Sponsored

Hi-Lift Jack Worth It?

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
How long have you carried one and how many times have you used it? How have you used it? Worth having bolted to your vehicle?
Sponsored

Grey Ghost 23

First Name
Dude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I have a High-Lift Jack I bought for my 2014 JK
Have not had to use but would not be without it
Never know when it would be needed
Great to have on the trail etc if my rig or someone I ride with has tire or stuck issue

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Tell me how you're gonna get stuck, and I'll tell you what recovery gear to bring. 😜

In general, folks don't recommend using hi-lift for simply changing flats, though I have used it for that.

But the most general use case for a high-lift is getting high-centered in a boulder field, then jacking up the jeep to build a rock road underneath it. I've done that a couple times.

In general, if you're not doing enough rock crawling to need rock-sliders and under-carriage armor, then a hi-lift may not be a good tool for you to carry; especially since sliders are the hands-down most convenient jacking point.

If you're getting stuck in the soft or the mud, it's probably better allocate money and space to maxtrax. A hi-lift is just gonna sink in that case. Personally, I hate mud and avoid it when I can.

You can use a hi-lift as a come-along, in lieu of a winch, but it's a pain to do so., and I've never done it. In general, if you think you might need a winch, just install one. Then check it before you go wheeling. Don't wait until you're stuck to find out it doesn't turn on and failed mysteriously sometime in the four years since you installed it. If you're just looking for a desperation tool of last resort, a dedicated come-along is cheaper and lighter.

Read the instructions. A hi lift used incorrectly can cost you a more expensive dental bill than Matt's Off Road Recovery would charge.

EDIT: PS - do you already have a shovel? If I only have space for a shovel OR a hi lift, I'm taking the shovel and leaving the hi lift behind.

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
Tell me how you're gonna get stuck, and I'll tell you what recovery gear to bring. 😜
This.

To the OP
The hi-lift is a heavy, bulky item that has few good uses. There are usually better tools for the job. If you're going to carry a hi-lift, at least learn how to use it, and use it at least a few times in the driveway to make sure you really know how to use it, and by using it you'll probably see that it's more trouble than it's worth, most of the time. Too, by using it, you'll see where and where not you can actually use it with your vehicle. It's not as simple as it's a really tall jack, it has to have a point on the vehicle from which to lift. Most people don't get that and think they'll just put it under the rocker and go at it. So, I'm one of those folks that think the hi-lift is a poor addition to most folks recovery gear and usually advise people that have one to leave it at home, probably in a corner of the garage where it won't fall on anyone or anything.

Sponsored

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Everyone else seems to have one. I've only used one once in 20 years. I don't have one for my Wrangler.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P

In general, folks don't recommend using hi-lift for simply changing flats, though I have used it for that.

But the most general use case for a high-lift is getting high-centered in a boulder field, then jacking up the jeep to build a rock road underneath it. I've done that a couple times.

In general, if you're not doing enough rock crawling to need rock-sliders and under-carriage armor, then a hi-lift may not be a good tool for you to carry; especially since sliders are the hands-down most convenient jacking point.

If you're getting stuck in the soft or the mud, it's probably better allocate money and space to maxtrax. A hi-lift is just gonna sink in that case. Personally, I hate mud and avoid it when I can.

You can use a hi-lift as a come-along, in lieu of a winch, but it's a pain to do so., and I've never done it. In general, if you think you might need a winch, just install one. Then check it before you go wheeling. Don't wait until you're stuck to find out it doesn't turn on and failed mysteriously sometime in the four years since you installed it. If you're just looking for a desperation tool of last resort, a dedicated come-along is cheaper and lighter.

Read the instructions. A hi lift used incorrectly can cost you a more expensive dental bill than Matt's Off Road Recovery would charge.

EDIT: PS - do you already have a shovel? If I only have space for a shovel OR a hi lift, I'm taking the shovel and leaving the hi lift behind.
Good tips.

I have also moved fallen trees when I didn't bring a saw. But my biggest save with a Hi-lift was a U-turn in deep snow. It may not be wise to follow snowmobile tracks in your YJ. Started at one end, lift tip over repeat. Head to the other end, lift tip over repeat. It's a long process but I can't think of another tool for the job. Oh and I would have backed out but visibility was close to zero.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
A Hi-Lift jack is incredibly strong and versatile. It's worth carrying if you're creative enough and safety conscious enough to figure out ways to use it. It can apply forces that may cause severe injuries if used unwisely. If your mind is just going to get stuck on "it's a jack for the Jeep" or if you are not well versed in the practical application of physics, carry a different type of jack. The Hi-Lift is not for you. I have used my Hi-Lift for many things and interestingly enough, most of them don't involve the Jeep (mainly moving large fallen trees/boulders and as an anchor point).

The vast majority of my Jeep jacking happens in my garage and there I use a floor jack, never the Hi-Lift. The Hi-Lift is a trail tool that can also be used, on rare occasion, to jack up the Jeep. You typically don't need it, you almost never plan on needing it but when you do need it you really need it.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
When I first started wheeling back in the 80’s, I thought I needed a hi-lift. “One of these days” I said to myself. Here we are 35ish years later and I still don’t have one, and haven’t “needed” one. There may have been times where it would have made something easier, but if you want easy, stay away from anywhere that you’d actually need a hi-lift.

I still have that nagging thought that I need one. It’s obviously a thought that tattooed itself on my teenage brain for some reason. I know it’s not reasonable, but maybe “one of these days” I’ll buy one anyway.

Sponsored

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Only used it once during decades of Jeep ownership, and that was for a utility trailer. I now carry a milsurp HMMWV jack that is probably overkill, but definitely better than the stock jack and takes up less space than the Hi-Lift.

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team
How long have you carried one?
- Off/On for 30 years. Depending on the situation.
How many times have you used it?
- Dozens of times on the trail, in recreational wheeling trips.
- Many dozens of times during training events showing other people how to use them.
How have you used it?
- Most of the time it is used to change a flat tire or replace a broken axle part (always use a support before getting under your Jeep).
- A couple times it has been used to stabilize a vehicle that slid off the trail while we winch it back up on the trail.

Worth having bolted to your vehicle?
- Most of the time, it is not used. But when you need one it is irreplaceable.
The Hi-Lift jack is one of the most useful tool that most people will probably never use to its full potential.

For most people, they will be used to change out a trail damaged flat tire or to lift up the rig to work on broken axle parts.

When you have a lifted, flexible suspension, the HiLift is the least expensive tool to help lift that rig high enough to change a tire.

For Hi-Lift Jacks, I recommend the 60" X-Treme:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jacks/xt-605pc-hi-lift-60in-x-treme-jack

The 60" length makes it harder to store in your Jeep, but the extra height is awesome when it comes time to actually use it. The X-Treme model also has a better top clamp.

There are a few other items that are handy to have in your Hi-Lift bag:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jacks/orb-hi-lift-off-road-base
Lift-Mate:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jacks/lm-100-hi-lift-jack-lift-mate
Bumper Lift Attachment:
https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/jacks/bl-250-hi-lift-jack-bumper-lift-attachment

Now, all that said, if you only want a jack to lift a vehicle up and can afford it, I recommend the ARB Jack. Yes, they are expensive, but they are super easy to use and more user friendly that the HiLift.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack Worth It? PNW4WDA-trainin

About me:
I have been a charter member of the 4WDABC (4 Wheel Drive Assoc of British Columbia) trainer's team and a training officer of the PNW4WDA (Pacific Northwest 4 Wheel Drive Assoc) for a number of years and do private off road training classes. If any one is in the PNW and interested in learning how to use a Hi-Lift (or other off-road skills) feel free to reach out to me about a class. There are also a couple free classes a year.

Last edited:

beast40

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
I've used a high lift a few times on my TJ. When you need one, you need one. I have one for my JL but I only bring it when going off-road, otherwise it sits in the garage. Weather/rust can make the pins stick which is the last thing you want when you actually need one.

kah.mun.rah

First Name
Merenkahre Jr.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Short answer for most people, no. I had used one for over 10 years then once while using it I thought I heard the "click". Let my weight off on the handle and it sprung up and caught me on the chin causing me to almost bite off my tongue.

Jeep Wrangler JL Hi-Lift Jack Worth It? 1672424942616

Long answer, they look cool and can do a lot of things but a bottle jack is much easier to store and many times safer to operate when using to lift the Jeep.

jaymz

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
Only used it once during decades of Jeep ownership, and that was for a utility trailer. I now carry a milsurp HMMWV jack that is probably overkill, but definitely better than the stock jack and takes up less space than the Hi-Lift.
If you’re talking about this HMMWV jack, at 75lbs and $500-$600, there’s no way in hell I’m gonna load that thing and carry it around no matter how much space it takes.
Sponsored