Sponsored

Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
They said they did the alignment and reprogram called for in the TSB, but I can only take their word for it as they did not note it on the ticket.
My advice to everyone is to get a copy of the alignment results the dealership does.

I just had the TSB done 2 weeks ago - and I had posted my experience elsewhere - the thing is - it's better at slow speed, but still loose on the highway etc.

I posted a copy of my alignment from the dealership in that thread and (I'm not familiar with this) someone pointed out right away that my caster is way too low for my 3.5" lift [caster at ~3.6] and would definitely be causing me to have loose steering.

I showed this to the shop that did my lift (and they outsource an alignment after that) and agreed the outsourced shop didn't compensate the caster for the lift properly and that should be why my steering is still loose.

I'm having my caster adjusted in a few days becasue of this - and per this forum, and the lift shop - that should tighten up my steering.
Sponsored

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
And check all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are torqued to the right specifications. When I first took mine in, they put in another aluminum box. Took it back and they put the steel box in, but I was still having issues that were getting worse. I had already noted that the first dealer had only tightened the box bolts to about 40lbs. Took it to a different dealer Tuesday and the tech sent me a video of what he found last night. My pitman arm nut was torqued to 0lbs. Wasn't even finger tight, was just freely spinning. I posted the video he sent on one of the other steering threads.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
And check all the nuts and bolts to make sure they are torqued to the right specifications. When I first took mine in, they put in another aluminum box. Took it back and they put the steel box in, but I was still having issues that were getting worse. I had already noted that the first dealer had only tightened the box bolts to about 40lbs. Took it to a different dealer Tuesday and the tech sent me a video of what he found last night. My pitman arm bolt was torqued to 0lbs. Wasn't even finger tight, was just freely spinning. I posted the video he sent on one of the other steering threads.
Oh boy certainly not good thank you for the heads up 👍

Obi.Wan.Shawnobi

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gobi Tan 4Xe Rubicon
Occupation
Elevator Techinician.
I dropped mine off this morning for the repair. I was surprised when they told me that they had the parts in stock for the steering issue. I hope this isn't the reason why. I am nervous now it will be worse than before.
Did you set up this appointment a while ago? They either ordered the part or it was allocated to the dealership. I got the new gear and alignment. It drives beautifully. Even my wife noticed it's improved driveability

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Finally got the cast iron steering gearbox installed. Verified its cast iron. They didn't use the correct shorter bolts. Bolts are all tight and no visible leaks...yet. No odd noises while turning and no odd binding. Seems better at 55 mph and more responsive. Still has a dead spot but less than before. I'll need to get it out on a major highway and see how it handles at higher speed limits. I demanded an alignment and I paid for it. Don't really care about the cost since I'm trying to put all the dealership carelessness and their misinformed stupidity BS behind me. If the box needs a little tweak to get it dialed in tighter it's no big deal since I can do it with my eyes closed. Don't care if they see that I adjusted it. Don't care what they think about anything, period. Looking for another dealership to use from now on. Don't even care if I need to drive twice as far to get there. I realize my tone is negative but it's the result of their terrible customer service and confirmed lies.

0216211754c_HDR.jpg

0216211755.jpg

0216211756_HDR.jpg

Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Sorry - let me clarify - I'm picking my 2018 JLU up tomorrow after it has the new TSB for wandering steering performed. That TSB includes an alignment as part of the services listed. I also had them do an oil change and tire rotation. I wanted them to balance the tires as well, which I thought would be done when the tires are rotated but apparently not. So I was hoping someone here could provide me with an argument to use with the dealer for why they should do the balance as a part of the steering full monty and not charge me for it. Thanks. ~Wendy
Balancing tires is a completely separate thing from rotating them. Stop trying to make people work for free. Pay them to balance if you feel it is needed but it is almost certainly not necessary.

jdhunt0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited
If I had the steering box replaced last year with the cast iron one, is there now another updated box (or gear) or is it just reworded service bulletin?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
If I had the steering box replaced last year with the cast iron one, is there now another updated box (or gear) or is it just reworded service bulletin?
just reworded to add that an alignment is necessary. Any competent person would have been doing an alignment anyway.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Like was said it now has an alignment added but same cast iron box. Here is a picture of the correct cast iron box they finally installed on my Jeep. There is a label on it if you or anyone wants to compare.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 0216211754c_HDR

0216211755.jpg

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2021
DONC, je vois que la nouvelle mise à jour est un alignement en plus de la boîte en fer. J'ai hâte de mettre à jour le mien, j'espère juste que mon concessionnaire ne l'aggravera pas et ne laissera pas de côté.
[/CITATION]
BONJOUR j'ai un jeep rubicon 2021 avec un problème de direction depuis qu'il était neuf le concessionnaire a remplacé le boitier de direction deux fois c'est un cauchemar cette jeep est ma 5ème et ma dernière le service jeep est devenu pourri je déteste ce jeep wrangler rubicon j'ai 15 000 klm et je ne pense pas que je le garderai encore 15 000 km, rouler c'est de la merde

jackrubicon

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep wrangler rubicon 2021
BONJOUR j'ai un jeep rubicon 2021 avec un problème de direction depuis qu'il était neuf le concessionnaire a remplacé le boitier de direction deux fois c'est un cauchemar cette jeep est ma 5ème et ma dernière le service jeep est devenu pourri je déteste ce jeep wrangler rubicon j'ai 15 000 klm et je ne pense pas que je le garderai encore 15 000 km, rouler c'est de la merde
Sponsored