Sponsored

Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Yes, installed the black steering box using the correct bolts (verified correct part number per TSB and did the magnet test on it - cast iron). Per the TSB they also updated/reflashed the software, and performed an alignment. Jeep tracks straight as an arrow - level road I can have my hands off the steering wheel with no drift until it hits a bump/road imperfection.
That is awesome good to hear that it worked out for you. I decided to pay a visit to the dealership to confirm that they had the correct part in. The service adviser went opened the box checked the part number against TSB showed it to me all is good so tomorrow it goes in and all the other stuff will also be done also.
Sponsored

Laststand

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport S 3.6/auto, 2014 Acura RDX
Occupation
Retired USMC
Just called my dealership and spoke to a service adviser about them installing the wrong steering box. He tells me that the guy in service said that the aluminum box 68250506AD supersedes the newest cast iron box 68507569AA. Of course I disagreed and asked him to look it up himself and read the TSB directly word for word on repairs required for TSB 08-003-21. He's now irritated with my request and exclaimes he had looked it up himself. Big lie. I asked for a manager, was put on hold, waited and waited and waited for no manager. Currently waiting for a call back that's not going to happen. It's a terrible way to handle a service center and it's simply a disservice to have to get into a wrestling match over things clearly spelled that are supposed to be done.
I bugged the heck out of my service advisor on part numbers (and correct parts like the same length new 4 bolts). Know they weren't happy with me but since I have a 2 door and 80% or more sold are 4 doors I was concerned they'd put a 4 door gear box in. I never thought someone would put in the original aluminum type - unbelievable. Wonder if they even read the TSB.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I bugged the heck out of my service advisor on part numbers (and correct parts like the same length new 4 bolts). Know they weren't happy with me but since I have a 2 door and 80% or more sold are 4 doors I was concerned they'd put a 4 door gear box in. I never thought someone would put in the original aluminum type - unbelievable. Wonder if they even read the TSB.
You are probably correct the tech just took the box opened it installed it. These guys figure you give me the part it’s your job to order the right part I just put it in. The only time that they would question it is if the part don’t fit right. Well I hope that my experience turns out like yours everything according to TSB.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
I am going to become a pain in their butts from now on since I'm obviously being lied to. It's definitely hard to believe.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If anyone could post a pic of their print out of the TSB 08-003-21 repair with the correct parts listed I am going to use this as proof of a correctly performed repair. Looking for back up since they are willing to lie about it.

Sponsored

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
If anyone could post a pic of their print out of the TSB 08-003-21 repair with the correct parts listed I am going to use this as proof of a correctly performed repair. Looking for back up since they are willing to lie about it.
Post number 18 has the info that you are looking for that’s the one I used. The new TSB that the service manager showed to me was dated January 9/21 and stated the part number ending in AA and stated the computer and alignment service to be done. They printed it out and actually showed it to me and read it to me hope this helps.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I’m not sure what the point of the 4 new bolts is. My dealership reused the old bolts and I haven’t had any problems. Of course, they also installed the old aluminum box the first time.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
I’m not sure what the point of the 4 new bolts is. My dealership reused the old bolts and I haven’t had any problems. Of course, they also installed the old aluminum box the first time.
Apparently the aluminum starter bolts are different sizes so I guess they figured that having them the same length maybe be better seeing that the starter is steel instead of aluminum maybe a weight issue.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Apparently the aluminum starter bolts are different sizes so I guess they figured that having them the same length maybe be better seeing that the starter is steel instead of aluminum maybe a weight issue.
It’s not a starter.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX
Just called my dealership and spoke to a service adviser about them installing the wrong steering box. He tells me that the guy in service said that the aluminum box 68250506AD supersedes the newest cast iron box 68507569AA. Of course I disagreed and asked him to look it up himself and read the TSB directly word for word on repairs required for TSB 08-003-21. He's now irritated with my request and exclaimes he had looked it up himself. Big lie. I asked for a manager, was put on hold, waited and waited and waited for no manager. Currently waiting for a call back that's not going to happen. It's a terrible way to handle a service center and it's simply a disservice to have to get into a wrestling match over things clearly spelled that are supposed to be done.

These clowns are 100% full of BS...Hell, 'AD' wasn't even the latest aluminum steering box!!

Sponsored

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

FCA service bulletin states anytime the steering gearbox is removed or steering gearbox bolts removed, they must be replaced with new bolts.

TSB also clearly states to use new bolts...I would insist your dealer order and install the new mounting bolts, might also look to see if they reused the old intermediate shaft bolt.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Post number 18 has the info that you are looking for that’s the one I used. The new TSB that the service manager showed to me was dated January 9/21 and stated the part number ending in AA and stated the computer and alignment service to be done. They printed it out and actually showed it to me and read it to me hope this helps.
TSB 08-074-20 is the previously expired TSB. The current TSB that replaced it is 08-003-21 and the only change is an added 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure someone has a printed copy of completed repairs under 08-003-21.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
FCA service bulletin states anytime the steering gearbox is removed or steering gearbox bolts removed, they must be replaced with new bolts.

TSB also clearly states to use new bolts...I would insist your dealer order and install the new mounting bolts, might also look to see if they reused the old intermediate shaft bolt.
My repair statement doesn't even list new bolts in the parts list. Just a steering box and fluid.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
TSB 08-074-20 is the previously expired TSB. The current TSB that replaced it is 08-003-21 and the only change is an added 4 wheel alignment. I'm sure someone has a printed copy of completed repairs under 08-003-21.
Sorry guys correct not a starter a steering box as far as the alignment goes the printout they showed me had that on it as of January 9/21. I can’t believe that these guys are actually giving people a hard time over something that they know needs to be fixed unbelievable.

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
Hi Rollie, I don't have the entire TSB but here's a snapshot of the part number section:

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 SteeringBoxTSB 08-003-21
Sponsored