TSB 08-074-20 for Steering: confessions of a Millenial Driver

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
Family business in India and USA (dual citizen of both)
  • Banned
What I am about to say can be deemed extremely controversial but I might as well lay it out. After getting jerked around by dealerships on Long Island, I am considering to not get this fixed. Why? I am a Millenial and we tend to be one of the most distracted drivers! my other vehicles do not have fancy electronics like Bluetooth. Guess what? I was on my phone a lot texting or calling on those vehicles. I would do dumb stuff like adjust the radio and then brake hard. There! I said it and I admit it!

Due to this steering issue, I actually dropped the phone and stopped playing with the radio on the highway. This in turn has made me become a lot safer. My concern is that if I get this steering fix, I may slowly go back to my old millenial ways.

i know what i am saying is controversial and may raise a few eyebrows and posts criticising me. I am just lucky that in the last 10 plus years I have been driving like an idiot, I have not gotten into a crash. Hoping it stays that way and this Jeep with it’s wandering steering may help me become a safer driver. Thanks to all the Long Island dealers for jerking me around with this TSB!

PS: The steering wander is nothing strange to me overall as our local made cars back in India are no where near as safe as Foreign made cars. Some of the issues we have in India make a wandering steering sound like a first world problem. Mahindra has an SUV for example called the Bolero in India. It is a 7 seater without Airbags, ABS or Power Steering. The shockers suck and you can really hear that Bolero go on a HWY at 60 MPH because there is no sound deadening of it’s Diesel Engine. Guess what? PEOPLE LOVE BOLEROS IN INDIA. And I lived despite driving Bolero’s in India so many times! A Bolero is just one example. Remember the Tata Nano? That little Engine would Spontaneously Combust. It had a frame weaker than a bicycle. There are countless examples of cars legally driving on Indian roads that will not even pass a basic safety check in Mexico (let alone USA, Canada or EU)

please do not eat me!
Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
What I am about to say can be deemed extremely controversial but I might as well lay it out. After getting jerked around by dealerships on Long Island, I am considering to not get this fixed. Why? I am a Millenial and we tend to be one of the most distracted drivers! my other vehicles do not have fancy electronics like Bluetooth. Guess what? I was on my phone a lot texting or calling on those vehicles. I would do dumb stuff like adjust the radio and then brake hard. There! I said it and I admit it!

Due to this steering issue, I actually dropped the phone and stopped playing with the radio on the highway. This in turn has made me become a lot safer. My concern is that if I get this steering fix, I may slowly go back to my old millenial ways.

i know what i am saying is controversial and may raise a few eyebrows and posts criticising me. I am just lucky that in the last 10 plus years I have been driving like an idiot, I have not gotten into a crash. Hoping it stays that way and this Jeep with it’s wandering steering may help me become a safer driver. Thanks to all the Long Island dealers for jerking me around with this TSB!

PS: The steering wander is nothing strange to me overall as our local made cars back in India are no where near as safe as Foreign made cars. Some of the issues we have in India make a wandering steering sound like a first world problem. Mahindra has an SUV for example called the Bolero in India. It is a 7 seater without Airbags, ABS or Power Steering. The shockers suck and you can really hear that Bolero go on a HWY at 60 MPH because there is no sound deadening of it’s Diesel Engine. Guess what? PEOPLE LOVE BOLEROS IN INDIA. And I lived despite driving Bolero’s in India so many times! A Bolero is just one example. Remember the Tata Nano? That little Engine would Spontaneously Combust. It had a frame weaker than a bicycle. There are countless examples of cars legally driving on Indian roads that will not even pass a basic safety check in Mexico (let alone USA, Canada or EU)

please do not eat me!
Get the TSB and put your phone in the rear storage box when you drive :)

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Kudos to you, Punjabi! I think you're on to something.

How many of us are driving around with on board air, and only get to use it to blow parking lot dirt off our shoes before getting in? I see people pulling in past the main entrance all the time, more concerned with their Facebook friend count than what's happening on the other side of their windshield. I'll usually just shake my head at it and continue leaning on my front fender, looking all boss, while parked with one wheel on the curb. But not anymore! While they're inside browsing hot topic sipping a Starbucks mocha latte, I'll be pumping their tire pressures to the moon. When everyone's out there, enjoying a taste of the Jeep thing, you'll see those blue faced zombies come back to life real quick.

And sorry to go off topic, but does anyone know who has a Grumper in stock?

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase

please do not eat me!
I drove a Mahindra Bolero while working in India in 1999. It was stripped down but very much like a RHD Jeep CJ7. IT was Diesel Manual but proved very reliable for the 5 months I was there.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mahindra Thar (in India) - 2.5L Diesel, 4x4, 5 spd Manual ; 2020 JLU Rubicon (in USA) - 3.6 Gas with 8 Speed Automatic
Occupation
  • Banned
I drove a Mahindra Bolero while working in India in 1999. It was stripped down but very much like a RHD Jeep CJ7. IT was Diesel Manual but proved very reliable for the 5 months I was there.
Imagine Mahindra trying to sell a Bolero in the US with it's safety ratings? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored

Gandor

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I've noticed this too haha, still waiting on parts for the TSB, but when I'm driving now I literally focus only on driving.

OP
OP
Punjabi New Yorker

Punjabi New Yorker

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
  • Banned
I've noticed this too haha, still waiting on parts for the TSB, but when I'm driving now I literally focus only on driving.
I know, right! Part of me does not want to get this TSB because the current setup makes my Jeep feel like a Jeep :CWL: :CWL:

rdk5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep 392
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

LOL Millenial here too and that's a very honest post! But you should totally just get the TSB done just to prevent it from getting any worse a few years down the line.

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx-retired
I love honesty, and it’s fairly rare!

It sounds to me like you’ve learned your lesson, and are prepared to change your ways.

My prediction for you is that your self discipline will now take over wether you get the TSB or not. There’s nothing stopping you.

PS: I’m an old guy and I’ve been saying for years that as cars have become better and easier to drive, that drivers have become worse and less focused on driving. Maybe out of boredom, or maybe its because everybody seems forced to multitask now days. I don’t know. Now add in cell phones and the internet. :facepalm: I wouldn’t have been able to use a phone if I had one driving my 72 Plymouth Satellite. It pretty much took your full focus just to keep it on the road. And that was considered a great car!

Sponsored

daveprice7

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport 2DR, 2020 Willys 2DR
Occupation
Nerd

please do not eat me!
Admitting you have a problem is the first step to solving it. Is there a distracted driver's anonymous? Maybe they hand out chips for number of days driving without texting? Get your Jeep fixed, put your phone in airplane mode and toss it in the center console. Enjoy that Jeep!

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Had I been born 40 years after I actually was, I would have never made it through my teen years due to the complete loss of social responsibility the smartphone created. I would have died multiple times. Interesting confession.

Don't downplay India's auto industry. America has been building cars before India ousted the Brits, but here we are in the 3rd quarter of 2020 and Jeep can't figure out how to keep their Wranglers go straight with THE SAME STEERING SYSTEM they have been using since WW2.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Punjabi, I don’t have time to read this whole thread right now (I’ll come back to it later), but I have a feeling you and me would be pretty good friends if we hung out in real life.
Sponsored