Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
Here’s my experience:

2019 JLU Sahara. Had original steering gear replaced with 2nd generation aluminum box. Much better but once warmed up and on hot dAys a lot of play and dead spot.

had new steel steering gear installed in January as I figured this would be the fix. Initial reaction was that I was very disappointed. 2” plus dead spot and heavy wandering. Looked at the work and noticed they used the old aluminum box bolts not the new bolts. Also could not confirm software update done.

Went back a month later and had correct bolts changed and asked to Reflash/confirm software update for steering gear. Got it pack and so much better. Dead spot gone and tracks well. Guessing software update wasn’t done previously. Very happy but still a bit disappointed in the feel as it seems lighter than I prefer.
Final step: ordered Falcon 2.1 TS steering stabilizer and installed today. Awesome! Between the new steel steering gear and New falcon stabilizer, I can finally say that my steering feels how it should. I am very happy as the steering has really bothered me for about 1.5 years and now it is where it should be.

Ridiculous the amount of time effort needed to deal with this, but I really love my Jeep and so glad I can stop worrying about steering issues (at least for now).
I switched mine out to the Fox 2.0 for the the same reason being light . What a difference I couldn't be happier .
Sponsored

bhamjl

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara

RubiRed

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR, Odyssey, S2000, 911
Vehicle Showcase
For those who didn't see an improvement or got worse after the new steering box, this might help:

SUMMARY: Dealer didn't update the steering pump software per the TSB, even though they said they did. To verify, get the specific "Options Report" printout from the dealership that shows either 5SY or 70F for the "Steering Pump & Gear Service Plan", don't trust the dealer service invoice that says they updated the software. Two different dealerships told me it was up to date, even my original steering gear replacement invoice said the software was updated, 3rd dealership showed me it WAS NOT updated on the "Options Report". All slop in the steering wheel is 100% gone after the 3rd dealership updated it to 70F. Finally drives like a Jeep now. I got suspicious because of lack of whining noise when the steering wheel is turned. The software update appears to increase the voltage on the steering pump, causing the whining sound (it isn't obnoxious, just an indicator the steering pump is on/active). In your case, you still might hear the whining noise with the old software, as some on other forums said they heard the whining noise before and after the software update. Point is, verify the software was updated via the options report print out, don't take their word for it.

DETAIL: It is very important to verify that they actually updated the steering pump software from 5SY to 70F via the Options Report not the dealer service invoice. In my case, the new cast iron steering box made some improvement, but not significant. Still had 2" of play, constantly correcting to keep it in lane. Very disappointed after seeing the success stories on this site. The dealership that replaced the steering box with the new cast iron version failed to update the EHPS (step 2 in TSB 08-074-20) and the steering pump software (steps 4 & 5) even though the invoice stated they updated the software. They also failed to replace the track bar for build dates before January 22 2019 (steps 12 & 13). After reading a few steering posts about a whining sound that people are hearing from the steering pump and I didn't hear any whining sound from mine, I started to wonder if they updated the software. I went back to the original dealer, they took it into the shop, said it was up to date. I went to another dealer, paid the hourly minimum charge, they too said it was up to date. I went to a 3rd dealership, and they hooked my JLU up to their service computer / DealerConnect and printed out an "Options Report" that the other two dealerships did not offer. It showed that the "Steering Pump and Gear Service Plan" was 5SY. F**KERS. I new the original dealership that replaced the steering box screwed up due to their attitude when I asked to verify. Note: See JD Powers surveys for the past 10+ years showing Jeep, Ram, Fiat dealers dead last in customer satisfaction. This third dealership updated to the correct steering box software, reprinted it, now it says 70F and ALL of the slop in steering is 100% gone. Point is, GET THE SPECIFIC PRINT OUT THAT SHOWS EITHER 5SY or 70F for the steering pump software. I did some research, but it looks like none of the menus in the radio will show this information. My only clue was the lack of a high pitched sound coming from the steering pump when the steering wheel is turned. You will need someone to turn your steering wheel back and forth while the JL is on and in park while you stand in front on the passenger side (right below the steering pump reservoir). I can now hear the whining sound from the steering pump, and ZERO slack in the steering wheel when driving at any speed.
@californiajeeping on your print out is the code 70F or 70FA? Mine has the extra 'A'. I'm also dissatisfied after the TSB was performed and wrote up the worse feel in this post.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 1613544723970

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
@californiajeeping on your print out is the code 70F or 70FA? Mine has the extra 'A'. I'm also dissatisfied after the TSB was performed and wrote up the worse feel in this post.

Jeep Wrangler JL Steering worse after TSB fix. 1613544723970

Looking closer at TSB 08-003-21, is it possible a dealer can not update the EHPS software but still add the Sales Code 70F? I am trying to understand if 2 distinct steps or if updating the EHPS is done by updating the Sales Code

THEREED

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Looking closer at TSB 08-003-21, is it possible a dealer can not update the EHPS software but still add the Sales Code 70F? I am trying to understand if 2 distinct steps or if updating the EHPS is done by updating the Sales Code

Sponsored

93civEJ1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gobi Sport S (Max Tow)
Did you ever get this figured out?

monkeysfist

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR

Here is the sound and wheel jerking. If you turn it in any direction other than straight, it makes that sound. If you turn it and hold it, this isn't full lock either, it will stop making the noise for a split second every so often and jerk the steering wheel. You can see it jerk the wheel when the noise stops.
Did you ever get the hissing noise solved?

I just purchased a used 2021 JL and it makes the exact same noise when steering wheel turned to near full lock and then will jerk back a little.

No steering issues though. Its still under warranty so I took it to the dealership, but they seem stumped.

Thanks!
Sponsored