Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Big week for me. New steering gear + new tires. Once I got it back I did a quick steering wheel adjustment + changed my Falcon Steering stabilizer to the "hard" setting and now it drives straight down the road. I'm talking take my hands off the steering wheel straight 😜

Night and day difference for me
Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yes I already have an open case but everything finally got taken care of on Monday. Still haven't had a chance to take a good test drive on the highway yet though.
Thank you for providing this update. Happy to hear that it was taken care of on Monday. Please feel free to contact us if you have any additional concerns.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.

What year is your JL? Dealership was telling me the TSB procedures says to skip adding the 70f code into the update options for 2020s.

I got the car back and I dont hear the whining sound, there is still that deadspot and the steering is not tighter than before as others has reported.

I do see from the invoice that they reprogram the ehps...

See pic of step #7 from TSB.

SmartSelect_20210315-225840_Drive.jpg

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
I got the car back and I dont hear the whining sound, there is still that deadspot and the steering is not tighter than before as others has reported.
This is the same as mine. Steering wheel is also turned more to the left when driving straight than before.

Sponsored

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
restored my confidence in driving on the freeway and I can now proceed with the build. Before this, I didn’t want to add any lift or tires because the steering was so imprecise. I also added the Mopar LCA’s but I’m not sure that added much.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
restored my confidence in driving on the freeway and I can now proceed with the build. Before this, I didn’t want to add any lift or tires because the steering was so imprecise. I also added the Mopar LCA’s but I’m not sure that added much.
I was in the same mindset. I have my aftermarket stuff (mopar lift, fox stabilizer, teraflex track bars) waiting to be done but didn't want to start until this fix was completed. Still not 100% to where I want it so I'm hoping the aftermarket parts will help.

Sponsored

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
They probably did an alignment without centering your wheel. That's an easy fix
Right, but all the underlying problems are still there. I also noticed they pulled the part number sticker off of my cast iron steering box. So, given the problems I had with the dealership getting the right part on the first two visits, I believe they installed a 4 door box on my 2 door.

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
2018 JLUR

drove I would say about 90% right since new, just a very amount of play in the wheel and slight road wander.

new box installed and I'd say feels very close to 100%. If I'm nitpicking maybe 98-99% there, feels tighter too.

other than the tech creating a mess of fluid on the undercarriage

cram501

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS Mojito! Moab
I have a 2019 JLUS. Mine drove about 90% right since new also. The only issue with wandering was at 55+ MPH. Then it started wandering and get your attention.

I had the TSB completed this week. It feels tighter. I haven't driven enough 55+ yet to know if it helped at all. My initial impression is that it gets me where I want to be. I'll give it more time.

Bandana

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR
Finally got mine taken care of at 25,000 miles. Really happy with the results and was able to drive for a few hundred yards with hands off the wheel at 45 mph with no wander. Def could not do that before

Jehovasfitness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR and '04 Z06
Did anyone get a lot of steering fluid on the undercarriage after the box change? My front axle is soaked along with some other areas that got some splashes on it. Wondering if the tech just was sloppy or if an actual problem.
Sponsored