Sponsored

New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel")

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
My Jeeping buddy and I ordered our parts after he was rejected from local dealer who said he would not do it... Well we found a great dealer rated number one service dealer in western NC which is an hour away.

So we took his 2018 JLRU in yesterday and picked it up to day... We drove my 2018 Jeep JLR to get my Jeep done... So he drove his Jeep back and said he could not see a difference but I reached over and could be feel a difference... Very tight... I should say he only has 780 miles... not a weekend driver more like a monthly or two drive. They also replaced his steering stabilizer, a second one.

I get my Jeep back tomorrow with 14k miles and we both did not have issues with aluminum gearbox with limited miles but steel is better and sooner is better then later.

Update to follow.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Update:
Just got my Jeep back from the dealer, drives great with fixed steering at 13k miles. Took an extra day as dealer was missing a part. You see they ordered parts based on old TSB 08-074-20 Rev A,B,C,D,E for 2018+ Jeeps ... So the new TSB 08-003-21 added Mopar 68394087AA which is a Front Track Bar for 18-21 Jeep Wrangler JL & Gladiator JT.

So if got your Jeep fixed on a earlier TSB and they did not add this part, go ask for that Front Track Bar. I could not find post for the new TSB 08-074-21.

Attached is my service order... got other several other stuff done, TMPS died, did computer updates and fixed reboot of Nav center. O and I forgot to get my vehicle inspected and update my license plates, they noticed and charge me the usual $14 fee. So the other work came to $1,500 all under warranty. Happy camper with peace of mind.

Jeep Wrangler JL New JL Steering Issue TSB 08-074-20 (for "Improved Steering Feel") completed

My Jeeping buddy and I ordered our parts after he was rejected from local dealer who said he would not do it... Well we found a great dealer rated number one service dealer in western NC which is an hour away.

So we took his 2018 JLRU in yesterday and picked it up to day... We drove my 2018 Jeep JLR to get my Jeep done... So he drove his Jeep back and said he could not see a difference but I reached over and could be feel a difference... Very tight... I should say he only has 780 miles... not a weekend driver more like a monthly or two drive. They also replaced his steering stabilizer, a second one.

I get my Jeep back tomorrow with 14k miles and we both did not have issues with aluminum gearbox with limited miles but steel is better and sooner is better then later.

Update to follow.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I've posted several times.
My concern: the old TSB has been withdrawn. There were too many problems?
The new TSB adds alignment. It adds a new/replacement track bar for JL's in a certain age range.

I shall work on getting both of these items done. AND include verification that the software was reflashed.

Reported that steering was faulty the day we picked up the JLU. AND stated it was the steering box. That was mid September over a year ago. Answer: "it's a Jeep thing."

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Latest steering steering TSB O8-003-21 pdf
My jeep goes to the dealer today for the 8th time. I'll have them replace the track bar and verify the software config.

Sponsored

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Latest steering steering TSB O8-003-21 pdf
Great post!

Wonderful dogs! Our Golden is Morgan. She loves being in the Jeep JLU. At one point we had 3 at once....goldens.

Last edited:

Caymanedge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Does anyone know if there has been a revision to the Steering TSB 08-074-20?

It originally showed the new box to be 68507569AA but now appears to be 68507569AB?
I ordered the AA long time ago, but an AB showed up today.

calvinf1

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU North Edition
Does anyone know if there has been a revision to the Steering TSB 08-074-20?

It originally showed the new box to be 68507569AA but now appears to be 68507569AB?
I ordered the AA long time ago, but an AB showed up today.
The AA and AB are the same box except they added a shafe to the box to make the manufacturing process different. It has no difference in design and performance in the box itself.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
The AA and AB are the same box except they added a shafe to the box to make the manufacturing process different. It has no difference in design and performance in the box itself.
May I ask where you received this information?

Sponsored

Jeep&dogs

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUr
Here is the reply from FCA.

Hi James,

My colleague in Chassis and suspension provided me with the following: "They added a lead in chamfer for assembly. no change in performance."

Let me know if that answers your question, thank you.
JF8l2TjP9WhdlWJs0cXnspg_f-itHGNVitaj9Y7WcrPlDgdE7l.png

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
I remember 3 years ago now when I was complaining about how horrendous the handling/steering was on the JL and everybody told me I was crazy, and that it was "a Jeep thing". Funny how far this has ended up going.

And the sad part is here we are 3 years later and it's STILL a problem. I just took delivery of a JT that was built 5-27-21 and it wandered all over the interstate like a drunk the entire way home. 😒

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I remember 3 years ago now when I was complaining about how horrendous the handling/steering was on the JL and everybody told me I was crazy, and that it was "a Jeep thing". Funny how far this has ended up going.

And the sad part is here we are 3 years later and it's STILL a problem. I just took delivery of a JT that was built 5-27-21 and it wandered all over the interstate like a drunk the entire way home. 😒
Sad.
That was what we reported day 1 with our JLU. Took 1-1/2 years to get the new black steering gear in. It's a Jeep Thing. Heard that a bunch of times.

dirtdigr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
So I finally got around to checking the torque on all the bolts after the TSB was complete. I found everything was not even close to torque spec's, especially the sector shaft/pitman arm nut. After I torqued the sector shaft nut, re-installed the track bar, and took a ride, I found my steering wheel is no longer centered. Would this mean that the dealership doing the TSB did an alignment while all the components were loose? Did I mess up the alignment by torqueing the sector shaft? Not sure what to do here.....any suggestions?

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
So I finally got around to checking the torque on all the bolts after the TSB was complete. I found everything was not even close to torque spec's, especially the sector shaft/pitman arm nut. After I torqued the sector shaft nut, re-installed the track bar, and took a ride, I found my steering wheel is no longer centered. Would this mean that the dealership doing the TSB did an alignment while all the components were loose? Did I mess up the alignment by torqueing the sector shaft? Not sure what to do here.....any suggestions?
To center your steering wheel..

Sponsored