Mopar LCA swap

SteadyC

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Installed the MetalCloak adjustable LCA today. Really didn’t have any steering issues but Teraflex 1.5 inch lift left me with 2 degree pinion angle, and thus 4 degree caster. Right? Adjusted the MC LCA’s and now have .7 degree pinion angle, which I think is now 5.3 degree caster. I could get the front LCA bolts by hand, but not the rears, had to run to Lowe’s to buy an impact wrench, they were tough. My torque wrench only goes to 150, so I’m not at 190 yet. Went for a quick test drive, still feels great, can let go of the steering wheel and it goes for a bit without needing to adjust.
Sponsored

JimmyDoom

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JLU
So I'm bringing my Rubicon into an alignment shop on Monday. What is the latest caster and toe-in that people say is working to resolve "wondering" on the highway? I have adjustable LCA's and adjustable track bar. My caster is currently set to 5.5 and my toe-in I believe .2.

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
So I'm bringing my Rubicon into an alignment shop on Monday. What is the latest caster and toe-in that people say is working to resolve "wondering" on the highway? I have adjustable LCA's and adjustable track bar. My caster is currently set to 5.5 and my toe-in I believe .2.
Depending on other geometry factors, toe adjustments and steering results vary. The best way is to test drive at different toe settings at different sides of the spec, low, high, middle. Then choose the one that drives best for your JL.

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clarify, this LCA swap can be done with all 4 wheels on the ground, right? Just a slight lift of the frame to align the holes with the slightly longer LCA, right?

Thanks

JLUSoCal

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Just to clarify, this LCA swap can be done with all 4 wheels on the ground, right? Just a slight lift of the frame to align the holes with the slightly longer LCA, right?

Thanks
Yes. Just do one at a time.

I pulled my tires just to get easier access but I have nice jack and stands.

Sponsored

Ribs33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was planning on doing it on ramps
I put mine on ramps and the extra space off the ground made swapping the arms much easier. I did everything from underneath and don't see any advantage to taking the tires off, but ymmv. The entire process took about 30 minutes, with the longest part being breaking the nuts/bolts loose and getting them out.

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I swapped mine today. I have a jlu with rubicon suspension. It really has made a big difference on how it tracks and drives straight. The steering feels really tight. Not sure if I’ll do the recall now since it drives so well.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
These should have been the stock LCAs that they came with from the factory.

Last edited:

Mudawg10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler
I agree. I had them for a couple weeks and didn’t think it would be such a big deal. I was wrong.

Sponsored

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Thanks to this forum, I just changed out my LCA’s to these upgraded mopar pieces. And I do mean upgraded, they only appear to be slightly longer, but they are significantly heavier. They make the stock lca’s feel like they’re hollow when holding both of them side by side. This can be done without any lifting at all on your garage floor. My Milwaukee M18 impact zipped the bolts right out without a problem and the new pieces slid in with only a little nudge with a prybar on the first side. This upgrade is literally 20 minutes in your back and done. Drives much more solid. Mine is an all stock 2019 Rubicon 4dr and I had a lot of play in the steering. Seems to be a cured.

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks to this forum, I just changed out my LCA’s to these upgraded mopar pieces. And I do mean upgraded, they only appear to be slightly longer, but they are significantly heavier. They make the stock lca’s feel like they’re hollow when holding both of them side by side. This can be done without any lifting at all on your garage floor. My Milwaukee M18 impact zipped the bolts right out without a problem and the new pieces slid in with only a little nudge with a prybar on the first side. This upgrade is literally 20 minutes in your back and done. Drives much more solid. Mine is an all stock 2019 Rubicon 4dr and I had a lot of play in the steering. Seems to be a cured.
How did it go retorquing the bolts? Mine were a bit of a pain but I finally used the floor jack to lift the torque wrench enough to get them torqued to 190.

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
I didn’t have my torque wrench handy so I just put them back on with the impact driver, I couldn’t budge them by hand after that more than a quarter turn, so I figure I should be good...I hope. I’ll check them again after a few more miles. They are definitely built more solid than what comes stock for some reason.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Thanks
Control arms should only be torqued when the vehicle suspension is loaded. So ground, ramps, or a drive on lift.

You can put on stands to get the old ones out and new ones installed, but do not torque them until you put it back on the ground.

If you torque while suspension is unloaded you will damage/destroy the bushings when you put it back under its own weight.

laniercruzer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392 XR
Rubicon stock height can completely be done with the vehicle on the ground, the others I’m not sure of. I went out for a hundred mile drive today on a mix of roads and it was a much improved experience, everyone should be putting these on, I see no down side.
Sponsored