Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartmanā€™s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is ā€œbothā€ an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R || 2021 Hellayella Rubicon JLU
Just as another poster has said. These Bronco's do not have 35" tires.

Wildtrack and First Edition with Sasquatch have 35"

Badlands (which I believe all 3 are) have 33"

One of these is a Badlands w/Sasquatch which make it have 35" ...and I assume that to be the second Bronco up.

The other trims, below Badlands I believe all come with 32" tires.

All trim levels can opt for Sasquatch, giving all trims factory 35" tires as well as 4.7 gears (don't ask me about this as I'm not too familiar how all this gearing works -- others are much more knowledgable here).

Sasquatch, results in bigger tires but crawl ratio is not as good as Badlands with manual (at least that's how I understand it)...
Sponsored

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Look again...They are NOT in the same spot...at least a tire width or 2 over.

The reason the 2 door had wheel slip was b/c of wheelbase.
Ya, I looked...there's a little "speed bump" at the bottom of the hill. All 3 vehicles hit that speed bump on the way up...at least that's what I see.

Honestly, I didn't even notice it was 2 door lol. Well that alone is an accomplishment since the extended wheelbase should help.

Jeeperob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel like no matter what the Bronco accomplishes there are some users who will still dismiss it. And that's fine, but point is it's still doing things that nobody here expected.

BAKNBLK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JT diesel
As a ex EB owner that did the Rubicon back in 2003 and 2004 with it easily this is just sad. Yes mine was modded but Ford could have put at least 44's under this SUV, sorry will not call it a Bronco.

I've done the Con in 2 different JKU's many times and few times in a LJ. Ford better step up its game with a complete suspension redo to solid axles if they want to compete in the rocks. For simple trails and playing in the Desert the currant version will work.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 168590048uRDNZl_fs

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
As a ex EB owner that did the Rubicon back in 2003 and 2004 with it easily this is just sad. Yes mine was modded but Ford could have put at least 44's under this SUV, sorry will not call it a Bronco.

I've done the Con in 2 different JKU's many times and few times in a LJ. Ford better step up its game with a complete suspension redo to solid axles if they want to compete in the rocks. For simple trails and playing in the Desert the currant version will work.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 168590048uRDNZl_fs
Awesome picture, I had a 71' I bought in the early 90's until 05' when I got an offer I couldn't refuse, THAT was a Bronco, this new one kinda sort looks a little like the early Bronco and that is it.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
I feel like no matter what the Bronco accomplishes there are some users who will still dismiss it. And that's fine, but point is it's still doing things that nobody here expected.
I feel like some users are too quick to announce the new 'king' of off-road, especially since nobody owns one yet. Just because the Bronco is the JL's rival doesn't mean that it is automatically better than the JL.

Personally I think the Bronco looks great, and I'm happy that the Wrangler will actually have some competition again. The IFS isn't necessarily a downside for everybody, but I did buy a Jeep specifically because I wanted a solid axle in the front & rear.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Hey Sean, I kinda disagree. From what I'm seeing by the tire marks on the rock face they are practically driving in the same spot...give or take a few inches.

Now one thing I did notice is when the first bronco went up there was wheel slip and he kept at it whereas the Jeep guy, soon as there was a little slip he let off...and then lost some momentum and had to reverse.

The second Bronco sailed up with no problem.

I think what we take from this and all the videos is the same; the Bronco is a contender, regardless of the fact that a lot of users on this forum were explicitly calling it a mall crawler, pavement princess, and only a off-road truck for the "highway". It's just time to accept the fact that there will be a heard of Broncos among the Wranglers next year on the trails :)

**not sure about a heard, cause I'm sure many will be hesitant to take their shiny new Bronco on the trails, but there will be a few horses out there lol
I donā€™t know who is calling it a mall crawler. Other than some good-natured ribbing i havenā€™t really seen that. I think most are speculating that a comparably-equipped Wrangler would do better in the rocks but thatā€™s not the same thing as dismissing the Bronco.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Except it's really not a fair comparison since the Jeep is a foot or more over to the driver side in the deeper part of the "bowl" on the face of the rock he's climbing compared to the 4 door Bronco.

This was a line selection issue. Not sure one can make any conclusion based on that, especially considering this:

https://driving.ca/ford/features/feature-story/how-the-numbers-stack-up-between-the-2021-ford-bronco-and-jeep-wrangler#:~:text=Wrangler Rubicon's approach angle is,degrees on the 35-inchers.&text=Bronco's four-door is 20,departure angle is 29.7 degrees.

https://www.auffenbergcdjr.com/2020-jeep-wrangler-configurations/#:~:text=No matter which Jeep Wrangler,ground clearance of 10.9 inches!

First link claims the breakover for the 4 door Bronco with the "largest tire option" is 26.3Āŗ and the second claims the breakover on a JLUR is 27.3Āŗ.

Not sure where the first article comes up with the Rubicon Unlimited only being 22.6Āŗ since the 2nd link is from a Jeep dealer and looks to be taken from Jeep's official website.

***ETA*** CAVEAT: These were literally the first two Google'd articles I found on the subject of breakover for both vehicles though........and with Bronco not even being in production, not sure how reliable the alleged numbers are.
I've climbed that very hill, I'm 90% sure. The Jeep also stopped while the 4 door Bronco didn't completely stop, giving it a slight bit of momentum. On that slick rock, it doesn't take much.

You can find any obstacle on which one will struggle and the other won't. Still, put me in that Jeep and let's see what it does. Better yet, put one of the professional guides in it. I'll bet it walks right up that hill. I know mine did. I was aired down to 15psi, too, which helps immensely on the slick rock.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure they were on 33's.....at least a couple of them were.

To be fair, the Rubicons also have bumperettes that come off (and that's where a lot of the cosmetic damage on the Broncos was concentrated)....no idea how Jeep equipped the models it sent down the trail though.
Yep. Saw that. But one did have 35's.

I think they are going to be close enough that it comes down to driver or 2 door vs. 4 door on specific obstacles. Should be fun to see them (and needle them) on the trails!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
So is the 22.6Āŗ reliable info.? I'm questioning it since the 27.3Āŗ looked like it came direct from Jeep's website.
That sounds more like the 2-door Rubicon. I've never found the official numbers, but I do know that there is some variation in ride height depending on options selected, so these are probably all +/- 0.5Āŗ.
tneqwa7erhco6liljdkr.png

Sponsored

me109stock

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed Manual; 2008 Ford F450; 2003 Porsche Boxster S
Vehicle Showcase
As far as calling a Bronco a Jeep, when I was in high school my mom called my Scout II a Jeep, I just couldn't get her to get it.

Speaking of the Scout II, that Bronco looks more like it's successor than it does the original Bronco, which was a copy of the Scout 80. Then there's the whole Commando thing, which was Jeeps answer to the Scout and Bronco. What comes around goes around.
My first thought looking at the new Bronco was Nice front - looks like my old 66. The rear looks like my friends International Scout II. As much as I loved my 66 Bronco, I'm sticking with my JL.

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
That's impressive; it's certainly not the way most auto dealers near me operate.

I still remember them charging $10K over MSRP for ordinary PT Cruisers.

Not surprising when you consider I can name two Jeep dealers near me that will flat out laugh at you if you expect a low price deal from them.
Nick is awesome, if youā€™re looking for any Ford. Go through him!

bbq4133

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Granite Crystal 6MT
I think what we take from this and all the videos is the same; the Bronco is a contender, regardless of the fact that a lot of users on this forum were explicitly calling it a mall crawler, pavement princess, and only a off-road truck for the "highway". It's just time to accept the fact that there will be a heard of Broncos among the Wranglers next year on the trails :)

**not sure about a heard, cause I'm sure many will be hesitant to take their shiny new Bronco on the trails, but there will be a few horses out there lol
If we're being completely honest, the vast majority of all Jeeps and Broncos sold will be mall crawlers. However, I'm a little surprised at a lot of the comments in that thread re: scratches, mud, off roading, etc., because I figured the die hard enthusiasts (aka the folks who demonstrate significant early interest) would be the off roading types. That mistake is on me lol.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Just watched the videos of the Bronco on the Rubicon Trail......it was impressive......for an independent front suspension suv.
Judging it solely on the video...... Iā€™d say that comparing the Jeep to the Bronco is like comparing apples to cucumbers. They are very different. Jeep hasnā€™t had any serious competition in its lifetime......and the Bronco will not be a serious competitor to it either. Bronco will take a slice of sales to those who buy SUVā€™s to ā€œMall Crawlā€......just like Jeep. But it is highly unlikely that serious off roaders will be using a Bronco. Jeep is still the King in that area. As for itā€™s aesthetic appeal.........I was disappointed. For a NEW vehicle....and a FLAG SHIP to the Ford brand...it didnā€™t have that WOW! factor I expected it to have. It preformed and looked like any number of other SUVā€™s out there. What a let down. Letā€™s hope they can dress it up, put some lipstick on it and give it some curb appeal. The way it is now....it looks like a cross between a Jeep and a Hyundai.
Sponsored