First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Family of 4 down in Texas. Long story short we make a lotta trips to Colorado-looking for land. This Feb-Sep I put nearly 30K on a '03 yukon (4.1 Tranny) we are original owners to. It's 300K+, so we will save it for the kids when they drive.

Anyway, broke a tie rod on it and was thinking some more clearance and a removable top might be nice. I also got tired of dodging jeeps on the trails....

After a few beverages one sunday I located a pretty damn near loaded JLUR manual about 100m s of me. I filled out the credit app, got 0 for 3 years and was told by the dealer it was in stock and they would get me a price. They came at me with nearly 10% off msrp with me taking the financing. Picked it up the next day.

Yakima poles with the 1a clamps in the drip rail.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0584

Got a Warn zeon 10 on a local stubby installed. Not lifting, this height is good for hwy and trails, or at least I will drive it without a lift for a couple years.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0590

ARB single in the back. Still waiting on air hose kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0591

I've a bit of stuff incoming still.
Sponsored

grandsrus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Family of 4 down in Texas. Long story short we make a lotta trips to Colorado-looking for land. This Feb-Sep I put nearly 30K on a '03 yukon (4.1 Tranny) we are original owners to. It's 300K+, so we will save it for the kids when they drive.

Anyway, broke a tie rod on it and was thinking some more clearance and a removable top might be nice. I also got tired of dodging jeeps on the trails....

After a few beverages one sunday I located a pretty damn near loaded JLUR manual about 100m s of me. I filled out the credit app, got 0 for 3 years and was told by the dealer it was in stock and they would get me a price. They came at me with nearly 10% off msrp with me taking the financing. Picked it up the next day.

Yakima poles with the 1a clamps in the drip rail.

Got a Warn zeon 10 on a local stubby installed. Not lifting, this height is good for hwy and trails, or at least I will drive it without a lift for a couple years.

ARB single in the back. Still waiting on air hose kit.

I've a bit of stuff incoming still.
Dude beautiful!
LMK if you want to get plugged in to others in the Southlake area.

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Currently waiting on a number of shipments:
1 recovery gear
2 Arb compressor acc pack (slowest !#%!$ shipment ever)
3 roof basket
4 Outback Adventures rear table.
5 rotopax and associated hardware.

To do:
Install MXT400, need to order the power jumper thingy from quadratic. I hate doing dash work....
Order 2dr rubicon for wife.

Last edited:
OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, it's still summer here. I am itching to get back to Co. to fish before it gets too nasty. Prob hit the Lake City Area, maybe camp American Basin or somewhere.

The jeep passed 900m. Nothing leaking underneath. I checked on jeep mopar for recalls, this unit was built 6/20, so it supposed is not under the manual clutch recall.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0609

I put it on the Battery Tender to give it a full charge the other day. Plan on doing this 2x or so a month with all the city driving I do. I absolutely do not like the dual battery set up. I know that can be turned off with the push of a button, but IMO, it's another failure point. I wish jeep would not have added this in a vehicle we plan to take to places without service facilities.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0612

I do have the AL steering box. Not really alarmed about it. I figure if it heats up, I will find a dealer. Since it's supposed to be freaking 98 tomorrow, we will know soon enough.

Got the sil plates installed, also finally got my arb accessory kit that I ordered nearly a month ago w the compressor. The load warrior will arrive this week, will get the rotopax 3g mount up there with a shovel mount as well.

I've all the items to mount my MXT-400. I really don't like the mounting options. There is nothing close to a ground plane on this. I purchased the Kraken Offroad antenna mount, it's a 1/2" that needs to be drilled to 3/4. This supposedly tucks in neatly not harming the jeeps finish behind the spare tire. I will go through the port on the rear hatch and under carpet to probably mount the unit on the side of the shift box.

Also got an email with a tracking number from outdoor adventures, the rear hatch table will arrive this week. I will prob run nmo cable when installing that since I am yanking the plastic off the rear hatch for the table.

I see about 2000 miles over the course of a week or so coming up. Hopefully this jeep can be as trusty as my 02 yukon has been.

I've got the wife looking at 2drs, she wants a sarge green JLUR, green top and fenders, steel bumper group, and the nice radio and safety groups, we found one down in Austin, has everything she wants but is the full time 4wd. We may order her one. I imagine that ft 4wd is nice on a daily driver in various conditions (like an audi in denver), but don't really know how it works with sway bar and low and solid axle and such......

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0592

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0593

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The Kraken antenna mount got drilled to 3/4" and mounted, I took the finish off for grounding at the antenna....I can pull the antenna wire in about 5 minutes for a roof rack mount if need be. Did a quick check with the multimeter.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0617

Got the Outdoor Adventures rear table mounted. Man it's pricier than others...but dead quiet, great construction (prefer stainless to something with a surface texture), tight and clean fit, takes about 10 minutes to install.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0620

You can see the antenna cable in the lower left. I need to adjust/trim some of the foam on the right reveal. Tomorrow, roof rack and rotopax.

Also broke down and ordered a CDI 1/2" drive torque wrench for when I need to rotate my tires. Don't want to spend the coin on williams impact drivers to just rotate tires. I already have the CDI 3/8 and 1/4 torques but those are inch pounds (I use them for rifle work).

Sponsored

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Racks mounted. Rotopax installed on rack. Putting a shovel mount on today.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0624

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Still working on the mxt400, might do that this week if I have time to pull dash.

Considering a Gensis Dual Battery setup with the monitor.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
Racks mounted. Rotopax installed on rack. Putting a shovel mount on today.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0624
Good looking jeep! Is that a RiverQuiver or a Rod Vault? I'd like to know what inside (to protect the rods), if you don't mind .

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Good looking jeep! Is that a RiverQuiver or a Rod Vault? I'd like to know what inside (to protect the rods), if you don't mind .
Howdy BullMoose. It is a Thule RodVault for 2 rods, they also make a 4 rod version. Thule bought out Denver Outfitters. The newer models such as this one are stiffer in the rod area. Parts can be purchased either at denver outfitters or thule.

This unit was purchased last year, got it on the Yukon this spring, spent many miles (over 30K) with no damage on any rods or panted reels. Inside is teflon lined. I leave nymph rigs strung in them with no issues. There is a max reel size though so if your salt check.

Your bars will need to be at least 30" apart to clamp both sections, although the directions say you don't have to, it makes me feel better. On steel yakima bars w 1a gutter clamps it does not interfere w the rear glass opening.

I will put you some better photos this pm.

Sponsored

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, the Genesis Dual will be here by friday with a pair of Odyssey Extreme group 25 batteries. So I guess I will have to go get a growler fill.

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Welp Friday after dinner my 10yo helped me with the install he loves working the ratchets, I got to have a beer and jam tunes listening to the Dead show on KNON

....very pleased with it so far, I need to run the charger on it a good 24 still....batteries (odyssey extreme) were a fresh 12.7.

Sidenote when I pulled the OEM batteries the main read 12.79 and the aux 12.5, not bad, but that is after 1500 miles of not really using SSA.

The install took a couple hours, we ran some COMS wires through the boot in the firewall (where your supposed to do it vs the clutch knockout)....I have a clutch :rock:.

We also put the winch to the AUX battery. I really wished I had an ARB harness on hand to just run while all the crap is out of the engine compartment. I don't have plans for a fridge, but, having good power back there for anything would not be a bad idea.

I did plug in the g-screen monitoring device, pretty cool, still deciding where to mount in cab, I would like to put it up on top of the rearview, but no clue how to get there, and have FCW. Need to read more. I hate jacking w trim.

Fit and finish of the kit are perfect, and the install is very easy with a 3/8th set. Long sockets help in a few places, but not necessary as well as extensions. Thanks @Genesis Offroad

Also went and looked at a Sarge Green JLUR with the one touch roof, and tan leather for the wife. It has more options than this one and is a little more. She wants her own. The green and tan works, very sharp classic combo.

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0636

Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0640
Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0642
Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0643
Jeep Wrangler JL '20 JLUR (manual) Gray for TX/CO use IMG_0644

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
Looking good Neil!
We recently filmed a video on how to install the G Screen in a JL. That one should be edited and up on our youtube page real soon!

OP
OP
neil

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Looking good Neil!
We recently filmed a video on how to install the G Screen in a JL. That one should be edited and up on our youtube page real soon!
Cool, will look for it!