First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
Hmmmm. Autopark. Never heard of it. ;)Sounds like a feature to help parallel park.
My Escalade does park itself. Both parallel parking and perpendicular parking. It is a very cool feature. With it's "super cruise" feature, it will drive itself down the highway. The owner's manual suggest staying awake. 🤣
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Now we have another "nanny" because of stupid people. The first time mine engaged in reverse it felt like I ran into a pole. I thought the Tazer could circumvent this, but not that I've found. If people could just pay attention to driving instead of letting the vehicle think for you, there would be a lot less "incidents". I say ban power steering and automatic transmissions. Give people something to do to actually drive instead of preparing breakfast or finishing makeup while letting the vehicle make decisions that that they should be making.

rcliff1

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 tj, 2014 Mustang GT, 2017 Ford F350 Dually, 2020 Diesel Rubicon on order
I traveled to Florida and the rental company gave me an Subaru Outback, the nanny features in that car were absolutely crazy. It actually scans your face when you start it and monitors your eye position.

Sponsored

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
A " seat belt extender" will disable auto park, and seat belt chimes. It plugs into the female side of the anchor point and fools the system into " thinking " the seatbelt is plugged in
I don't think seat belt has anything to do with it. Door open or ajar triggers it.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
A " seat belt extender" will disable auto park, and seat belt chimes. It plugs into the female side of the anchor point and fools the system into " thinking " the seatbelt is plugged in
You can drive around all day, without a seatbelt on, and the AutoPark will no engage. Maybe that will effect the AutoPark function, with the doors off.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I don't think seat belt has anything to do with it. Door open or ajar triggers it.

IF, your driver's side seat belt is not fastened and you open the driver's side door and attempt to drive forward or to drive in reverse, Auto Park will kick in and bring the vehicle to an immediate halt..

IF you use a seat belt clip or seat belt extender on the driver's side belt buckle, (or buckle your driver's side seat belt up BEHIND you) Auto Park, will not kick in as mentioned in the scenario above.

I trailer tow a lot and use a seat belt clip when hooking up the trailer. Seat belt clip, use, allows me to drive in reverse with driver's door open, so I can line up the JL's trailer hitch to the tongue of the trailer.. Also, allows the car wash guy to drive forward with driver's side door open, at the car wash. (No, I personally do not use car washes)

Jeep Wrangler JL Autopark Got Me sb-cli

Ruby Clatterbox

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 dr. Willy's
Thanks for that, I never tried it with the belt connected. I know if you keep your foot slightly on the brake, it won't kick in.

Sponsored

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Now we have another "nanny" because of stupid people. The first time mine engaged in reverse it felt like I ran into a pole. I thought the Tazer could circumvent this, but not that I've found. If people could just pay attention to driving instead of letting the vehicle think for you, there would be a lot less "incidents". I say ban power steering and automatic transmissions. Give people something to do to actually drive instead of preparing breakfast or finishing makeup while letting the vehicle make decisions that that they should be making.
There is definitely a feature in the Tazer Mini to turn this off. I turned it off on mine.

Although I may turn it back on and just use a seatbelt extender for the times I want it off, such as those mentioned above.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve been using a seat belt extender for almost a year and auto park will not engage .....

Mwags

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler unlimited JLU Sport S
Ok, so first off, learned what autopark is exactly today.

Researched it (barely) when buying my Jeep, but thought it was only for the Jeeps with all those fancy "lane detection" type features. Did not realize I had it, and the dealer didn't say a word about it. (Kinda feel like this should be mentioned when taking delivery but anyway)

In line at grocery pickup and I needed to pull up because a goofball who doesn't understand the need for space between vehicles in order to load groceries parked RIGHT UP on my bumper in the pickup line.

Hop back in the Jeep and the door doesn't fully latch despite closed, seatbelt off. Start rolling forward a tiny bit and bang autopark kicked on while rolling. I obviously wasn't going very fast at all and it is designed to kick on up to 1.2 MPH, but it made a short grinding type sound as the trans clunked into park.

How does this NOT damage a transmission? I've searched threads and found plenty of info on autopark but nothing about the longer term effect of it kicking on while rolling. Should I be worried?
No because most likely it won't happen again.

JB4818

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon; 2022 Ram 1500 Rebel
Vehicle Showcase
Apparently, with doors off, as long as the seatbelt is fastened you're good. If I'm not mistaken it will require your seatbelt be on. And inversely, if the doors are on and closed but your seatbelt is off, you should also be fine. Just the combination of those elements that triggers it.

And be warned, if triggered while rolling it will sound like death in your transmission.
When the doors are off (or unplugged) auto park does not engage at all. I move my Jeep in and out of the garage without a seatbelt and have triggered auto park, but only when the doors are on but not closed.

fun2drive

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
The auto park is a direct result of Actor Anton Yelchin’s death when the Jeep Grand Cherokee transmission not being in park rolling back and pinning him against a fence. 2016 is when it occurred and FCA had a recall which took any judgement out of your hands to implement this “fix”. The transmission is electric and is hard to know when in the correct gear. This trans shifter isn’t unusual as BMW had this for years too. So litigation is the reason for this change being done and it will never go away. His parents settled with FCA years ago but to stop future suits this is what we have.
Sponsored