Death Wobble

Cjfranco

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep Gladiator Sport
I had a 3.5 inch Rough Country lift kit installed on 2021 Gladiator Sport with 35in mud claw tires and im having problems with death Wobble I had an alignment done but the camber left side -0.3 & right is-0.7. The cater left side -0.3 & right -0.0. Tow left is 0.09 right is 0.08 would that be the reason why I'm getting death Wobble. I checked Torque specs and they're good

16413499425268099188620269246143.jpg
Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I had a 3.5 inch Rough Country lift kit installed on 2021 Gladiator Sport with 35in mud claw tires and im having problems with death Wobble I had an alignment done but the camber left side -0.3 & right is-0.7. The cater left side -0.3 & right -0.0. Tow left is 0.09 right is 0.08 would that be the reason why I'm getting death Wobble. I checked Torque specs and they're good

Jeep Wrangler JL Death Wobble 16413499425268099188620269246143
It looks like the kit you got doesn’t supply anything for caster correction. Your caster on a 3.5” lift should be at 6 degrees. Your caster is way to low. Do you have a link to the exact kit you installed ?

OP
OP

Cjfranco

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It looks like the kit you got doesn’t supply anything for caster correction. Your caster on a 3.5” lift should be at 6 degrees. Your caster is way to low. Do you have a link to the exact kit you installed ?

Rough Country 3.50-Inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N3 Shocks Item JG2386

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Rough Country 3.50-Inch Suspension Lift Kit with Premium N3 Shocks Item JG2386
Yeah there’s nothing to correct caster in that kit….. get some rough country front adjustable lower control arms and adjust them to 24.5” center to center of the connecting holes, and install them. That should give you a good starting spot. Check caster and adjust them accordingly to get caster to around 6 degrees. That should straighten up the camber numbers a little bit, but don’t worry about those numbers until you get caster straightened out. This will make it drive a lot better and subside the DW you’re experiencing, unless something else is going on, but you have to get caster right first, then you can go from there.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
another source of DW is warn our bushings or ball joints, you want to get under there and check for extra play while someone wiggles the steering wheel

Sponsored

OP
OP

Cjfranco

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok thanks will do

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
With such a new vehicle, I'm not sure it's the ball joints, but it could be. As I've upgraded and modified my Jeep I had to add the things mentioned in this thread along the way to make it right.

I recently replaced my balljoints with Dynatrack, and believe it solved my DW. I have just about all steermarts installed in the front. It drives so nice now that I went ahead and ordered the draglink also.

Exact Center

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
johnd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Rubicon 392 XR
Occupation
Inventor
Vehicle Showcase
With such a new vehicle, I'm not sure it's the ball joints, but it could be. As I've upgraded and modified my Jeep I had to add the things mentioned in this thread along the way to make it right.

I recently replaced my balljoints with Dynatrack, and believe it solved my DW. I have just about all steermarts installed in the front. It drives so nice now that I went ahead and ordered the draglink also.

Tomorrow I think Tony will have higher pressure units to test.
Give Exact Center a hard look to stop DW and other driving issues. We will let you test our stop DW with the Exact Center.

Call Tony if you have DW and want it stopped.
Tony will be there if you have questions or need help, he is a Jeeper having built many. His latest project is a 2004 rubicon, he has a 1989 Comanche with 11" lift 35's and Exact Center he says he has driven 90 no hands-on I-75. I will skip that ride. Youth has no fear. Todd his dad has a TJ seen on the backing video. It has 4" long arm lift 33's 313 Mopar V8 and a 75lb Exact Center and he to says 85 no hands even in the wind on I-75 no big deal, That too I will skip. Today I drove my 2021 JLUR 392 XR 35"s and 3-4" factory lift with 75lb Exact Center and on that 80-85 no hands is no issue. The car drives as well as any SUV, Suburban, new Truck, and even 9 out of 10 cars. It is perfect even in 16 degrees below this morning. You can guess we live and breath Exact Center now for the last 22 years. We also invented The Blue Ox RV TruCenter which was great at the time, but nowhere as good as Exact Center. It used a single gas spring that was compressed in right or left turns by means of a Rubiks Cube level puzzle of 4 steel tubes. Users loved it as it had Dynamic center on the fly adjustment. We have a new trim on the fly hydraulic add-on for the EC, but it will be sold for RV and big tricks. Kind of a show-off thing RV's like, Jeep people like to run over things to show off.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Tomorrow I think Tony will have higher pressure units to test.
Give Exact Center a hard look to stop DW and other driving issues. We will let you test our stop DW with the Exact Center.

Call Tony if you have DW and want it stopped.
Tony will be there if you have questions or need help, he is a Jeeper having built many. His latest project is a 2004 rubicon, he has a 1989 Comanche with 11" lift 35's and Exact Center he says he has driven 90 no hands-on I-75. I will skip that ride. Youth has no fear. Todd his dad has a TJ seen on the backing video. It has 4" long arm lift 33's 313 Mopar V8 and a 75lb Exact Center and he to says 85 no hands even in the wind on I-75 no big deal, That too I will skip. Today I drove my 2021 JLUR 392 XR 35"s and 3-4" factory lift with 75lb Exact Center and on that 80-85 no hands is no issue. The car drives as well as any SUV, Suburban, new Truck, and even 9 out of 10 cars. It is perfect even in 16 degrees below this morning. You can guess we live and breath Exact Center now for the last 22 years. We also invented The Blue Ox RV TruCenter which was great at the time, but nowhere as good as Exact Center. It used a single gas spring that was compressed in right or left turns by means of a Rubiks Cube level puzzle of 4 steel tubes. Users loved it as it had Dynamic center on the fly adjustment. We have a new trim on the fly hydraulic add-on for the EC, but it will be sold for RV and big tricks. Kind of a show-off thing RV's like, Jeep people like to run over things to show off.

I moved to 37" ko2's with a brand new set of 392 axles and I have been getting Death Wobble even with the 110lb Exact Center. Had multiple alignments done and have the shop re torque everything down a second time. Not sure how the balljoints could be bad with less than 1k miles on them but my last hope is a set of Dynatrac HD ones will cure it.

Maybe I should've gone with the 130lb version

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
I moved to 37" ko2's with a brand new set of 392 axles and I have been getting Death Wobble even with the 110lb Exact Center. Had multiple alignments done and have the shop re torque everything down a second time. Not sure how the balljoints could be bad with less than 1k miles on them but my last hope is a set of Dynatrac HD ones will cure it.

Maybe I should've gone with the 130lb version
Please post your alignment specs. If it's death wobble, it is almost certainly an issue of caster. When you replaced your axles, did you use adjustable control arms?

Sponsored

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please post your alignment specs. If it's death wobble, it is almost certainly an issue of caster. When you replaced your axles, did you use adjustable control arms?
I have a full Clayton Off-Road 2.5" Overland Kit installed. I have the Synergy Steering Stabilizer relocation bracket installed as well. I'll have to find the last notes from the shop, maybe I can see what they set it at.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It was 6.8 on the driver side and 7.0 on the passenger side but we changed it around after I was getting really bad DW. I had the Clayton SS Relocation bracket and it was a death trap. Put the synergy back on and hadn't had any issues until today.

Waiting to get a response from the shop on what we ended up changing it to.

Clayton Off Road

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It was 6.8 on the driver side and 7.0 on the passenger side but we changed it around after I was getting really bad DW. I had the Clayton SS Relocation bracket and it was a death trap. Put the synergy back on and hadn't had any issues until today.

Waiting to get a response from the shop on what we ended up changing it to.
Brackets shouldn't cause any issues with death wobble, usually it's either a worn-out steering component or something has just come loose. I would have your shop double-check tie rod ends, make sure jam nuts are tight on all control arms, track bars, and end links, and then look into the steering stabilizer as some of the factory ones did have some issues. Give us a call if you're still having a hard time chasing down the problem we're always happy to help!

Also, 7 degrees of caster is a little on the high side, have you experimented with less, possibly around 5.5 - 6 degrees? This is usually where we find best results.

NyRey87

First Name
Nyles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Brackets shouldn't cause any issues with death wobble, usually it's either a worn-out steering component or something has just come loose. I would have your shop double-check tie rod ends, make sure jam nuts are tight on all control arms, track bars, and end links, and then look into the steering stabilizer as some of the factory ones did have some issues. Give us a call if you're still having a hard time chasing down the problem we're always happy to help!

Also, 7 degrees of caster is a little on the high side, have you experimented with less, possibly around 5.5 - 6 degrees? This is usually where we find best results.

Yes I had them go over and Re-tighten everything.

I would tend to agree with you but the flat side of the SS relocation bracket on the round side of the tire rod was slipping no matter how hard I tightened it. I think the dual round sides of the Synergy works better for me.

Also the Axles had 80 miles on them so I doubt anything is worn out.

I just ordered Dynatrac HD Ball joints and Teraflex Tierod and Drag Link
Sponsored