When my Jeep had stock suspension, wheel, and tires:

• Total voters

G35Coupe

First Name
VK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon, 2019 BMW M4 Conv 30 Jahre Ed.
I'm joining the club with the death wobble at 17k miles. 2021 Rubicon JLU. In So. Cal.
Dreading dealing with the dealer...
Sponsored

Last edited:

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
19K on the odometer of my totally stock, non off-roaded 2022 JLUSS. Up until Friday, drove perfect.

Friday the temps dropped to the 30s. Hit a slight bump coming off a bridge and about shit my pants, my first experience with what I assume is death wobble. Lasted maybe 1-2 seconds?

Today, it's in the high 20s, hit a bump in the road and it did it again, ever so briefly. WTF?

Can't believe anything would be worn out already.
Same road, same speed, same expansion joints, same high 20s temps..... nothin. I hope that continues.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Road force balance your tires. That fixed the 2 second steering shake I started getting from expansion joints. After that you’ll need to start replacing parts beginning with the steering stabilizer and then the track bar. Very frustrating.

XX4XEXX

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Sheet is a wives tale! Lol.

Sponsored

martoaj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Sahara 4XE
Hate to think it's weather related, but this exact thing just happened on my '22 Sahara. I've been driving with zero issues all spring/summer/fall ... loving this truck and thinking this death wobble talk is nonsense. But driving on the parkway last week, first time this truck has seen anything resembling cold weather (35*F), and I had a pronounced front-end wobble when hitting standard expansion joints at anything over 55 mph.

My tires were reading ~33-34 psi cold, so I brought 'em all up to 38 cold. I feel like it helped reduce the wobbles considerably, but I still had a few sketchy moments driving this weekend again in ~30*F temps on the freeway. Maybe 5% of the bumps I hit led to a wobble. So frustrating, particularly when the truck tracks straight normally and I have no discernible vibration through the seat or steering wheel.

I only have 4200 miles on the truck, too 🙃 I'm already going into the dealership for recall work next week, hoping they can tack this onto the agenda. It's hard to explain what having that sort of inconsistent wobble does to your confidence while driving. Soon as you lose confidence, it completely changes how you drive. In a very bad way.
Dropped off at the dealer today for a host of things (3 recalls, yay!) including my highway speed wobble. The service adviser was not surprised to hear about the issue, even with the low miles, and said they'll investigate. He immediately said that they typically start with the "steering damper" -- I assume he means stabilizer -- as they're often bad from the factory.

He also said cold temperatures can exacerbate problems with a damper/stabilizer that is already borderline. Checks out with my experience, but we'll see. No ETA on the fix of course, but hopefully they'll at least find a thread to follow soon.

PatrickR

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
So I spent $80 and replaced the steering damper with an aftermarket one. What a world of difference!

When I pulled the old damper off it was obvious why. There's a slight bit of play in the stock damper where there's essentially no damping. I'd guess that's a cause of a lot of these issues.

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
As a data analyst, you should calc the % per each model, as in the current output you have sport death wobble and rubi death wobble reporting similar percentages, when in the sport its 50 % of respondents and rubi only like 15%

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0

OldBackpacker

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL - Sport
Occupation
Retired
2018 JL Sport, stock. DW 7X this week at hwy speed. Took to dealer. Results: Front dampers ruined and track bar damaged. Investigation from dealer ad FCA revealed that this DW was probably caused by factory defective front dampers, which then damaged the track bar. Dampers are covered by an 'extended warranty' from FCA. However, trey did not accept responsibility for the track bar. I filed complaint with FCA customer service at 800 334 9200 and was given a CASE #. Possibly to hear back in 1-2 days or will continue to pester them in a 'friendly' manner until reply. The defective part caused the damage to the track bar and I seek to get them to pick up the tab. No really optimistic, but,,,
Sponsored