.5” to any JL, except the 392. The XR package adds no lift to a 392.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
Rubicon vs sport s shock
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap D34F4D47-F974-4E23-BCE3-AE98A262E844

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon vs sport s shock
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap D34F4D47-F974-4E23-BCE3-AE98A262E844
Yes there is no argument that Rubicon shocks are longer for more flex, especially the front, because of the disconnects. They always have been even in the JKs. That means nothing for ride height.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
My stock 2dr sport with rubicon springs lifted approx 2", that's the only fact that I've dealt with personally.
My JLU Sport with Rubicon springs gained 1.5" front and 2" rear over its stock springs, the springs came from a similarly equipped Rubicon so in my case the springs weren't from a heavier vehicle.

This is not a strictly apples to apples comparison since the Rubicon has different axles. The spring perches and shock mounts may be attached differently. (If the spring perches and shock attachments are at different points on the Rubicon axles then it would make sense for them to put the LCA mount at a different point to maintain caster.) With the fenders being different from one model to another it is harder to determine a common point to measure from. It was easy for me I just measured before and remembered where I took the measurement, then measured after the same way. If we could establish easily described points to measure from we could probably have different members here take these measurements on stock vehicles and report.

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
My JLU Sport with Rubicon springs gained 1.5" front and 2" rear over its stock springs, the springs came from a similarly equipped Rubicon so in my case the springs weren't from a heavier vehicle.

This is not a strictly apples to apples comparison since the Rubicon has different axles. The spring perches and shock mounts may be attached differently. (If the spring perches and shock attachments are at different points on the Rubicon axles then it would make sense for them to put the LCA mount at a different point to maintain caster.) With the fenders being different from one model to another it is harder to determine a common point to measure from. It was easy for me I just measured before and remembered where I took the measurement, then measured after the same way. If we could establish easily described points to measure from we could probably have different members here take these measurements on stock vehicles and report.
There is already plenty of common points to measure in the many threads on this forum regarding height difference between models.

The most common is either shock center eye to center eye bolt length, or top of axle tube to bottom lip of upper spring perch.

Edit: Just noticed @Jtphoto posted the diagram showing where to measure, a few posts up.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is already plenty of common points to measure in the many threads on this forum regarding height difference between models.
I was thinking more in terms of measuring from the body to the ground. Measuring spring perches and so forth assumes that those parts are installed identically on the different axle types.
But yes maybe all of this has been answered already in other threads and I'm not aware of it.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
As far as caster from the factory, there's been many members w/ Rubicons that have been in the low 4 range, and haven't read of any sports that have been under the 5 range FWIW.

Sponsored

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I posted a diagram and measurements I got from new vehicles on the lot. The only difference on the Rubicon front axle are tubes and axle shafts are longer and center section is bigger all the rest is the same.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was thinking more in terms of measuring from the body to the ground. Measuring spring perches and so forth assumes that those parts are installed identically on the different axle types.
But yes maybe all of this has been answered already in other threads and I'm not aware of it.
You can’t depend on body to ground. All models have different size and type tires and if the psi in the tires is not consistent then that throws your measurements off as well.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I posted a diagram and measurements I got from new vehicles on the lot. The only difference on the Rubicon front axle are tubes and axle shafts are longer and center section is bigger all the rest is the same.
If that is the case then Rubicons should be taller than Sports by a good amount. Take a JLU Rubicon V6 automatic, everything above the axles should weigh about the same as a JLU Sport V6 automatic. Take springs off of the Rubicon, put on the Sport, the sport is raised an average of 1.75", therefore the Rubicon should have started 1.75" higher. If this is not showing up in actual measurements then there is something else under the vehicle that is different.
Per the measurements on the sides of the tires, I believe a Rubicon would gain 0.75" over a Sport based on different tires. (I didn't do the calculation for a Sahara or Willys) So that is a total of 2.5". Therefore crawl under it and measure from frame to ground and you should see 2.5" difference. Is this not showing up in actual measurements?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
If you look at the Mopar parts website. Their 2” lifts are listed by 2dr or 4dr, and by what engine size you have. Not by model. This is the first clue Rubicons are not lifted.
Sorry. Have to disagree. Mopar and 99% of all lifts base their lift amounts on Rubicons. Most mopar lifts on Rubicons see 2-2.5” of lift and all other JLUs see near 4”s of lift. Rubicons are definitely lifted compared to Sports/Saharas range from 1-1.5” which is why caster is on low end of spec range for Rubicons.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry. Have to disagree. Mopar and 99% of all lifts base their lift amounts on Rubicons. Most mopar lifts on Rubicons see 2-2.5” of lift and all other JLUs see near 4”s of lift. Rubicons are definitely lifted compared to Sports/Saharas range from 1-1.5” which is why caster is on low end of spec range for Rubicons.
That’s BS. Snake Oil. If my XR has a 1.5” lift it would mean it should be 3.5 to 4” taller then a Sport. Lol NOT, it’s not even 2” taller then a sport. The springs are the ONLY THING that lifts a Wrangler PERIOD. A 3” spring on a Wrangler is a 3” spring period it doesn’t matter what model it’s on, it lifts them all the same. An Rubi XR has a 1.5” lift over any other model nothing more. There are no dedicated Rubi springs other then the XR. all the Rubi has is taller tires and a bit stiffer not taller springs. Yes you can get away with a shorter spring on the Rubi because it has high line fenders. Go measure a stock Rubi. I have.
Sponsored