Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Welcome!
Sponsored

Outlawd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 punk'n Rubicon unlimited, 1968 Plymouth GTX, 1969 Coronet R/T 440 BDS 871 blower 900hp
If this is your first Jeep ever then you WILL notice a little play in the steering compared to any other vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is designed to be the most off road capable licensed vehicle in the world and it is but the price for that ability is a little wander in the steering components. To keep it simple, Jeeps are built to wander, so go wander with it anywhere and everywhere!! Enjoy it!!

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
If this is your first Jeep ever then you WILL notice a little play in the steering compared to any other vehicle. The Jeep Wrangler is designed to be the most off road capable licensed vehicle in the world and it is but the price for that ability is a little wander in the steering components. To keep it simple, Jeeps are built to wander, so go wander with it anywhere and everywhere!! Enjoy it!!
My daughter learned to drive with my JL and had been driving it for a year. Tuesday, she just bought her first car, a 2020 Chevy Spark. She was so used to the play in the steering wheel of my Jeep that it was natural for her to move the steering wheel. She asked what was wrong with her Spark:CWL:.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
OK since I've been getting a lot of love here I have another question, what is the best way to store hardtop on the floor in the air "hoist" etc...
When I switched from the hard top to soft top I initially put cut pieces of pool noodles under four corners to keep it off the garage floor until I decided on a final ceiling mounting solution. I am in mechanical engineering so I looked at cost, capability, and speed of raising/lowering. After a week of spreadsheets, risk analysis, pros/cons, and a call to Latoya Jackson's psychic hotline I chose the Racor PHL-1R system. I did purchase the replacement steel cable cam drivers and the hoist bracket system from Topsy products. The one aspect of the Racor that I like is that it has a wire mesh shelf that I store the freedom panels on and I am still 100 lbs under the maximum load limit.

Total cost was about $350 including two 2x6's and using Spax construction screws to go through the 2x6's and into my ceiling joists. I screwed the brackets from Racor into the 2x6's and the entire system is extremely robust and probably over-engineered. I used the manual crank to raise and lower the top initially and it takes about 2-3 minutes max. I will try it with the 1/2" drill attachment and that will probably cut the time to raise or lower it to under 1 minute.

There are write-ups on both the Racor installation as well as other lift systems, including a mobile rack. There are also DIY installations using eye hooks and ratchet straps for under $40. I recommend reviewing what others did before you choose so that you get what you want and what you want to spend.

Sponsored

OP
OP

dannyd37920

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Danny,

We're practically twins. I added the 2.5" Mopar lift, but still waiting on Fuel Ammo Anthracite 17x9" (-12mm offset) wheels to be mated to Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler 35x12.5x17 All Terrains. My wife named him Snoopy.

You'll have fun picking your own mods. Don't let others pressure you into anything. But I am really (really) enjoying this lift, even on the stock wheels.

Welcome.

Jay

IMG_20200411_115427.jpg
Bet it'll look good with the new shoes

OP
OP

dannyd37920

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Wrangler Sport
Nice!

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
I guess it depends on what you are doing with your new jeep. Mine is a year old and the only real mod we've done is upgraded the tires and rims to another set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's BAJA P3's (285's) It came with 2 tops or that would be the second mod - a soft top.

m3lover1

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR, 2007 Yamaha R6
Hello Danny!! Welcome and enjoy the new ride!

BA33

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys Sport
Here's a little different approach: If you got your Jeep as a way to do other things, invest your first upgrade money in the other things. For example, if you got your Jeep because you wanted to go camping and fly fishing, invest in good camping gear and fishing equipment.

Sponsored

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
I guess it depends on what you are doing with your new jeep. Mine is a year old and the only real mod we've done is upgraded the tires and rims to another set of Mickey Thompson MTZ's BAJA P3's (285's) It came with 2 tops or that would be the second mod - a soft top.
My first upgrade was to be able to air down my tires (JT Brooks Tire Deflator Pros) to improve off roading in sandy washes (I live in Southern Arizona) and grip on rocky terrain. I also added an ARB dual compressor and installed it under the passenger seat and tied it to an auxiliary switch so that I can inflate my tires after off roading. I have used the compressor so many times since it can inflate 33" tires from 15 psi to 36 psi in about 1 minute. I had a cheap Walmart compressor that took 8 minutes to do one tire and needed to cool down between tires. I also like that I have the compressor always with me and can't forget it at home.

The next upgrade was to add Quadratec aluminum engine/tranny, transfer case, and fuel tank skid plates. The oil pan is so vulnerable in my opinion that I wanted to protect it.

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
OK Ladies and Gents just got my first ever jeep, a Bright White 2020 2D Sports Wrangler and I love it. I have two questions, first is what should my first "necassary" mod be and second how much play in the steering wheel is normal? Jeep steering seems to get more loose at higher speeds "above 50ish" and pull slightly to the right. Thanks in advance
[/QUOT
UV protection for everything that the sun can reach. lol

TXFirecracker

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Willys
Congrats on the new ride. My first mods were locking gas cap, cargo liner, cargo storage insert, seat covers for beach trips, step rails to assist the height challenged in the family. Next came the phone holder solution and then.........dang this site just keeps feeding the addiction. I've only had mine for 2 weeks....

Trauma Jeep

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver Zenith 2024 JLU
Congrats on the new ride. My first mods were locking gas cap, cargo liner, cargo storage insert, seat covers for beach trips, step rails to assist the height challenged in the family. Next came the phone holder solution and then.........dang this site just keeps feeding the addiction. I've only had mine for 2 weeks....
I would also look into the Bolt hood lock. It keys to your engine key (one less key to carry) and keeps people from easily messing with your engine as opposed to leaving your hood stock . I just installed mine this weekend (super easy).
for cleaning and upkeep: 303 makes some awesome cleaning and sealing products that protect from the damaging rays of the sun, especially if you live in a warmer climate and will go topless a lot. I live in southern FL and the sun is unrelenting. I had all of the windows tinted with a ceramic tint keeps interior cooler and blocks a majority of the UV rays. Have fun and enjoy your new ride!
Sponsored

Last edited: