Sponsored

Winch rope protective rap - where to use it?

smokinjeep

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL on order
So with my smittybilt winch came a black protective sleeve for the winch rope. I always thought it went on the very end of the rope. I watched a video last night that show'd it used on the very beginning of the rope around the drum. Then i saw another video where a guy had two sleeves, one at the beginning and one at the end.

So where is it used beginning or end?

Where can I purchase another sleeve?
Sponsored

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
So with my smittybilt winch came a black protective sleeve for the winch rope. I always thought it went on the very end of the rope. I watched a video last night that show'd it used on the very beginning of the rope around the drum. Then i saw another video where a guy had two sleeves, one at the beginning and one at the end.

Use it wherever your line may need protection

gts

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLR
Many store them by wrapping it around the end of the rope (near the hook) so that it will be available when the rope is pulled out, you only need to use it when the rope contacts the ground or a rock between you and whatever you are connected to.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

Most good synthetic winch ropes come with two sleeves for the rope:
1.) The first goes on to protect the length of rope that makes direct contact with the drum. It is essentially a heat shield and to provide a protective barrier to keep the rope strands from resting on the metal drum.
2.) The one that you will see and move much more often than the first is a chafe guard. It should stay at hooked end of your winch rope. It slides pretty easily when your rope is spooled out. Use it to keep your rope off of any rocks/dirt/shrubbery/stupid friends that get too close to your winch rope while you are trying to complete a recovery. If you don’t have any obstacles between you and your anchor point, just leave it at the end of your rope and you don’t need to touch it. There are some that Velcro on and folks take them on and off when needed but I’ve always found they get nasty and it’s best just to leave them on the rope. They can also serve as a UV blocker for your rope if your winch rope is exposed to a lot of sunlight. Do your best to keep it neat and tightly spooled with your cable and it should last a good while. If you’re doing it right, the chafe guard will get abrasive damage before your rope does. Replacing a guard I cheaper than replacing a rope.

KingCon

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon jl
Most good synthetic winch ropes come with two sleeves for the rope:
1.) The first goes on to protect the length of rope that makes direct contact with the drum. It is essentially a heat shield and to provide a protective barrier to keep the rope strands from resting on the metal drum.
2.) The one that you will see and move much more often than the first is a chafe guard. It should stay at hooked end of your winch rope. It slides pretty easily when your rope is spooled out. Use it to keep your rope off of any rocks/dirt/shrubbery/stupid friends that get too close to your winch rope while you are trying to complete a recovery. If you don’t have any obstacles between you and your anchor point, just leave it at the end of your rope and you don’t need to touch it. There are some that Velcro on and folks take them on and off when needed but I’ve always found they get nasty and it’s best just to leave them on the rope. They can also serve as a UV blocker for your rope if your winch rope is exposed to a lot of sunlight. Do your best to keep it neat and tightly spooled with your cable and it should last a good while. If you’re doing it right, the chafe guard will get abrasive damage before your rope does. Replacing a guard I cheaper than replacing a rope.
Like I said with 1000 words less

Use it where its needed

Sponsored

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
My Smittybilt X20 12000# w/ synthetic rope only came with one cover. I'm reading in a few places that there's a need for one where the rope wraps around the drum due to heat. If that were true, wouldn't one for that purpose been included?

I just installed it. I still need to pretension the line. I will put the hook end rope sleeve on when I do. Any tips for keeping it from bunching up as it goes through the fairlead?

IMG_20191220_134751.jpg

TrewJL

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Occupation
CEO
Was the compound or color of the rope different at the drum? With my Warn it was and it seemed more durable and would be more resistant. The other cover is at the front so I can place it where needed as previously mentioned.

Darter02

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ronlutzii-photographer.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Photographer
Was the compound or color of the rope different at the drum? With my Warn it was and it seemed more durable and would be more resistant. The other cover is at the front so I can place it where needed as previously mentioned.
It's the same for the entire length of the line. There's no real distinct difference like a Warn line.
Sponsored