Mopar LCA swap

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon Granite Crystal
Yup, I'm as surprised as you are about the caster. It's an all stock JLUR but I have the steel bumper group and a warn evo 10s winch. I think I'm one of the few that, for reasons unknown, I have a higher than average caster from the factory.
You have nothing new there. Mine was the same. The more weight on the front, the more the front drops, the lower it sits, and the higher the caster number goes. The more lift you get the lower the caster goes. The reason Geometry Correction Brackets were invented.
Mine was the same after installing a bumper and winch. Caster went up. Then I put in 2.5” springs lost caster again. I have since put a heavier front bumper and caster has increased again. I’ll be installing MC Geometry Correction Brackets soon to dial in the front.
Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Did you have the winch on when you got your caster reading ?
Yes I did. The Jeep is about 2 years old and came from the factory with steel bumpers. I put the winch on shortly after I got it so everything should be settled now.

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You have nothing new there. Mine was the same. The more weight on the front, the more the front drops, the lower it sits, and the higher the caster number goes. The more lift you get the lower the caster goes. The reason Geometry Correction Brackets were invented.
Mine was the same after installing a bumper and winch. Caster went up. Then I put in 2.5” springs lost caster again. I have since put a heavier front bumper and caster has increased again. I’ll be installing MC Geometry Correction Brackets soon to dial in the front.
That's interesting because people are shocked that my caster is so high when I haven't swapped the LCA's out.

When you had the bumpers, winch, and stock springs, did you swap out to the longer mopar LCA's? If so, what was your caster?

Like everybody, I'm trying to optimize my driving experience. I'm just wondering if I should leave things as is since my caster is close to what people try to shoot for, just down a half degree.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yes I did. The Jeep is about 2 years old and came from the factory with steel bumpers. I put the winch on shortly after I got it so everything should be settled now.
Yeah, the weight of winch is likely where your increased caster is coming from. I still think you will benefit from the Mopar lcas……

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Yeah, that’s likely where your increased caster is coming from. I still think you will benefit from the Mopar lcas……
Yeah, I think I'd still get them. My caster was a bit over 6 after I added the Mopar lift LCAs to my Rubicon spring setup, I then added spacers for another 1.5" of overall lift. My caster is now around 5-ish and I much prefer the extra degree I had prior to those spacers. Jeep not wandering but not as locked in as prior, have to use a hand rather than just a finger on the wheel to keep it tight running 75.

Sponsored

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, the weight of winch is likely where your increased caster is coming from. I still think you will benefit from the Mopar lcas……
What about pinion angle? What should I be seeing as a range of acceptable?

Thank You!!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
What about pinion angle? What should I be seeing as a range of acceptable?

Thank You!!
Pinion angle will not be an issue with the small amount you’ll be increasing….. Also with the FAD the front drive shaft will not be spinning in 2 wd, only in 4wd… you likely wont be going fast enough in 4wd to see any vibration…..guys can say what they want about the FAD, but it has allowed us to run higher caster than we could in the JKs…..resulting in a better handling rig, when everything else is dialed in of course…….

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
Pinion angle will not be an issue with the small amount you’ll be increasing….. Also with the FAD the front drive shaft will not be spinning in 2 wd, only in 4wd… you likely wont be going fast enough in 4wd to see any vibration…..guys can say what they want about the FAD, but it has allowed us to run higher caster than we could in the JKs…..resulting in a better handling rig, when everything else is dialed in of course…….
what is “FAD”?

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's interesting because people are shocked that my caster is so high when I haven't swapped the LCA's out.

When you had the bumpers, winch, and stock springs, did you swap out to the longer mopar LCA's? If so, what was your caster?

Like everybody, I'm trying to optimize my driving experience. I'm just wondering if I should leave things as is since my caster is close to what people try to shoot for, just down a half degree.
Yes I also added the LCAs. It made a bit of difference but not too much.

Sponsored

jav_eee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
might get a 2018 JL Rubicon
Front axle disconnect…..
Oh! So current model gladiators have that? (Sorry for the ignorance my last jeep was a TJ. It’s been a while…)

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Oh! So current model gladiators have that? (Sorry for the ignorance my last jeep was a TJ. It’s been a while…)
Yeah, I think everything except the 392 has it…..

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes I also added the LCAs. It made a bit of difference but not too much.
I think I'll probably do it but I want to get some miles in after my alignment. It was too windy over the weekend to see really how it feels. I also lowered my PSI to 35 but the TPMS is reading 37, so I'm playing the game of which gauge is right.

After they aligned it, my initial reaction is that it feels better but it wasn't totally fixed. I feel like all these little things add up where they are slowly improving but it's not a single thing that has caused me to be like 'yup, that was it'.

After this week, I'll have more time behind the wheel to see how it feels. And knowing that I can add the LCA's without wrecking everything else makes me feel better. I'm just tired of spending so much time on this and wondering if it's just me or if that's how Jeep's are.

Jtphoto

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I'll probably do it but I want to get some miles in after my alignment. It was too windy over the weekend to see really how it feels. I also lowered my PSI to 35 but the TPMS is reading 37, so I'm playing the game of which gauge is right.

After they aligned it, my initial reaction is that it feels better but it wasn't totally fixed. I feel like all these little things add up where they are slowly improving but it's not a single thing that has caused me to be like 'yup, that was it'.

After this week, I'll have more time behind the wheel to see how it feels. And knowing that I can add the LCA's without wrecking everything else makes me feel better. I'm just tired of spending so much time on this and wondering if it's just me or if that's how Jeep's are.
Ignore the TPMS and drop your tires to 28psi. Believe me, just try it. You will be surprised how nice it will handle.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

What tire gauge are you using, I've found my TPMS seems pretty close within 1 psi w/ my gauge. I use a Jaco like this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010A6B6KG
Jeep Wrangler JL Mopar LCA swap 1680020864025
Sponsored