2019 JLUS 3.6 MT Lower-Engine Noise = Engine Swap!!!

MOS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLR 6MT (Sarge), ‘21 JLU 2.0T (Hella Yella)
So... around 12.5k miles my Sahara started to exhibit a ticking sound in the engine, mostly between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm in 1st through 3rd.

Brought it in a few k miles later and had the local dealership tell me it was my clutch. Sounded odd to me, but I learned about the clutch recall and turns out I had also been having a few of the related symptoms of that issue (loss of clutch-grab, weird noises, etc.). They did the recall work, which resulted in not just the normal changes around related components but actually a complete replacement of both my clutch and flywheel.

When I picked it up... zero change to the original noise!

Brought it to a different local dealership (Triangle area of NC), which the local sheriff's office uses (and therefore should be decent / better than the first one). They confirmed the sound was indeed in the engine and specifically is in the lower-engine area.

Learned yesterday that they are doing a complete engine swap!!! I mean, okay... but I'm a little concerned about having that done outside the factory.

Questions:

1) Does this sound reasonable? I'm being told that I won't know the root cause until they do the final write-up for FCA, and they had also talked about doing an engine rebuild instead of a swap.

2) What should I be mindful of after they're done?

Thanks in advance to the JL collective!

mos

Advertisement

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So... around 12.5k miles my Sahara started to exhibit a ticking sound in the engine, mostly between 2.5k and 3.5k rpm in 1st through 3rd.

Brought it in a few k miles later and had the local dealership tell me it was my clutch. Sounded odd to me, but I learned about the clutch recall and turns out I had also been having a few of the related symptoms of that issue (loss of clutch-grab, weird noises, etc.). They did the recall work, which resulted in not just the normal changes around related components but actually a complete replacement of both my clutch and flywheel.

When I picked it up... zero change to the original noise!

Brought it to a different local dealership (Triangle area of NC), which the local sheriff's office uses (and therefore should be decent / better than the first one). They confirmed the sound was indeed in the engine and specifically is in the lower-engine area.

Learned yesterday that they are doing a complete engine swap!!! I mean, okay... but I'm a little concerned about having that done outside the factory.

Questions:

1) Does this sound reasonable? I'm being told that I won't know the root cause until they do the final write-up for FCA, and they had also talked about doing an engine rebuild instead of a swap.

2) What should I be mindful of after they're done?

Thanks in advance to the JL collective!

mos
Just at a 30,000 foot view, I would rather have a dealer replace the engine than open it up and try to replace parts related to the issue.

Might want to ask if it is a BRAND new engine. Don’t quote me 100% but I have seen a few members state that FCA can replace warranty related parts (in this case your engine) with remanufactured parts.

OP

MOS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great input... thank you! I will validate that the new engine is brand new vs. used/re-manufactured and that it does not contain any re-manufactured components. Appreciate it... had not thought to check that!

mos

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like you found a great dealership. Most will send you back out the door over an engine swap. I say work with them and let them do it.

OP

MOS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rodeoflyer that was my thought too... been down that road before... had a first-year JL Rubi that FCA bought back from me via lemon law litigation... hoping the engine swap is solid (agree... excellent signs pointing to a good dealership) cuz i love this machine

HeavyUser

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Quite a few of us have had the bottom end ticking, sucks.... For me they did not replace the engine but instead swapped out a bunch of the valve train components.

OP

MOS

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quite a few of us have had the bottom end ticking, sucks.... For me they did not replace the engine but instead swapped out a bunch of the valve train components.

That is precisely the same noise I have. Do you have a list of specific components they replaced on yours? Also... did that fix the issue? Maybe they're going overboard...

Advertisement

Clayton Offroad

Advertisement