Sponsored

3.0 Torque Curves

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I've was wondering how all the aftermarket baseline dyno curves compare to each other, and found a neat website that lets you convert images into CSV data www.graphreader.com (also using onlinecamscanner.com to correct the out-of-skew images stolen borrowed from videos). So with some work, I've collected some baseline 3.0 dyno charts and plotted them out together. If you know of any more, feel free to share.

Some observations:
  • automobile-catalog.com provides engine torque that has been estimated by a computer. I'm not sure how they do this, but I found that factoring 85% for drivetrain losses puts it about in the correct spot. Unfortunately the curve doesn't really match all the other data.
  • FCA's published figures also match up at around 85% for drivetrain loss
  • None of the plots look accurate below 3000 RPM
  • not all dynos measure power equally
Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 Torque Curves 3.0 Stock Torque Curves

Sources:
Sponsored

Last edited:

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
I believe one of the members here posted a curve from a mustang dyno.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
I've was wondering how all the aftermarket baseline dyno curves compare to each other, and found a neat website that lets you convert images into CSV data www.graphreader.com (also using onlinecamscanner.com to correct the out-of-skew images stolen borrowed from videos). So with some work, I've collected some baseline 3.0 dyno charts and plotted them out together. If you know of any more, feel free to share.

Some observations:
  • automobile-catalog.com provides engine torque that has been estimated by a computer. I'm not sure how they do this, but I found that factoring 85% for drivetrain losses puts it about in the correct spot. Unfortunately the curve doesn't really match all the other data.
  • FCA's published figures also match up at around 85% for drivetrain loss
  • None of the plots look accurate below 3000 RPM
  • not all dynos measure power equally
3.0 Stock Torque Curves.png

Sources:
In 6th gear(1:1) the motor is lugging pretty hard at low RPM. Starting off at 1,000 RPMish is about the lowest possible. If you allow the RPM to drop any further the trans shifts to 5th automatically.

Once the motor gets up over 2,000 RPM it really starts to pick up.

The weird torque curve I think is the “stock” one which is flat for the most part. No one else’s looks flat like that.

Also it’s problematic to Dyno these diesel motors because in 6th gear you hit the 96 MPH speed limiter before you fully wind the motor out to red line.

So between the motor lugging at 1,000 RPM and the speed limiter preventing you from hitting redline it makes it hard to get a good reading.

Casey250 Dyno’ his in 5th gear for the top end reason but that alters the output a bit. Also AFE used 5th gear. I wonder how many others used 5th gear as well?

Last edited:
OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
According to this, the torque is limited in lower gears (or at least 5th gear). Since they appear to be applying some sort of correction factor to make these look like crankshaft numbers, I don't think I want to compare this to the other WHP dynos.

This also makes me question the integrity of all the data above, as I was not keeping track of what gear was being measured. I highly doubt most were using 6th gear, as it would also require turning off the speed limiter to achieve a full pull to redline.

Brown = Stock 5th gear torque (corrected?)
Blue = Stock 6th gear torque (corrected?)

Jeep Wrangler JL 3.0 Torque Curves Gen3-graph-1024x708
Sponsored