Sponsored

Yankum Rope Worth It?

treillw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Are yankum ropesv worth it, or just paying for the brand name?

Any good cheaper alternatives?

Thanks!
Sponsored

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
This might be just as good for the 5 times I'm going to use it in my life??

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-lb-capacity-3-in-x-30-ft-recovery-snatch-strap-58139.html
Frequency of use is definitely a factor. When I decided on a winch I thought the Warns look really neat, but I was realistic in estimating how much I'd actually have to use it, so I got a cheaper Quadratec.

The reviews on this seem positive enough. In fact, you have gotten me to consider one of these. For the 3 times I'm going to use it in my life.

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

MikeEIB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD & 2013 JKR 10A
Damn the responses so far are highly disappointing. Tow straps are not even close to equivalent to a kinetic rope. Don’t get hung up on brand names just shop around and get a good rope with adequate rating.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The one I linked to is kinetic, they just don’t list it that way. The vast majority of people here don’t need a 1 1/4”, 30’, 80,000 lb rated rope or strap. Most here will use it once or twice ever. Those who need a rope like that have already figured out what they need.

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Recovery ropes have come on strong in the Jeep community, but we were using kinetic recovery straps long before that.

And yes, you DO NOT want a "tow strap" with metal hooks on the end. Full Stop.

Ropes are good for more pulls than straps. That said, I've never worn out a strap.

Also, more is NOT better when it comes to strap or rope diameter. Oversized ropes or straps won't stretch sufficiently, because they're sized for heavier loads.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/smittybilt-30-snatch-strap-cc120/_/R-DSBP-CC120

or

https://www.4wheelparts.com/p/arb-snatch-strap-29-ft-x-2-3-in-arb705lb/_/R-BHWQ-ARB705LB

Jtaugner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURD / 03 Cobra
Build Thread
Link
If you're actually going to use it, with some kind of frequency; either a Bubba Rope or Yankum is going to be the best bet.

Otherwise just get whatever is cheapest.

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
SO this is what I would tell you. What ever you buy, buy quality rated rope. I bought a factor 55 rope after talking with Yankum and Factor 55 on the phone discussing my vehicle weight and type of use and how to use the rope.

With that said, a cheaper kinetic rope cost me a bunch of money. This is of the kinetic rope breaking.....

Sound on. The rope breaking sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

It should be noted the my Jeep is not stuck bad.

Damage report.
One broken kinetic rope. Replaced with a Factor 55 rope.$155
new grill inserts....... I think it was around $40
New AC condenser. $160
$200 to install the new AC condenser. I lucked out as while it caved in the AC condenser, It did not leak any of the coolant so that was saved. Just know that the refrigerant for your JL is $15 an ounce and it will cost about $400 if you need to do a full refill of your AC system.
New winch as it destroyed the winch control box. I had a Smitybuilt X20 12,000 winch. The new control box was $350. I was not sticking $350 into a $500 winch. The winch had served me well. But I upgraded to a Warn Winch. $850

The Warn winch would not fit in my old bumper and I scratched up the Warn winch trying to make it fit, so I did not want to send it back. So I had to buy a new bumper that would fit a Warn winch.

New bumper, $800. Then of course I needed different fog lights for the new bumper.... $100

It took five months for the bumper to come in. So I was five months with out a winch. This almost fucked me out wheeling. I got stuck on the shore of Lake Superior in the pea stone on the beach. I dropped the air pressure to zero. Basically removed the valve stem core and let all the air out of the tires. I had one shot. put it in 4low both lockers and luckily was able to climb out. Otherwise about a 11 mile walk out to get phone service or find someone to tow me out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669291396863

So at the end of it all my Jeep was not back to 100% for five months and a bunch of hassle and expense from a kinetic rope failure. Buy once, cry once.

If you watch Matt Recovery, you will know that a quality rope will take a tug and not break like mine did.

Moral of the story is yes a Yankee rope or other quality rope is worth it.

Sponsored

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
SO this is what I would tell you. What ever you buy, buy quality rated rope. I bought a factor 55 rope after talking with Yankum and Factor 55 on the phone discussing my vehicle weight and type of use and how to use the rope.

With that said, a cheaper kinetic rope cost me a bunch of money. This is of the kinetic rope breaking.....

Sound on. The rope breaking sounds like a rifle shot through the woods.

It should be noted the my Jeep is not stuck bad.

Damage report.
One broken kinetic rope. Replaced with a Factor 55 rope.$155
new grill inserts....... I think it was around $40
New AC condenser. $160
$200 to install the new AC condenser. I lucked out as while it caved in the AC condenser, It did not leak any of the coolant so that was saved. Just know that the refrigerant for your JL is $15 an ounce and it will cost about $400 if you need to do a full refill of your AC system.
New winch as it destroyed the winch control box. I had a Smitybuilt X20 12,000 winch. The new control box was $350. I was not sticking $350 into a $500 winch. The winch had served me well. But I upgraded to a Warn Winch. $850

The Warn winch would not fit in my old bumper and I scratched up the Warn winch trying to make it fit, so I did not want to send it back. So I had to buy a new bumper that would fit a Warn winch.

New bumper, $800. Then of course I needed different fog lights for the new bumper.... $100

It took five months for the bumper to come in. So I was five months with out a winch. This almost fucked me out wheeling. I got stuck on the shore of Lake Superior in the pea stone on the beach. I dropped the air pressure to zero. Basically removed the valve stem core and let all the air out of the tires. I had one shot. put it in 4low both lockers and luckily was able to climb out. Otherwise about a 11 mile walk out to get phone service or find someone to tow me out.

Jeep Wrangler JL Yankum Rope Worth It? 1669291396863

So at the end of it all my Jeep was not back to 100% for five months and a bunch of hassle and expense from a kinetic rope failure. Buy once, cry once.

If you watch Matt Recovery, you will know that a quality rope will take a tug and not break like mine did.

Moral of the story is yes a Yankee rope or other quality rope is worth it.
Wow that’s crazy. What diameter rope? How many uses? Care to say what brand? Factor 55 makes some quality stuff and the fact it’s made in the USA is even better IMO.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
It is best to not cheap out when buying recovery gear, that's usually your last ditch effort. Kinetic ropes and tow straps serve two different purposes and shouldn't be substituted for each other. Failure of a piece of recovery gear can sometimes lead to serious injury or death, let alone more vehicle damage. Nothing like hearing a line snap and hoping you were wearing your brown pants that day after making sure everyone is alive.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
Wow that’s crazy. What diameter rope? How many uses? Care to say what brand? Factor 55 makes some quality stuff and the fact it’s made in the USA is even better IMO.
The name of the rope was Roam. Something that my wife bought for me. I used it many times. It was a 7/8 in rope.

AZJeepGuy

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Hydro Blue

Yzfguy

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand cherokee , wrangler JLU Willys
My dealer refused to delete the B.S. recovery "kit" with my Jeep. So now I have a a pair of gloves, a d hook and official rope that I 'm pretty sure cost me 175 bucks ;)
Sponsored

Last edited: