Sponsored

Hi Lift Jack....What Can You Do With It?

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
According to everything I have read, you can either do everything or it is useless and will kill you
My Hi Lift sits over in the corner of my garage just waiting for some unsuspecting fool to come within reach.....

Doc
Sponsored

Martindfletcher

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ducati 1299s, 2018 JLUR
I got mine mounted inside the car attached to the roll bar. Forgot the brand of the brackets. I like it inside because outside they rust and require frequent maintenance. But it is a chore to keep that thing from rattling.
As for the uses, it is almost useless as jack for the car unless you already spend a fortune on bumpers and rock sliders capable of holding the weight of the Jeep. Most bumpers and Rick sliders cannot take it. I got some Y strap you can use to lift from the wheel but obviously you can’t change the wheel lol.
I go5 that tire strap as well. It’s great if your hung up and want to stack stuff under the tire

Venosiar

First Name
Mark Manson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 2008
Occupation
Driver
I'd carry a Hi-lift Jack & 'normal' winch recovery kit plus a winch extn strap before I'd carry a hand winch & that bloody great lump of winch cable roll!! But a Patrol door is NOT the place to mount it for more than a few weeks. You can swap the brackets to hang it off the INside of your roof rack; or just slide the lift head off the bar, pull the handle out of the lift head, & stash the disassembled parts somewhere easily accessible in the back of the vehicle, or under the middle row of seats (if there's nothing else there & you can readily get it all out if you do get stuck)

For those not in the know, - Hi-lifts aren't meant to be used for tyre changing (altho you might need to use one to lift you vehicle high enough to put a proper 'tyre changing jack' under the vehicle!
icon_e_wink.gif
) Buuut, you can buy relatively cheap attachments to fit your wheels so you can lift one at a time to pack under it to regain traction; others that fit your bull bar to lift that end; your tow bar receiver hitch will work up the back; & good rock rails or sliders will let you lift one side - giving you places at all 4 corners (wheels) to lift as well as each side & up front & back - meaning you'd have enough lift points to remedy any one bogged or traction less wheel, lift one side to regain traction or un-bog, or move the front or back sideways about 1metre to get out of deep ruts, or even turn the vehicle in its own length (lotta hard work tho!!) So they are phenomenally versatile recovery & 'get moving' aids! And then with the correct attachments you've also got a powerful clamp, a spreader, a bead breaker, a jack, a brace, AND if you want to make winching in any direction with a Hi-lift easier than it already is with just the basic winch recovery kit & a couple of correctly sized shackles, there's even a kit for that!!

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
I've used my HiLift dozens of times "JOCKYING" my trailer around in the SIERRAS and lifting my truck to move outta tracks in The snow---

I've rarely used it for any tire changes--I use an "ELECTRIC JACK" for that

W.E.

JIMBO

Sponsored

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
the handle works great as a bandaid fix for a broken drag link.

use as a winch in many different ways. good to slide that rear end away from the cliff edge and back onto the trail.

a hi lift extreme (gold version) has the spreader attachment to spread the roof back up if you roll (xj, zj, wj..etc).

lift the jeep enough to push over to get tires out of ruts (think that was already mentioned too).

but yeah, if you don't have aftermarket steel bumpers or rock sliders, the hi lift will crumple stock bumpers like a tin can.

very handy tool. just be careful when your father in law is using it to carefully jack up his dock, from the decking, to fit cement level pads under the dock poles, and he accidentally flips the switch to lower the jack, and the handle lets go and hits him in the forehead, knocking him backwards off the dock, into the lake. lol.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
They can be good for castration as well

Dogboyslim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon Punkn.
Good if you have a lift, good if you need to winch a small amount and don't have a winch, dangerous if you don't know what you are doing.