Sponsored

MNWrangx2

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon, 2013 JK Wrangler Unlimited Freedom
Because this has become such an issue across the JL model line, having a non-converted steering box might be a negative at the time of selling. To me, if it drives nicely, having a lighter steering box is a plus.
Sell it? No way, I'm going to keep up until I have to convert it to a trailered wheeling-only Jeep, and then I'm still keeping it! My JKU I've already had for 8 years and expect to run it at least another 9 years as I hand it down to my son.
Sponsored

First Name
Damen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willys
Just picked up my 2020 Jeep JL from the dealership after having the TSB done. Made zero difference. I can still drive down the highway and move the steering wheel left/right 2-3 inches without the wheels turning and constantly having to correct the steering. I verified they installed the new steering box and topped off the power steering fluid. I'm lost for words to be honest. First time Jeep buyer and very disappointed. I sold a VERY reliable 2016 4Runner for this HEEP!!!!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Just picked up my 2020 Jeep JL from the dealership after having the TSB done. Made zero difference. I can still drive down the highway and move the steering wheel left/right 2-3 inches without the wheels turning and constantly having to correct the steering. I verified they installed the new steering box and topped off the power steering fluid. I'm lost for words to be honest. First time Jeep buyer and very disappointed. I sold a VERY reliable 2016 4Runner for this HEEP!!!!
Verified 2dr part number? Sorry to hear still having issues

Iggy

First Name
Russell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
I had the same result. I just got mine back out of the dealership after they threatened a $180 inspection charge if there was nothing wrong. Well, I had the same 1-3” slop in the center so I knew they had work to do. On this second trip, they adjusted the steering box and it feels better. Does it feel like a $40,000 vehicle should feel? No. It feels better, that’s all.

Sponsored

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
Because this has become such an issue across the JL model line, having a non-converted steering box might be a negative at the time of selling. To me, if it drives nicely, having a lighter steering box is a plus.
Don't think it's something that is well known outside of hard core community.
When you sell it, if it drives fine - it does not matter what box you have.
I had dead spot on center with aluminum box, so I adjusted the adjuster screw 1/4 of a turn and now have zero dead play. All that's left to do is increase caster to minimize wandering on garbage MI roads.
10.5 wide tires don't help when it comes to following ruts in the road.

First Name
Damen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willys
Don't think it's something that is well known outside of hard core community.
When you sell it, if it drives fine - it does not matter what box you have.
I had dead spot on center with aluminum box, so I adjusted the adjuster screw 1/4 of a turn and now have zero dead play. All that's left to do is increase caster to minimize wandering on garbage MI roads.
10.5 wide tires don't help when it comes to following ruts in the road.
When adjusting the steering box did you turn the lash screw clockwise or counter-clockwise?

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Yep...68507571AA.
Sorry man. I would ask them to verify all torque values are correct and verify they actually changed/torqued IShaft bolt. Again that sucks...

First Name
Damen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Willys
Sorry man. I would ask them to verify all torque values are correct and verify they actually changed/torqued IShaft bolt. Again that sucks...
Thanks for the suggestions. I am also going to ask them if the steering box can be adjusted.

Sponsored

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

My question would be: if you're satisfied with your Jeep's steering, should you have the dealer do the change or simply leave it as is...
I would recommend not getting your steering box replaced if it is functioning well for two reasons, 1. you don't want the dealer messing something up (if it isn't broken....) and 2. people who have actual steering issues (which can be very scary at times) are having to wait because people with non-issue steering boxes are requesting new ones (not every JL has this steering issue, which has been documented in many threads). Dealers can only order one steering box every 14 days. My steering box is coming in on Monday after waiting since September 9th. The dealer told me there are 12 more people scheduled after me. 12 people x 14 days = 24 weeks. That last person will not get their new steering box until April 2021. If I was told that I would have to wait until next year, I would be trading the JL in for something outside of the FCA family. My Jeep has already wondered off the road several times since I purchased it a few months ago.

G13

First Name
Shundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6
I would recommend not getting your steering box replaced if it is functioning well for two reasons, 1. you don't want the dealer messing something up (if it isn't broken....) and 2. people who have actual steering issues (which can be very scary at times) are having to wait because people with non-issue steering boxes are requesting new ones (not every JL has this steering issue, which has been documented in many threads). Dealers can only order one steering box every 14 days. My steering box is coming in on Monday after waiting since September 9th. The dealer told me there are 12 more people scheduled after me. 12 people x 14 days = 24 weeks. That last person will not get their new steering box until April 2021. If I was told that I would have to wait until next year, I would be trading the JL in for something outside of the FCA family. My Jeep has already wondered off the road several times since I purchased it a few months ago.
I have decided to wait for a while for the same reasons. Mine (2020 JLUR) is not so bad that I can always correct by lightly adjusting the steering wheel holding with three fingers. I got Mopar lift LCA and installed them, and that made the Jeep a lot more stable. The temperature is getting cooler, and everything got firmed up so much that I don’t feel like I even need the new steering box now. I will wait at least until April to decide for sure. Maybe FCA would come up with updated cast iron steering box.

Driftyd

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler JL rubicon
Yep....I experienced very similiar issues after having my dealer install the new steel box on my 2018 sport s 6 speed. The new box created a notched feeling and sound at steering center, the dead spot on the hwy got larger and the jeep now has a left pull. I checked bolt torque at home with the jeep on the ground and turned lock to lock 5 times thinking maybe it needed to be bled. Brought it back to the dealer the next morning and the tech rechecked the software, bolt torque and confirmed the pull and the notched feeling...but it wasn't as pronounced.

I reached back out to @JeepCares and my dealer started a star case. 5 days later my dealer calls and claims FCA wants me to pay $125 to flash the CPU to reflect the 37" tire size. I told them I used a Tazer for this like thousands of other people and asked how updating the software for tire size is going to correct a new notched steering issue, larger dead spot and a new left hand pull? These symptoms started when the new box was installed. The dealer said they didn't understand how a tire flash could help and I could try reaching out to FCA. I respectfully expresssed how poor I felt FCA's response was to the star case after having already driven 30 min to the dealer 4 times.(initial inspection, box install, picking up jeep the next day and back the next day to report issues) It's a waste of time to drive back a 5th time to pay $125 for a simple tire size calibration flash...I feel FCA's response was aimed at discouraging me from pursuing further.:lipssealed:

I called FCA and reported the issues and have returned 2 missed calls from them over the last week and haven't heard back yet. :headbang:
I just took mine in a week ago and I have been complaining about this for two years because my 2018 Rubicon and yes it’s a JL has had this issue from the beginning. I spoke to FCA did some digging and complaining with him on the phone and they finally told me there was a safety recall it is the U48 I also found out there is a national safety recall NHTSA 18-V-343. I told this to a dealership and they said that they are on back order and they are only allowing them to order them every 14 days so now I am in a wait and see and I don’t have my jeep back and it could be a month.

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
how can some of us get parts within a week, some of others are told (3) months as dealers are on a min. order allotment.

MMalone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sahara 4XE White
Occupation
Industrial Engineer
how can some of us get parts within a week, some of others are told (3) months as dealers are on a min. order allotment.
Sponsored