Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 694 61.1%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 232 20.4%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 108 9.5%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 102 9.0%

• Total voters

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
I'm going to get flamed for this, I'm sure, since this is a Jeep forum. So I'll just unfollow now.
You will, yea, but it's not because you said anything irrational. The reality of how this is gonna play out is that both vehicles will be good choices for different people. You'll always have the extreme people on either side whether you're talking cars, politics, or refrigerators. The internet gives a bigger megaphone to those people, so the challenge for the rest of us is keeping to the rational middle ground amidst the amplified noise.

Or don't go on forums like this one. But hey, it has certainly become another form of entertainment lol

Advertisement

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
I've found that it's impossible to have a rational discussion on pros and cons about competing vehicles on any forum (I'm on b6g as well and it's really the same situation over there). Every other response will be some variant of "Yuck! Mine is better because, um, it's mine!"...

The Bronco will be a fantastic rig. And frankly, it'll be more than capable enough to do the kind of rock-crawling 99% of Jeep owners actually partake in. The reverse is also true: the Jeep will suffice in 99% of "fast-in-the-sand" stuff that the Bronco is all about. That extra 1%-of-the-time capability will be used by so few owners that it's rather silly to fixate on, like 0-60 times or top speed figures on sports cars. Bragging rights that'll have zero impact on your actual use-case.

I owned a 2018 JLUR. I have a 4xe on order and sitting in storage in Toledo. I also have a day 1 Bronco reservation with a fast-approaching order conversion cutoff (still on the fence and was really hoping to see my 4xe first). AND I have a Bronco Sport Badlands on order for the lady. Brand loyalty is childish and dumb. Ditch the endowment effect, don't let a brand define you, buy what you want and enjoy it. Importantly, live and let live. Not everybody's looking for the same things in a vehicle as you are; no need to hate on somebody's choice because it isn't the one you would make.

I'm going to get flamed for this, I'm sure, since this is a Jeep forum. So I'll just unfollow now.
I think you make some valid and good points.

And, variety is the spice of life.

Another and. No one who thinks, could possibly flame your post.

Cheers, buddy!

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Good points made. I really love both vehicles. Had wanted a Jeep way back, before I got my JK, and was always intrigued by the 1st generation Broncos.

I'm a fan of a lot of 4WD vehicles, but these two fit the category I like the most.

The funny thing is, when folks on 6G would post side by side pictures of two door Jeeps next to Broncos. Most would comment on how much better the Bronco looked, but I personally was still liking the look of some of the Jeeps a little better. They just looked more rugged, and I like that.

In fairness, the Jeeps weren't completely stock, and I really love the retro look of the Bronco a lot. I just got impatient, got a really good deal on my trade in, and found the 2 door JL that I always wanted (configured just like I would have ordered it). I also felt like I had some unfinished business with Jeep since getting rid of my 2 Dr. JK.

I still may jump on a Bronco later down the road, when it's more available and all the aftermarket stuff is caught up. It will be awhile.

DigitalDiem

First Name
Capn
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
No, it's factual, count the slots, 9 instead of 7.
Yep The Jeep was originally designed and prototype submitted by Bantam Motors but the Government decided Bantam didn't have the Capacity to ramp up and build the needed vehicles. They split the manufacturing between Ford and American Motors, Bantam got the Military trailer as a consolation prize. But the Original GP was designed by Bantam Motors.

4xFUN

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2-door Rubi. 2019 Ram Longhorn 4x4
I spent some time on the Ford Bronco build site and have to say there are some very nice touches on the new Bronco...It's cool you can get 35's from the factory, the larger mirrors which are mounted a bit more forward and attached to the body are great, the optional 12" touchscreen is nice, the moulded-in roof color is a good idea and who would not like the 10speed auto with 4.7 gears? I think the Bronco will appeal to people looking for a daily driver with better than average off road chops. I do not think it will appeal to those who desire to run 37's or greater nor those who appreciate the virtually endless array of aftermarket upgrades/options offered to the Jeep community. Nor will it appeal to the true hard-core off roader-Jeep owns that market and I do not see that changing anytime soon...

What I do expect is on the JL's midlife refresh (2023?) Jeep will up it's game (even more than from JK to JL) when it comes to creature comforts & interior refinements and likely a few positive mechanical enhancements!

As for me, I am perfectly happy with my Rubi 2-door and will be 100% finished with my build in the next few weeks...Now waiting on Reid Racing knuckles for my new Dana Ultimate 44 w/4.88's, also still waiting on one more JL Audio amp, Borla's Touring Cat Back for the 2-doors and of course the upcoming 37x12.50 load range C BFG KO2's! (gotta go bigger than Bronco's 35's...)

It would take a lot more than Bronco has to offer to make me switch!!

rallydefault

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
What I do expect is on the JL's midlife refresh (2023?) Jeep will up it's game
That's what I'm waiting for. More specifically, I'm waiting to see how further electrification/hybridity is gonna play out from both Bronco and Jeep. I'm kind of at the point where I think at least a hybrid is the way to go for a car purchase in a few years, but just gotta see it all play out.

I've actually been wanting to test drive a 2-door Defender (base trim obviously whatever they call it - I'm not made of money lol) just to see what that is like. I don't know if they've made the 2 doors yet.

Or maybe my next vehicle will just be a Corolla, who knows lol

nvabill

First Name
Bill
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara, C-182 Skylane
Yep The Jeep was originally designed and prototype submitted by Bantam Motors but the Government decided Bantam didn't have the Capacity to ramp up and build the needed vehicles. They split the manufacturing between Ford and American Motors, Bantam got the Military trailer as a consolation prize. But the Original GP was designed by Bantam Motors.
Good info, thanks.

WRGLR-JL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Each time I drive pass the local Ford dealership I see a couple of what I suspect are the entry level Broncos sitting out front. I got to say they look like every other small/mid-size SUV on the road except for the grille. I'll stick with my Jeep Wrangler, no matter what model of Wrangler you get it's unmistakably a Wrangler. Just my 2 cents.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Each time I drive pass the local Ford dealership I see a couple of what I suspect are the entry level Broncos sitting out front. I got to say they look like every other small/mid-size SUV on the road except for the grille. I'll stick with my Jeep Wrangler, no matter what model of Wrangler you get it's unmistakably a Wrangler. Just my 2 cents.

Those would be the Bronco Sports. Not the same as the Bronco. No dealership has the new Broncos yet that I'm aware of.

WRGLR-JL

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
Vehicle Showcase
Those would be the Bronco Sports. Not the same as the Bronco. No dealership has the new Broncos yet that I'm aware of.
Thanks. Good thing for Ford. If these are the same Bronco line this thread is referring too it would be a short lived revival for Ford!! Can't see them as a mass market contender over the long haul which would be needed for Ford to maintain production of the higher end models that would steal Wrangler owners away.

Cappy

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
My wife decided to get the Bronco Sport when her lease is up in the fall. I really like the look of the full size Bronco and if it was available it would have been in the running.

I think Ford will do very well with it. I know my Ford Stock is finally moving up after 10+ years.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
The Bronco Sport is nice, for what it is, which appears to be a competitor to the likes of the Cherokee. Here's a look at my JL next to a Bronco Sport.

broncovsjeep.jpg

ThirtyOne

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 2017 Chevy Tahoe, 2005 Jeep Liberty
I think the Sport is really good for what it is. But i think the branding is a big mistake. It’s gonna cheapen the brand. And it’s confusing. But after the Mach-e it’s not surprising.

treoguy

First Name
Chris
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
I think the Sport is really good for what it is. But i think the branding is a big mistake. It’s gonna cheapen the brand. And it’s confusing. But after the Mach-e it’s not surprising.
Completely agree. If it came after the actual Bronco, it would make more sense. For now, these are the Bronco to consumers and these aren't in the same class as a Wrangler. Unless you're an enthusiast or have a Bronco pre-order, that's likely your world view on the Bronco brand.

Advertisement

Hothead Headliners

Advertisement