Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
Posts like this are exactly why I'm doing it in my driveway.
1 in 5 dealers refusing TSB.
Techs that do the TSB are leaving loose bolts, or screwing up the job.
is anyone really surprised? dealership hacks are the worst. if it isn't a recall, or under warranty, i will not take a car to a stealership, unless it's being traded in.
Sponsored

jakebrake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler rubicon recon
1 in 5 dealers refuse to do the tsb...

YO, FCA! YOU'D BETTER DEAL WITH THE 1 IN 5 DEALERS REFUSING TO DO THE TSB! (perhaps, they shouldn't represent You any longer.)

HEY, @JeepCares MAYBE THIS IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO?

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I'm joining the disgruntled line.

My TSB box was completed last week and I immediately noticed a dull spot in the steering on my 3-mile trip home. I took it for a 50-mile drive yesterday and the slop was back, but then it started pulling to the left briefly, then it didn't, then it did.

How on Earth can Jeep, who has been installing worm/roller steering boxes since WWII, be having problems with a basic primary subsystem part? There are no options! It either works or it doesn't and mine doesn't.

Jeez...
Hi @Dusty - We are sorry to hear that the TSB did not resolve your concerns. Please send our team a PM with your VIN so that we can have this documented and assist with next steps.

I am still very hesitant to get this TSB done given the negative stories here.
Hi @MNWrangx2 - We understand why you may be hesitant after reading the other experiences. If you set up an appointment with your dealer to have this completed, please reach out to us to have a case escalated on your behalf if needed.

Following along as I've had the same issue...

Here's my experience thus far:
I bought a '19 JLU with 29k mi on it from a [chevy] dealer. During the test drive, I noticed it pulling right...which I just attributed to needing an alignment.
Next day, it went into a death wobble on the interstate at 70mph after a bridge bump.
Found this forum and the TSB, discovered the new steering stabilizer was installed backwards.
Chevy dealer took it to the Jeep dealer for warranty work.
When I picked it up from the Jeep dealer, I asked what they did to resolve. He said the stabilizer orientation wouldn't resolve a death wobble, but they flipped it around anyway. He said the steering gear was bad and replaced. They also checked the trac bar.
Since then, no more death wobble BUT there's a lot of play in the steering as you've described, but no sounds. There's 1-2 inches of play that doesn't seem constant. It feels as if it's not as bad when first getting in it or at slower speeds. It's a dead spot where you just bump the wheel back and forth left and right on a straight road. I decided to give it a few weeks before taking it back to the dealer so I could be sure of myself and they wouldn't discredit me. I'll update afterwards.
Hi @bhamjl - Please keep us updated via private message. We would like to provide support as needed.

1 in 5 dealers refuse to do the tsb...

YO, FCA! YOU'D BETTER DEAL WITH THE 1 IN 5 DEALERS REFUSING TO DO THE TSB! (perhaps, they shouldn't represent You any longer.)

HEY, @JeepCares MAYBE THIS IS SOMETHING YOU NEED TO LOOK INTO?
Hi @jakebrake - We understand your frustrations. Our dealers are equipped with proper resources and communications to apply the TSB according to the terms of the description. In the event that a Jeep owner needs additional assistance while in service, we are happy to step in.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Hi @Dusty - We are sorry to hear that the TSB did not resolve your concerns. Please send our team a PM with your VIN so that we can have this documented and assist with next steps.

Hi @MNWrangx2 - We understand why you may be hesitant after reading the other experiences. If you set up an appointment with your dealer to have this completed, please reach out to us to have a case escalated on your behalf if needed.

Hi @bhamjl - Please keep us updated via private message. We would like to provide support as needed.

Hi @jakebrake - We understand your frustrations. Our dealers are equipped with proper resources and communications to apply the TSB according to the terms of the description. In the event that a Jeep owner needs additional assistance while in service, we are happy to step in.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
PM sent. Thank you ~

Sponsored

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Found this bit in the depths of youtube, someone experiencing the same symptoms as me down to the dealer forgetting to fill the power steering fluid.

He had an independent mechanic look at it and apparently that clicking is caused by the Steering Shaft bolt where it connects to the steering gear box being completely loose.

That is insanely concerning.

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Found this bit in the depths of youtube, someone experiencing the same symptoms as me down to the dealer forgetting to fill the power steering fluid.

He had an independent mechanic look at it and apparently that clicking is caused by the Steering Shaft bolt where it connects to the steering gear box being completely loose.

That is insanely concerning.
See my post above #34. I mention IShaft pinch bolt. There has been numerous reports of dealer not torquing to specs.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 4DB46FF6-2D96-4142-8AD8-8EFD477217C2

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
FCA will get this sorted out soon enough, just like the JK radiators that blow up every few years.../sarc
MY JKU radiator has been fine, for 8.5 years and counting! Only wheeled it once though. Only issue has been a temperature sensor, which showed up on an engine error code. And of course the freedom panels leaking, and had to replace the original headlights which are not good (my JL is blinding though).

OP
OP
Gandor

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
UPDATE:

The steering is FIXED!

In total:
  • They performed the TSB and flashed the system.
  • They retorqued all the bolts to spec
  • Replaced the recirculating ball
  • Replaced the intermediate steering shaft
  • Replaced the aluminum bolts with the steel bolts (should have been done initially with TSB).

I have my suspicion that the shaft may have not needed to be replaced if the bolts were initially installed correctly as @hoag4147 has noted with the pinch bolt being a one time use bolt.

The car now drives like a Jeep, NO DEAD SPOT, NO CLICKS, IT'S NOT A JEEP THING TO HAVE A DEAD SPOT IN WHICH THE PITMAN ARM DOES NOT MOVE IN RESPONSE TO THE STEERING.

I think a big problem is that people who haven't faced this issue are confusing responsiveness with a dead spot. Jeeps are not the most responsive vehicle on the road, but they aren't broken shopping carts either.

Things to check after they do your work to make sure it's done correctly,

1. Ensure they refill the power steering fluid. They left mine bone dry after the TSB.
  2. Make sure that they replace the steering box with the all black steel box.
  3. Ensure they replace the aluminum bolts with the new steel bolts after the TSB is performed. When you mix metals galvanic corrosion can occur over time.
  4. If you have a dead spot in the steering after the TSB is performed DO NOT ACCEPT IT AS A JEEP THING. IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT CAN BE RESOLVED WITH PROPER DUE DILLIGANCE FROM YOUR MECHANIC.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
I was wondering if they have tried to seprate the Rubicon from the Sport model's results, to see if it's has anyting to do with the sway bar disconnect

Sponsored

JMCCUSKEY82

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Gray 6spd
Occupation
Mortgage
Local dealer yesterday told me that unless I have a specific issue they wouldn't work on the car. I could leave it for a day and see of the Tech can replicate the wandering. But he also said it was mainly due to my 35 inch tires. I need a new dealership.

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
My question would be: if you're satisfied with your Jeep's steering, should you have the dealer do the change or simply leave it as is...

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Coming from my 14 to the 20, I noticed wandering on the road. I kind of attributed it to mud terrain tires (the 14 had all terrains). I checked and I have the aluminum box. I guess this is something I need to look into.
Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 20201024_102051

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
My question would be: if you're satisfied with your Jeep's steering, should you have the dealer do the change or simply leave it as is...
Because this has become such an issue across the JL model line, having a non-converted steering box might be a negative at the time of selling. To me, if it drives nicely, having a lighter steering box is a plus.

Geekjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gladiator sport s
UPDATE:

The steering is FIXED!

In total:
  • They performed the TSB and flashed the system.
  • They retorqued all the bolts to spec
  • Replaced the recirculating ball
  • Replaced the intermediate steering shaft
  • Replaced the aluminum bolts with the steel bolts (should have been done initially with TSB).

I have my suspicion that the shaft may have not needed to be replaced if the bolts were initially installed correctly as @hoag4147 has noted with the pinch bolt being a one time use bolt.

The car now drives like a Jeep, NO DEAD SPOT, NO CLICKS, IT'S NOT A JEEP THING TO HAVE A DEAD SPOT IN WHICH THE PITMAN ARM DOES NOT MOVE IN RESPONSE TO THE STEERING.

I think a big problem is that people who haven't faced this issue are confusing responsiveness with a dead spot. Jeeps are not the most responsive vehicle on the road, but they aren't broken shopping carts either.

Things to check after they do your work to make sure it's done correctly,

1. Ensure they refill the power steering fluid. They left mine bone dry after the TSB.
  2. Make sure that they replace the steering box with the all black steel box.
  3. Ensure they replace the aluminum bolts with the new steel bolts after the TSB is performed. When you mix metals galvanic corrosion can occur over time.
  4. If you have a dead spot in the steering after the TSB is performed DO NOT ACCEPT IT AS A JEEP THING. IT IS A SAFETY ISSUE THAT CAN BE RESOLVED WITH PROPER DUE DILLIGANCE FROM YOUR MECHANIC.
what’s recirculating ball
Sponsored