Sponsored

Mopar LCA swap

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
My biggest thing is time.. I just need to make time to get them right. I called another place and they wanted to charge over $200 to take them back off and adjust...crazy. Gonna do it myself. I asked the shop today to pry the bracket off the brake line and they just cut it. So now the brackets for the old control arms are worthless. Not that i would be putting them back on, but thats not what i asked them to do. I also asked them to put the adjustable end towards the body and they did the opposite. All of this was written out.. not hard to follow.
I think a new shop is in order, that sucks!
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 1622768680266
Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It won't change measured caster, but it should change effective caster, right? Since both ball joints are now farther from the driving surface, the effective "steer ahead" should be greater.
That’s not measurable, though true.
What you're referring to is the 'mechanical trail'.

Increasing tire diameter should help, however an increased tire diameter usually also comes with other effects that make the increased mechanical trail negligible. I think a different pneumatic trail from different tire pressures or increased gyroscopic effect from the weight of the tire could have greater effects (and that's assuming you have the same tire make/model/load rating, and same wheel size/offset/weight). Also I believe wider and taller profile tires are more susceptible to tramlining anyway.

In short: Increasing tire diameter isn't a good way to make the steering better.

Somewhat related: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-lowering-tire-pressure-helps-steering.33315/

capture-png.png

Notams

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU, 1969 Mustang, 2007 Triumph Speed Triple, 1990 Yamaha FZR 600
Lol. I just read through all 29 pages of this thread and now know more than I ever wanted to know about installing LCA's, measuring caster, and how reading a computer screen for an hour gives me a headache. Thanks to all of the posters for taking the time to pass your knowledge.

Just when I had everything figured out and was getting ready to head out to the garage and install my Teraflex Alpine adjustables (may lift more in the future), Page 26 threw me off. Hurricanes99 asked if it was necessary to crack the torque on the UCA's when installing longer LCA's. Mwilk012 answered yes, it's a good idea. But from reading everyone else's installs, I don't recall anyone else ever mentioning this. It sounds logical, but I wonder how necessary it is if your not extending the LCA's by much.

I swapped out my stock Sport S suspension for Rubicon Springs and Shocks with a .5 inch front spacer lift (to level out rake). I got about 1.5" lift out of it, so I intend to go with 24-1/4 as initial adjustment on the LCA's. I am currently sitting at 5.5* caster and it is a little twitchy at speed.

So with all of that said, will a slight increase in length of the LCA's require a break and re-torque on the UCA's?

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. I just read through all 29 pages of this thread and now know more than I ever wanted to know about installing LCA's, measuring caster, and how reading a computer screen for an hour gives me a headache. Thanks to all of the posters for taking the time to pass your knowledge.

Just when I had everything figured out and was getting ready to head out to the garage and install my Teraflex Alpine adjustables (may lift more in the future), Page 26 threw me off. Hurricanes99 asked if it was necessary to crack the torque on the UCA's when installing longer LCA's. Mwilk012 answered yes, it's a good idea. But from reading everyone else's installs, I don't recall anyone else ever mentioning this. It sounds logical, but I wonder how necessary it is if your not extending the LCA's by much.

I swapped out my stock Sport S suspension for Rubicon Springs and Shocks with a .5 inch front spacer lift (to level out rake). I got about 1.5" lift out of it, so I intend to go with 24-1/4 as initial adjustment on the LCA's. I am currently sitting at 5.5* caster and it is a little twitchy at speed.

So with all of that said, will a slight increase in length of the LCA's require a break and re-torque on the UCA's?
I always do it on factory style bushings, but if you decide not to , don’t worry, your Jeep will not explode into flames....🔥....🤣..... and you’ll likely lift and change uppers before the oem wear out .🙂

Last edited:

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I don't think it does. If the premise is that the control arms are put in place with the vehicle setting on the ground loaded and then torqued, so that there is no load (twist) on the rubber bushings while at rest, then yes lifting it will put some twist into the upper bushings. However the twist is only a fraction of the total twist they see when the suspension is completely flexed. Well I suppose if you don't release and retorque them then at full flex now they are twisting more than they would. So does this shorten their life enough to warrant the effort to retorque them? I don't think so but each person can make up their own minds about it. It might also depend on how well equipped you are to do the torqueing. It is a major effort for some people (like me) to torque the lower ones so I would not attempt the upper ones. If a person has the equipment to do it easily then maybe go ahead.

Sponsored

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Manufacturer (core 4x4) recommended loosening upper control arms when installing longer lowers and then torquing back to spec with Jeep under weight. Not sure if most do that or not, but that’s what they told me. Uppers looked like a pita to get access to compared to lowers.

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Manufacturer (core 4x4) recommended loosening upper control arms when installing longer lowers and then torquing back to spec with Jeep under weight. Not sure if most do that or not, but that’s what they told me. Uppers looked like a pita to get access to compared to lowers.
Thinking about this a little bit more- I'm not sure the amount of rotation from changing LCA is significant compared to other factors, so that alone I don't think would justify messing with the UCA. IOW would loosening and tightening the bolts do more harm than good.

OTOH rethinking what I said just above, the amount of change to the UCA from installing a lift is much more significant and this might be the justification for adjusting the UCA. I agree that they are probably a pain in the butt to do so I'm not planning on adjusting mine.

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Thinking about this a little bit more- I'm not sure the amount of rotation from changing LCA is significant compared to other factors, so that alone I don't think would justify messing with the UCA. IOW would loosening and tightening the bolts do more harm than good.

OTOH rethinking what I said just above, the amount of change to the UCA from installing a lift is much more significant and this might be the justification for adjusting the UCA. I agree that they are probably a pain in the butt to do so I'm not planning on adjusting mine.
You can't adjust your upper control arms if they are stock. Core 4x4 stated it would cause some binding of the bushing in the uppers and may result in premature wear, but i'm not sure how much were talking just by moving the lowers out a 1/4".

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can't adjust your upper control arms if they are stock. Core 4x4 stated it would cause some binding of the bushing in the uppers and may result in premature wear, but i'm not sure how much were talking just by moving the lowers out a 1/4".
That was my point after I thought about it some more. The lowers only move out by 1/4", but for those of us who are changing lowers due to adding a lift, the uppers are moving down by 1.5-2". That's what makes the most difference in the deformation in the bushing.

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Another question.. so my new lca’s will help with wandering once adjusted correctly, but what would help with what I’m experiencing when I hit bridges or rough places in the road and the steering wheel shoots left or right? Sometimes it can be pretty violent. I have the newest steering damper and track bar from jeep. There is no death wobble, but it will definitely get your attention.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Another question.. so my new lca’s will help with wandering once adjusted correctly, but what would help with what I’m experiencing when I hit bridges or rough places in the road and the steering wheel shoots left or right? Sometimes it can be pretty violent. I have the newest steering damper and track bar from jeep. There is no death wobble, but it will definitely get your attention.
Might be experiencing bump steer, more pronounced w/ taller lifts though, here's a clip explaining it

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Got my new adjustable LCA's off and put back on last night. The shop that had put them on for me had totally fouled everything up. They changed the length back to stock even though i had them set at 24 1/4" pre install and they mounted the adjustable end at the axle even though i asked for the opposite. One thing i can say is torquing to 190 ft lbs even with the jeep on ramps was a pita. I used all new hardware from core 4x4 and ended up having to have a buddy hold a box wrench on one side while i torqued the other. There is no way one person could do this. Makes me wonder if the stock hardware would have grabbed once it was at a certain tightness? The new hardware continued to spin regardless without holding the other bolt or nut with the box wrench. Does anyone know if it matters when torquing the nut vs the bolt? Would it be accurate either way? I had to do that on some of the fasteners. Will post back once i have had a chance to get out on the highway some.

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got my new adjustable LCA's off and put back on last night. The shop that had put them on for me had totally fouled everything up. They changed the length back to stock even though i had them set at 24 1/4" pre install and they mounted the adjustable end at the axle even though i asked for the opposite. One thing i can say is torquing to 190 ft lbs even with the jeep on ramps was a pita. I used all new hardware from core 4x4 and ended up having to have a buddy hold a box wrench on one side while i torqued the other. There is no way one person could do this. Makes me wonder if the stock hardware would have grabbed once it was at a certain tightness? The new hardware continued to spin regardless without holding the other bolt or nut with the box wrench. Does anyone know if it matters when torquing the nut vs the bolt? Would it be accurate either way? I had to do that on some of the fasteners. Will post back once i have had a chance to get out on the highway some.
Doesn't matter which fastener you hold with the wrench and which one you use the torque wrench on.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
With the Mopar LCAs it wasn't too tough torquing them down to 190 w/ ramps, the 150lb torque wrench I used was easy to get clicked at 150, then a 2ft breaker bar another 45 degrees with my leg pushing the bar. Maybe those aftermarket bar fasteners don't play as nice though :(

hurricanes99

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
With the Mopar LCAs it wasn't too tough torquing them down to 190 w/ ramps, the 150lb torque wrench I used was easy to get clicked at 150, then a 2ft breaker bar another 45 degrees with my leg pushing the bar. Maybe those aftermarket bar fasteners don't play as nice though :(
Yea maybe the fasteners had some effect. The bolt kept spinning on the washer regardless of torque... thats why i'm saying it was tough. One hand on the box wrench and the other on the torque wrench and then try to torque to 190 laying on your back pushing up.. I would like to think I'm strong, but damn that was tough..lol. Definatley helped when my buddy showed up to assist. I hope the ride is better and worth the cost and effort. I do plan to get a lift and hate the thought of removing the LCA's again to compensate for the lift height.
Sponsored