Sponsored

VooDoo1

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S, 2007 FJ Cruiser
Auto park exists because people in general are dumber today that they use to be.

50 years ago, your car's owners manual showed how to adjust the valves. Today, the owner's manual warns you not to drink the fluid in the battery.

PaulN

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
My grandmother put her 1963 Thunderbird into reverse at 80 mph (3-speed Cruise-O Matic MX). This, I do not recommend.
OK, so maybe putting it in reverse was a little unwise, but I just love the fact that your grandmother was driving a '63 T-Bird at 80mph! God bless her.

JimSa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
There is definitely a feature in the Tazer Mini to turn this off. I turned it off on mine.

Although I may turn it back on and just use a seatbelt extender for the times I want it off, such as those mentioned above.
FWIW - If I'm not mistaken, the Tazer setting to turn off AutoPark will also turn off the backup sensors (if you have them). I ran into this, but I suppose its possible there are two different flags/settings, one that turns off AutoPark only and one that turns off AutoPark + Other stuff, and I just chose wrong one.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I chew tobacco and occasionally need to open the door to spit while moving lol. Glad I have the 6 speed. I did accidentally throw my truck into park while driving down the interstate at 60mph. Barked the tires loudly but I had it back into neural quickly. Figured they’d have some kind of lockout to prevent that but nope.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Auto park exists because people in general are dumber today that they use to be.
Chicken-Egg: I think all these safety regulations allow the dumb people to survive longer.

Durango

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, 2019 Ram 1500 Quadcab 4X4, 2018 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 Charger SRT, 2018 American Dream, 2017 Ram 1500 Reg Cab 4X4, 2020 Redwood 3951MB, 2019 Mercedes 4WD Van
I too hate the Autopark feature - when I follow the process to tow my JL behind my coach, the manual says to turn the engine off before shifting into PARK at the end of the multi-step process to put the transfer case in NEUTRAL as req'd to flat tow it. As with every Auto tranny in a Jeep/Didge/Ram vehicle I've flat towed, if you don't follow the instructions, and shift to PARK with the engine running after getting the transfer case into NEUTRAL, you hear a terrible grinding noise (and everyone around for 100 ft hears it too). But not having the manual updated after programming the Autopark feature, I didn't add 2 and 2 to get 4, and when going through the process (w/o a seatbelt since you're not moving) with the tranny NOT in Park (and not attempting to put it in Park) I opened the door and then heard the terrible grinding noise. Shut engine off immediately, and repeated process only to get the grinding noise again. I'd like to say I figured out what happened after two tries, but the reason I had the door open was cause it was hot and didn't want to run AC right before towing for 5 hours where I'd need the battery for my braking device...so I probably didn't figure it out for at least one more try. THEN I realized by opening the damn door, I was unwittingly shifting it into Park with the engine running! I have since checked out the tranny's ability to hold in Park (so pawl was not sheared), but it doesn't make me a happy camper that the manuals haven't addressed this in the Recreational Towing section making note NOT to open door during process...

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
This is an informative thread and def something Jeep owners should be aware of. I was backing up slowly out of my driveway and opened door ever so slightly to glance behind vehicle and the transmission unexpectedly and suddenly locked up and wouldn't shift back into drive for several seconds (I assume till it reset). If not aware of this feature it can def be a "what the heck just happened moment".

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
I didn't see the option to disable it on the Tazer. Could someone enlighten me as to the location in the menu?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I didn't see the option to disable it on the Tazer. Could someone enlighten me as to the location in the menu?
@Ruby Clatterbox

You CANNOT disable "Auto Park" with a Tazer JL or any other programmer.

Early, early on, the Tazer JL was able to, but after FCA had a pcm udate the Tazer JL could no longer do.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I do not see a downside for auto-park.
In an emergency situation, the damn vehicle won't move if: (a) someone grabs your door open and he isn't welcome in, (b) one of the other doors is ajar and you need to move the JL to safety in seconds.

I'm sure people can come up with more scenarios. The point is; this thing was designed to solve a "corner-case" issue and creates it's own "corner-case" issues.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Autopark exists to keep people from killing themselves with mailboxes.
Wrong. Autopark was created to keep a space cadet from killing himself. But he beat FCA in that race.:clap:

TA1ton

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
Occupation
Civil Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
There are several conditions that the JL measures to determine whether or not to engage Autopark. The main three are the door, the seatbelt, and driver seat weight.

With doors on:
The computer checks for the door to be shut and seatbelt to be buckled. If both of the are not met...Autopark.

With doors off:
The computer checks for the seatbelt to be buckled and weight on the drivers seat. If both are not met...Autopark.

Other conditions include brake pedal, vehicle speed, ignition position, and transmission gear selection.

It’s all right there in the manual...

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Ah..so as long as your seatbelt is on, autopark will not engage. That's not as bad I as I was envisioning.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Ah..so as long as your seatbelt is on, autopark will not engage. That's not as bad I as I was envisioning.

There's a Youtube where a guy used a seatbelt extender to close the seatbelt sensor circuit to defeat Autopark on his Ram pickup. He tests autopark in the video and it appears to have worked for preventing Autopark from engaging when he tested it: when he was seated, no belt on (extender in place), backing and going forward while open door.

In the past year, I installed the short seatbelt extenders in my 14 GMC to quell the deafening and endless chimes from starting without the driver or passenger seatbelts on. The work great and I should have done it sooner.

Buy the good guy USA made extenders, if you go this route. You don't want to have one fail in a crash.
I ordered these from the same company I purchased extenders for my truck. https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/jeep-seat-belt-extenders/
Sponsored

Last edited: