Sponsored

OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
As most are aware, the OEM steel bumper leaves much to be desired when it comes to strength. I am satisfied with the way the OEM bumper looks, and don't want to change to an aftermarket rear bumper. Please be aware that this is not the cheapest route, and that ultimate strength was not my final goal. I really don't want to discuss any opinions on why I should get rid of this bumper or the costs associated with doing this, but welcome any comments on how to improve my setup with the stock steel bumper.

The steel bumper itself is actually fairly strong, but it is how it is attached to the frame that allows for deflection. This deflection is known to push up into body, causing sheet metal and paint damage. The issue is most obvious at the corners, as the bumper can be moved by leaning on it with your bodyweight.

1. The first modification was Maximus-3's rear tow loops. The idea here was to scrape these before the bumper, and I can say that I have definitely dragged these across a few rocks. While they don't look exactly stock, they are close enough for me and would fool most non-jeep people. It's worth noting that these don't reduce the departure angle much more than the OEM hitch.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements jl-closed-rear-tow-loops

2. Part two is Adventure Rack Systems (ARS) by MetalCloak's rear brackets, which are produced for their Rocklander Rack System. This is not a kit that is available online yet and I had to call to get it ordered. Edit: This is now available as a kit here. These brackets are also not specifically made for protecting the body/bumper contact, but I've found that it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not sure how much load these can take, but ARS says the entire rack system can hold 350 pounds of dynamic load, or 800 pounds of static load (both which include the rack itself).

These brackets are much thicker than the OEM brackets they replace, and are a two piece design which ties the bumper mounting points together. The inner bracket operates in shear, and any movement will be from the short OEM "L" bracket attached to the frame. Installation instructions start on page 19. Better instructions located here

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220323_010857699.MP

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220323_011658652

Note that this is the incorrect larger bracket shown below. ARS shipped the wrong one, but their awesome customer service got me the correct bracket above. The black bracket on the left side is what the rack would normally mount to and not used in my application.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220310_012459517

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220310_012157187

Stock Bracket:
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220310_012240736

Not-so scientific results... check the fender gap before when jacking up the rear:

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20210410_183057877

With the ARS brackets the bumper moved less than 1/8" on the same test. Note that only one side is installed in this photo, and I suspect it will get even less deflection when both sides are completed.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220323_013318188
Sponsored

Last edited:

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Very nice! It looks like the recovery points are $195 (although currently on back order), how much are the brackets?

Last edited:
Reactions: DGT

Krondor

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL - Punk'n Edition
Build Thread
Link
Great write up. I'll have to ask about those braces.

Odyssey USA

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Very ingenuitive!

Your concerns that you are addressing is why I’ve not pursued a factory metal rear bumper. I decided to keep the plastic to keep weight down and hopefully not have the bumper damage the body if it did move.

I still have my plastic rear bumper attached only because of the Maximus tow points. It did transfer some plastic on a body corner once though. The plastic flaked off easy enough. How that happened was I misjudged throttle timing going across a deep ditch, compressing the rear suspension some, and slammed the rear a little. The right rear loop kept the bumper safe while 2k miles from home. Just some light scrub marks on the plastic is the only evidence.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Very nice! It looks like the recovery points are $195 (although currently on back order), how much are the brackets?
$309 with free shipping.

You might be able to get them for less if you can talk them into selling just the inner/outer brackets & hardware. What I received was also the black mount that goes above the bumper, which I have no use for (yet).

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon
As most are aware, the OEM steel bumper leaves much to be desired when it comes to strength. I am satisfied with the way the OEM bumper looks, and don't want to change to an aftermarket rear bumper. Please be aware that this is not the cheapest route, and that ultimate strength was not my final goal. I really don't want to discuss any opinions on why I should get rid of this bumper or the costs associated with doing this, but welcome any comments on how to improve my setup with the stock steel bumper.

The steel bumper itself is actually fairly strong, but it is how it is attached to the frame that allows for deflection. This deflection is known to push up into body, causing sheet metal and paint damage. The issue is most obvious at the corners, as the bumper can be moved by leaning on it with your bodyweight.

1. The first modification was Maximus-3's rear tow loops. The idea here was to scrape these before the bumper, and I can say that I have definitely dragged these across a few rocks. While they don't look exactly stock, they are close enough for me and would fool most non-jeep people. It's worth noting that these don't reduce the departure angle much more than the OEM hitch.

Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements PXL_20220323_013318188

2. Part two is Adventure Rack Systems (ARS) by MetalCloak's rear brackets, which are produced for their Rocklander Rack System. This is not a kit that is available online yet and I had to call to get it ordered. These brackets are also not specifically made for protecting the body/bumper contact, but I've found that it's definitely a step in the right direction. I'm not sure how much load these can take, but ARS says the entire rack system can hold 350 pounds of dynamic load, or 800 pounds of static load (both which include the rack itself).

These brackets are much thicker than the OEM brackets they replace, and are a two piece design which ties the bumper mounting points together. The inner bracket operates in shear, and any movement will be from the short OEM "L" bracket attached to the frame. Installation instructions start on page 19.

Note that this is the incorrect larger bracket shown below. ARS shipped the wrong one, but their awesome customer service got me the correct bracket above. The black bracket on the left side is what the rack would normally mount to and not used in my application.

Stock Bracket:

Not-so scientific results... check the fender gap before when jacking up the rear:

With the ARS brackets the bumper moved less than 1/8" on the same test. Note that only one side is installed in this photo, and I suspect it will get even less deflection when both sides are completed.

I think this is great! I’m also a fan of how the OEM rear bumper looks but I noticed the flimsy brackets when I switch the plastic OEM for the steel OEM. I’m definitely doing this. Thanks.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
And I really like the rear tow loops!

Sponsored

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Have you got anything else planned? Any ideas for the front bumper?
Nothing else planned for the rear bumper yet, but I do think that the remaining factory brackets shown in this video at 4:23 could be improved.

The front bumper seems to be doing okay with my current setup: Maximus-3's tow loops and winch plate. While the front tow loops probably reduce the strength due to the holes needed, the winch plate definitely ties the front frame together in a good way. I've seen other winch plates that have mounting holes for the fairlead too, which should be even stronger.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the brackets replace a part that RokBlokz uses to mount to. This piece is factory and comes out correct?
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements 1648043154849

OP
OP
AnnDee4444

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Seems excessive for bracing. ($309)
It is, but it's still cheaper than body damage.

It looks like the brackets replace a part that RokBlokz uses to mount to. This piece is factory and comes out correct?
1648043154849.png
Correct. Do you happen to have a photo or installation instructions for those?

Herson

First Name
Herson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Wrangler unlimited rubicon

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I took a pic and remembered they don’t mount to that bracket, they provide a different L bracket that sits in front of it and uses the same bolts.
Jeep Wrangler JL OEM steel bumper & rock rail improvements 9DC281B1-2999-4F1B-A20E-D21F044EA502
Sponsored