First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Rant warning. Waited three and a half months to get this TSB completed just to drive my Jeep home to not feel any improvement on free play aka dead spot. And now it's got a bogging feel if turning right but not left. This has definitely gone in the wrong direction.
All of the above isn't even he worst of it. Crawled down underneath and guess what? I have an identical steering gear as the old one that they installed. Then I go check the paperwork to find that they indeed installed the wrong one and it's documented as a different TSB! Paperwork shows TSB 08-003-21. I even took a printed version in to show them last year and they made a copy of it. Frustrated.

0120211410_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
Thats horrible! I got some words that I want to say but Ill hold my tongue lol....

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thats horrible! I got some words that I want to say but Ill hold my tongue lol....
I also learned just minutes ago that there is a new TSB that's replaced the one I listed. The new TSB is
08-003-21. It's not clear why they stopped using the cast iron housed steering box.

JLAFAKASI

First Name
Lito
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JlU Sport S 2019
Vehicle Showcase
I also learned just minutes ago that there is a new TSB that's replaced the one I listed. The new TSB is
08-003-21. It's not clear why they stopped using the cast iron housed steering box.
SO I see the new update to that is an alignment in addition to the iron box going in. I cant wait to get mine updated, I just hope my dealership doesnt make it worse and leave steps out.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
SO I see the new update to that is an alignment in addition to the iron box going in. I cant wait to get mine updated, I just hope my dealership doesnt make it worse and leave steps out.
Not an iron steering box now like with the previous now expired TSB, but this new TSB does include an alignment. The steering box listed on the current TSB is for the aluminum steering box and that's exactly what they installed. I now know why I was stalled for three months waiting for the cast iron steering box. Gave me the "we ordered it and they keep cancelling the order" for 12 weeks.

Sponsored

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I dropped mine off this morning for the repair. I was surprised when they told me that they had the parts in stock for the steering issue. I hope this isn't the reason why. I am nervous now it will be worse than before.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Not an iron steering box now like with the previous now expired TSB, but this new TSB does include an alignment. The steering box listed on the current TSB is for the aluminum steering box and that's exactly what they installed. I now know why I was stalled for three months waiting for the cast iron steering box. Gave me the "we ordered it and they keep cancelling the order" for 12 weeks.
Do you have a link to the new TSB? Seems like they screwed it up, my dealer did the same thing but fixed it when I brought the mistake to their attention.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2023 RAM TRX

Can you post a copy of the 'new' TSB? I know that an alignment was added but 'AD" was the old gearbox and the new gearbox is 'AA'... P68507571AA to be exact for the 2-door.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 IMG_2029

Last edited:

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Can you post a copy of the 'new' TSB? I know that an alignment was added but 'AD" was the old gearbox and the new gearbox is 'AE'...
Correction: the "new" cast iron gear box is a completely different number. The last update the the aluminum box before they ditched it was the AE number.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Correction: the "new" cast iron gear box is a completely different number. The last update the the aluminum box before they ditched it was the AE number.

Sorry, my bad! New iron box ends in 'AA' The full part number for my 2-door was P68507571AA

Sponsored

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I dropped mine off this morning for the repair. I was surprised when they told me that they had the parts in stock for the steering issue. I hope this isn't the reason why. I am nervous now it will be worse than before.
I'm curious to see which steering box they install for you and if your steering improves. Service departments vary so much that it's easy to see varying degrees of improvements with the first steering box TSB so maybe that's what's happening now with this current TSB.

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Can you post a copy of the 'new' TSB? I know that an alignment was added but 'AD" was the old gearbox and the new gearbox is 'AA'... P68507571AA to be exact for the 2-door.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wrong Steering Gear Installed for TSB 08-074-20 IMG_2029
I don't see a link online to the TSB 08-003-21. All I have is the info on my repair sheet and list of parts required. Maybe there is an actual error on their part after all. I'm confused lol.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Well crud. This probably means they think they figured out how to use the aluminum box and those of us with 21's on order are going to suffer through the whole ordeal...

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well crud. This probably means they think they figured out how to use the aluminum box and those of us with 21's on order are going to suffer through the whole ordeal...
I hope it's not going down that road. We'll find out pretty soon. Here's a section of my repair sheet.

0120211615.jpg

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't see a link online to the TSB 08-003-21. All I have is the info on my repair sheet and list of parts required. Maybe there is an actual error on their part after all. I'm confused lol.

I could be wrong, but...I am 99% sure they put a new-old-stock gearbox in. You should go to your dealer and have them print the latest TSB making sure it is dated and compare the part numbers!
Sponsored