Yankum Rope Worth It?

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue
I just saw strap rather than it being a stretchy strap. For the $5 difference I think the difference then becomes the capacity which is 10k vs 34k lbs. Was just throwing it out there as an option.

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
I just saw strap rather than it being a stretchy strap. For the $5 difference I think the difference then becomes the capacity which is 10k vs 34k lbs. Was just throwing it out there as an option.
Ok, I was just curious. Didn't know if I was missing anything.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Gear America is the one I have too. I've yet to use it yet though...

Sponsored

SnowyHaijo

First Name
Haijo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I’ve used my kinetic rope from customsplice.com a few times. Worked great the times I’ve used it and run a bit cheaper than the brands that market everywhere like bubba and yankum.

CopperMtnGuy

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler, 2005 KJ
Tow straps are static - for towing a vehicle on a normal surface.
Recovery Straps are kinetic, so good for pulling stuck vehicles, but have a limited number of uses (like 3-5) before they are used up.
Recovery ropes are kinetic and are the longest lasting.

SO this is what I would tell you. What ever you buy, buy quality rated rope. I bought a factor 55 rope after talking with Yankum and Factor 55 on the phone discussing my vehicle weight and type of use and how to use the rope.

With that said, a cheaper kinetic rope cost me a bunch of money. This is of the kinetic rope breaking.....

Sound on. The rope breaking sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

It should be noted the my Jeep is not stuck bad.

Damage report.
One broken kinetic rope. Replaced with a Factor 55 rope.$155
new grill inserts....... I think it was around $40
New AC condenser. $160
$200 to install the new AC condenser. I lucked out as while it caved in the AC condenser, It did not leak any of the coolant so that was saved. Just know that the refrigerant for your JL is $15 an ounce and it will cost about $400 if you need to do a full refill of your AC system.
New winch as it destroyed the winch control box. I had a Smitybuilt X20 12,000 winch. The new control box was $350. I was not sticking $350 into a $500 winch. The winch had served me well. But I upgraded to a Warn Winch. $850

The Warn winch would not fit in my old bumper and I scratched up the Warn winch trying to make it fit, so I did not want to send it back. So I had to buy a new bumper that would fit a Warn winch.

New bumper, $800. Then of course I needed different fog lights for the new bumper.... $100

It took five months for the bumper to come in. So I was five months with out a winch. This almost fucked me out wheeling. I got stuck on the shore of Lake Superior in the pea stone on the beach. I dropped the air pressure to zero. Basically removed the valve stem core and let all the air out of the tires. I had one shot. put it in 4low both lockers and luckily was able to climb out. Otherwise about a 11 mile walk out to get phone service or find someone to tow me out.

1669291396863.png

So at the end of it all my Jeep was not back to 100% for five months and a bunch of hassle and expense from a kinetic rope failure. Buy once, cry once.

If you watch Matt Recovery, you will know that a quality rope will take a tug and not break like mine did.

Moral of the story is yes a Yankee rope or other quality rope is worth it.
Where on Lake Superior are you allowed to drive on the beach? Looks beautiful!

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Tow straps are static - for towing a vehicle on a normal surface.
Recovery Straps are kinetic, so good for pulling stuck vehicles, but have a limited number of uses (like 3-5) before they are used up.
Recovery ropes are kinetic and are the longest lasting.

Where on Lake Superior are you allowed to drive on the beach? Looks beautiful!
Well not like driving on the beach. More like allowed to park and camp on the beach. We are camping on the beach. And I was in the process of driving around my camper to pull out my other bud in a Trail Hawk that was stuck trying to back up with his camper.

The place is called the Rocket Range. Nasa launched some rockets from here in the past.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669389015564

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669389070649

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669389096379

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669389126605

Here is a pin drop for it.

https://goo.gl/maps/9NYvwN2fGouq8b4Y7

This is also close by.

https://goo.gl/maps/L2kcNrJ5wvXfQwZN6

There is some good trails in the area and it is an epic place to camp.
Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669389070649

Last edited:

Old Jeeper

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Port Charlotte, FL, Naples Fl, 17 Oaks Ranch, Tex
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLR-X 2023 JLR, 2021 JTR. 20 F 450 KR,
Occupation
US Army Infantry, IT Engineer
Are yankum ropesv worth it, or just paying for the brand name?

Any good cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!
Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap!

When it comes to Rope winch, yank you name this is MY COMPANY:

https://www.masterpull.com/industrial/kinetic-recovery-ropes/

I bought my winch rope from the guy who started this company in 2003. Its on its 4th winch today. Every other year (sometimes every year) I ship it off in the winter when I am not offroading and have test and repair and its cost me NOTHING other than me paying to ship it.

The guy who owns and started the company is a ROPE expert from tying down Oil Rigs in the North Sea to 9000 lb winches. His products are Superior and they back them 100%, even 20 years later.

Over the years I have seen, fingers cut off, hands mangled, a leg cut off right below the knee, and someone die from winching and yanking accidents. Every accident I saw came from a failed rope or cable.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Another vote for Yankum rope. "Buy once, cry once." or any of the myriad of sayings that elude to just valuing quality as the first and primary decision metric...

I've used it three (3) times and I was glad for the piece of mind in that it wasn't part of any variables that I had to really concern myself with... It would just work.

I bought my wife a Matt's Offroad Recovery version a while back. This was value added, because she likes the channel, thus it got me another step out of the perpetual hole I dig for myself every year, and I know she has quality recovery gear. Which she used to great success in Colorado three (3) weeks ago. đź‘Ť

Sponsored

CaJLMetalHead

First Name
CAJLMetalHead
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Sound on. The rope breaking sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

Moral of the story is yes a Yankee rope or other quality rope is worth it.
Here is the video I converted in case you cannot see it because of the lack of support of the HEVC CODEC

Wilbornz... I am curious... you said you got a new bumper... but, was it because the rope
damaged the bumper?...

OP
OP

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Cheap don't come good and good don't come cheap!

When it comes to Rope winch, yank you name this is MY COMPANY:

https://www.masterpull.com/industrial/kinetic-recovery-ropes/

I bought my winch rope from the guy who started this company in 2003. Its on its 4th winch today. Every other year (sometimes every year) I ship it off in the winter when I am not offroading and have test and repair and its cost me NOTHING other than me paying to ship it.

The guy who owns and started the company is a ROPE expert from tying down Oil Rigs in the North Sea to 9000 lb winches. His products are Superior and they back them 100%, even 20 years later.

Over the years I have seen, fingers cut off, hands mangled, a leg cut off right below the knee, and someone die from winching and yanking accidents. Every accident I saw came from a failed rope or cable.
Sounds good. Is the testing info listed on the website? I do not see it.

J0E

First Name
J0e
Threads
Reaction score
Website
bt39.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 05 LJR on 43s
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Drywall construction - reel estate
The one I linked to is kinetic, they just don’t list it that way. The vast majority of people here don’t need a 1 1/4”, 30’, 80,000 lb rated rope or strap. Most here will use it once or twice ever. Those who need a rope like that have already figured out what they need.
No, but a 1 ÂĽ" 20 foot buys safety. I use my 1 ÂĽ" Bubba at least once a month and don't worry about it breaking. breaking strength is 52,300 lbs

Recovery ropes have come on strong in the Jeep community, but we were using kinetic recovery straps long before that.

And yes, you DO NOT want a "tow strap" with metal hooks on the end. Full Stop.

Ropes are good for more pulls than straps. That said, I've never worn out a strap.

Also, more is NOT better when it comes to strap or rope diameter. Oversized ropes or straps won't stretch sufficiently, because they're sized for heavier loads.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-30-snatch-strap-cc120/_/R-DSBP-CC120

or

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-snatch-strap-29-ft-x-2-3-in-arb705lb/_/R-BHWQ-ARB705LB
Also, more is NOT better when it comes to strap or rope diameter. Oversized ropes or straps won't stretch sufficiently, because they're sized for heavier loads.
More than 18K is better. More than 52K, probably not. I yanked out a JT sport that was 200 yards into deep mud, burred to the frame. Slow pulling would have burred my JLR. A hard yank pulled him out and I kept pulling until we got to terrafirma.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-30-snatch-strap-cc120/_/R-DSBP-CC120

or

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-snatch-strap-29-ft-x-2-3-in-arb705lb/_/R-BHWQ-ARB705LB
At 17.6 K lbs, those are not safe for yanking.

The name of the rope was Roam. Something that my wife bought for me. I used it many times. It was a 7/8 in rope.
A good brand 7/8 is marginally better, but I'll bet a 1 ÂĽ" Roam wouldn't have broken.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? bubbaRope
Sponsored