Mopar LCA swap

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 6sp, 2014 X5 35d, 2020 JLR 6sp
So I gotta ask...I have the Mopar lift front LCA's to put on, but how to you get these bad boys torqued down to 190 ft lbs on the ground with the weight of the Jeep so they don't cause binding?

I think my cordless impact wrench might be able to break them free (worse case, I can use a breaker bar), but seriously, are there any tricks or advise as to how to get all the bolts to that torque?

If you have a technique, let me know.

Worse case, I'll call on the Big Gun @TTEChris
Sponsored

Stickerhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1997 TJ on 37’s, 2017 Powerstoke Tow Pig
Vehicle Showcase
I heated the old bolts then used an impact. It is hard to torque with it on the ground. You could do it on a lift

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
So I gotta ask...I have the Mopar lift front LCA's to put on, but how to you get these bad boys torqued down to 190 ft lbs on the ground with the weight of the Jeep so they don't cause binding?

I think my cordless impact wrench might be able to break them free (worse case, I can use a breaker bar), but seriously, are there any tricks or advise as to how to get all the bolts to that torque?

A good electric impact will loosen those LCA bolts. To tighten them I start with the impact just until there is some resistance (with my gun it's usually around 80ft lbs). I have a longer torque wrench that I use with the Jeep on the ground and with the proper angle the lowers really aren't much of an issue. If you are still having trouble and have a set of ramps to drive on, the extra space makes getting leverage on the torque wrench a bit easier. :beer:

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology

Fresh battery on the impact and undone should not be an issue.

To get them done back up I use my impact with a 160 ft/lb torque limit tube and it will get it to that. Thats the highest torque tube I could find. After then it's good old blood sweat and tears with the torque wrench.

Sponsored

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
If you haven't done so yet, it would be a good idea to get an alignment report, which you can get for $19 for the report only no adjustments before you change out your LCAs. That way you have a base line of your caster and other alignment specs.
That's a good idea. I'll try to measure myself with a device like AnnDee4444 showed or see if I can get into a shop for a baseline. With the Rubicon springs I installed (68253661AC and 68253662AC on the front, 68253591AA and 68253592AA on the rear) I got about 1.5" of lift so I'm sure these LCAs would help with my wandering. It's not bad but it does wander some...

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A good electric impact will loosen those LCA bolts. To tighten them I start with the impact just until there is some resistance (with my gun it's usually around 80ft lbs). I have a longer torque wrench that I use with the Jeep on the ground and with the proper angle the lowers really aren't much of an issue. If you are still having trouble and have a set of ramps to drive on, the extra space makes getting leverage on the torque wrench a bit easier. :beer:
Thank you @TTEChris !

After I run it down with the impact, how much reverse leverage is needed on the nut if I’m torqueing the bolt (or vice versa)? In my mind I’m trying to figure out how to keep it from spinning while I torque. Basically, holding wrench on one side while torqueing the other. I could get my wife to do it, but that may be difficult if it’s too much pressure.

My longest torque wench is 26”, but with your point about getting the right angle, I’m pretty sure I can get to 190 ft lbs.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you @TTEChris !

After I run it down with the impact, how much reverse leverage is needed on the nut if I’m torqueing the bolt (or vice versa)? In my mind I’m trying to figure out how to keep it from spinning while I torque. Basically, holding wrench on one side while torqueing the other. I could get my wife to do it, but that may be difficult if it’s too much pressure.

My longest torque wench is 26”, but with your point about getting the right angle, I’m pretty sure I can get to 190 ft lbs.
I usually position myself where I'm able to pull/push on the reverse side. If your wrench is long enough you can have it rest on the ground for the front lower bolt. For the rear bolt you should have more space, but you can also rest the wrench against the crossmember. Getting it off can be a pain that way, but a tap from a hammer on the wrench will usually dislodge it. I don't usually use the last method unless I'm at home without the proper tools but it works as well

GhostDivers

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I usually position myself where I'm able to pull/push on the reverse side. If your wrench is long enough you can have it rest on the ground for the front lower bolt. For the rear bolt you should have more space, but you can also rest the wrench against the crossmember. Getting it off can be a pain that way, but a tap from a hammer on the wrench will usually dislodge it. I don't usually use the last method unless I'm at home without the proper tools but it works as well
I don't usually use the last method unless I'm at home without the proper tools but it works as well...That is awesome advice!

As always, you are a huge contributor and a invaluable help to me! If Tank Customs wasn't a 16 hour drive, I'd be at your shop getting everything done right instead of in my garage hoping I did :whew:

Sponsored

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
You can measure the caster at the two points circled in red.
U44_Final_Front_shadow+glow_NEW.jpg
Depending on how you place the angle at those points 0 or 90 degrees should equal -6 degrees of caster.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Depending on how you place the angle at those points 0 or 90 degrees should equal -6 degrees of caster.
Oh yeah I should have mentioned that. The axle has 6* of cater built in. If you measure those points and get 0*, then you have 6* of caster.

SouthCo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Billet Silver Sahara
Ok so I bought the gauge AnnDee4444 posted. And measured like AnnDee4444 and TTECHRIS showed (thank you all very much). I have somewhere between 4 - 4.5 degrees (I wasn't worried about being exact) so like I thought I would benefit from the longer Mopar LCAs. I'm going to try and pick up a set this week... Thanks for all the info!