Sponsored

3.6 engine and 87 octane a no-no

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Its funny how the Jeep rides like a truck, is high up like a truck, but the engine is really not like a truck.
I think the 3.6 does have the highest redline of any Wrangler ever produced, and possibly the highest RPM @ peak HP as a result. :bandit:
Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It's worth mentioning that camshaft overlap and VVT play a pretty big part in the effective compression ratio.

Also timing advance can be the cause of pinging.
agreed

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Not sure how mine hasn't exploded on 85 yet :fingerscrossed:
U live in high altitude area I wager . I don't recall stations selling anything lower then 87 here in so. fl.

1quick1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Vehicle Showcase
U live in high altitude area I wager . I don't recall stations selling anything lower then 87 here in so. fl.
It's true. Most higher altitude places have 85 or 86. Going from 85 to 87 here is often .30-.40 cents higher. Everywhere else I've lived has been 87, 89, 91 and 93.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
It's true. Most higher altitude places have 85 or 86. Going from 85 to 87 here is often .30-.40 cents higher. Everywhere else I've lived has been 87, 89, 91 and 93.
In high altitude , ur engine intake has some volumetric losses . It's less likely to go lean. Hence u only need the cheaper stuff.

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
What I don't understand is the hate on people that say they run the higher octane gas. Not hurting anybody but themselves as we are the ones spending 60-70 cents more a gallon (or at least here in NETX).If you all get by with 87 or lower, that is great and I am glad you are able to spend less. I am not in the boat saying 93 is cleaner or whatever for my engine.

I just DISLIKE to hear the rattle the pinging produces and the 93 cleans it up considerably. Yes, the factory tune is the culprit for the ping. Whether it's running too lean OR the fast upshifts (which cruising thru town I can be in 6th and only going 30-35mph), I don't know.

Either way, I'm tuning this 3.6l to get more efficiency with the 93 I am running. If I'm paying for it, might as well get more power, more torque, more mpg's.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
WHY IS THIS THREAD STILL GOING?!?!

This has got to be one of the most confounding phenomena inherent to online car forums...every single site has the same thread, and it NEVER DIES. I know of a site for a car that hasn't been built in 24 years and the thread STILL RAGES!!!

What I don't understand is the hate on people that say they run the higher octane gas.
The hate isn't for people who run premium. The hate is for the people who insist that you MUST run premium or you will destroy your vehicle. No one cares if spending more on your fuel helps you sleep at night...we all have funny quirks like that...you do you. But stop bugging me about it. Ya know?

Johnbuz

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Tribeca
For me its a therapy session because I can't force FCA to make the factory tune better. 😊

OP
OP

Petey

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport manual
Sounds like a lugging issue, or the OEM tune is too advanced at that spot.

Anyone with a tune have this issue?

This has got to be one of the most confounding phenomena inherent to online car forums...every single site has the same thread, and it NEVER DIES. I know of a site for a car that hasn't been built in 24 years and the thread STILL RAGES!!!

The hate isn't for people who run premium. The hate is for the people who insist that you MUST run premium or you will destroy your vehicle. No one cares if spending more on your fuel helps you sleep at night...we all have funny quirks like that...you do you. But stop bugging me about it. Ya know?
You're welcome

Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I occasionally run non-ethanol, and that beats em all. Honestly, before you worry about octane (and you should not), worry about this. Oh, I get better mpg too, suspect the engine runs cooler by about 6 degrees too.

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL

So are you saying you run 93?

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I dumped some of the lucass magic oil in the tank. It took a few miles but now it's mixed in well and a definite difference is felt . Of idle it would have some jerking (torque spikes)and u could hear some pinging . Cant hear it no more ...and finally of idle accel is smooth. 87 octane is definitely not good for our cars . The spark advance is too much and possibly running lean also. So my advice if ur going with low octane pour some octane booster the fuel spark curve will work much better. And yes its bone stock
Let the show begin. Snake oil anyone?

Tread4Lo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 w/ 3.0
Windows down and just cruising in town. If you had the music off with windows up, you would probably hear it too.

You don’t need to be like Fido with your head out to hear it.
Sponsored