Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Why are they driving through that giant hole when there is a perfectly good road right next to it?
It's obvious that the driver didn't watch the mini movie bronco reveal. Otherwise, he would've know that it is perfectly capable of taking the bypasses. ;)

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
I can’t stand the idea of comparing a bronco to a wrangler. Besides the similarity between grilles and other minor features they are in no way the same. Some ill informed people may confuse the two but it will not impact Wrangler sales only renegade and other small suv sales. Broncos are for city driving and I have no doubt the wranglers off road capabilities are far superior to the bronco. Of course a Jeep is not as comfortable or as packed with features as a bronco it’s about off-road capability and the history of it. Does Ford add eater eggs that serve as a small reminder of where it came from? To my knowledge I do not believe so. Is every aspect of a bronco as easily changed as a Jeep’s? A Jeep is a Jeep and that’s that.
You are in for a rude awakening.
I wasn’t talking about rock crawling at all and I agree rock crawling is not off-roading. I honestly don’t know much about Broncos but I know my Jeep and a family friend got a brand new bronco and it’s terrible off-road. Mine is a base model sport and it performs better in many off-road conditions than a bronco. I mean a bronco is like they wanted a small suv that looked tough (because of the features drawn from the Jeep) but seems to be made for city driving. The different models are just confusing to me unlike the clear features of the different wrangler models. This article explains this all very well https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-ford-bronco-model-you-need-to-avoid/. Besides it’s suspect off-road capability the bronco is just ugly to me especially with the uh top? roof? Idk what to call it, off. I understand my thoughts are not shared by some or many but it’s just my opinion.
That’s not the Bronco.
The Bronco has been to the Rubicon and Moab and will do 90-95 percent of what a Jeep Rubicon will do oem/oem on 35.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I'm not so sure that they are, at least in an off road comparison. Cherokees equipped with Active Drive II have a 2.92:1 low range, the trailhawk has "active drive lock" which is this low range with a rear locker. As far as I know (to be fair I haven't paid close attention, I suspect they'll sell lots of these but they're not for me) the Bronco Sport is not available with a low range or a true locker in any trim. They have that rear diff that is supposed to be really good. I might be old fashioned, but I still prefer a "real" selectable locker. (I've found auto lockers to be a bit unpredictable, running the spectrum from really good which would be QDII before they neutered it, to a G80 which was almost scary).

To me it seems that the Bronco Sport Badlands sits somewhere between a Renegade Trailhawk and a Cherokee/Compass Trailhawk, in terms of offroad gear and (I suspect) performance. They're going to sell millions, Ford has a hit on their hands, and it'll be great for most people (probably even most users here), but not having a low range really hamstrings the Bronco Sport.
To me if the rear wheels lock they lock. I'm not sure the Cherokee's locker is any better than the Bronco Sport Badlands'. But if the Ford doesn't have an actual low range then it does diminish its capability compared to the Cherokee, so you're right to compare it more to the Compass and Renegade.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
To me if the rear wheels lock they lock.
I should have been more clear. Its the lack of me being able to push a button and know it's locked that bothers me. I may be wrong on this but I believe in the Cherokee TH you can push a button to lock the rear or unlock (only in certain modes, but still... you can choose when it engages or disengages). Where I do not think you can do this in the Bronco[EDIT: Bronco Sport, damnit why did they name it that, so tough], instead relying on the computer to lock it and unlock it (again probably only in certain modes). It could be great, apparently it worked really well on the Focus. But my experience with automatic lockers has been that they are unpredictable which I really don't like when in off road situations. I like pushing the button, knowing that it's locked and it is going to remain locked until I change my mind.

To be fair though I face similar issues with automatic transmissions, so I may just be a bit nutty about these things. I liked knowing that the wheels will always turn not "well maybe, depends on the torque converter". The JL's automatic has been great for me so far (as long as I remember to put it in manual before giving it the beans on a hill), but in my mind it's a very similar "issue" to the automatic locker.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
@Headbarcode
lol you have an obsession with that gif, my friend. I'm staging an intervention.
I'm compelled to post it every time I read something along the line of "it's fine, its not like I'll be rock crawling". Lol

Now this one, on the other hand.... no pun intended. ;)
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread bhhxuudhh

I've got Notorious to thank, for planting this seed. :like:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I should have been more clear. Its the lack of me being able to push a button and know it's locked that bothers me. I may be wrong on this but I believe in the Cherokee TH you can push a button to lock the rear or unlock (only in certain modes, but still... you can choose when it engages or disengages). Where I do not think you can do this in the Bronco[EDIT: Bronco Sport, damnit why did they name it that, so tough], instead relying on the computer to lock it and unlock it (again probably only in certain modes). It could be great, apparently it worked really well on the Focus. But my experience with automatic lockers has been that they are unpredictable which I really don't like when in off road situations. I like pushing the button, knowing that it's locked and it is going to remain locked until I change my mind.

To be fair though I face similar issues with automatic transmissions, so I may just be a bit nutty about these things. I liked knowing that the wheels will always turn not "well maybe, depends on the torque converter". The JL's automatic has been great for me so far (as long as I remember to put it in manual before giving it the beans on a hill), but in my mind it's a very similar "issue" to the automatic locker.
Looks like they both have a control to set the locker rather than just relying on whatever "mode" you select. Its more than I can do on my Sahara, lol. But the low range on the Cherokee would give it an advantage over the Bronco Sport at least. In the end I think there's only so much you can do to a Front Drive biased Crossover to improve off road capability. Hands down a Wrangler would go places neither of these vehicles would go.

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 1616002607143

Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 1616002858847

Rcarpen22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘67 CJ5, ‘20 JLU
I have a Bronco reservation, but I am liking the wife’s JL so much that I may end up getting another Jeep. Hers is a JLU with the 8-speed auto. Anything I get for me will be 2-door and a manual trans. I was wheeling with a group this past weekend and the Jeeps (JLU/JKU) all crushed everything. There were some Toyotas and one lifted FJ Cruiser on 33s struggled in a few places and had to use rear locker where all the Jeeps did fine with just traction control/LSD. I was pretty impressed. Actually, I was really impressed. I love the JLU.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Just watched a 4-door base Bronco walkaround on Youtube. I would definitely go 2-door for a Bronco, but even the 4-door looks sharp. Can't understate how jealous I am that the doors are effectively half doors from the factory. If I could have just one darn thing for my jeep, that would be it lol

Sponsored

qnet

First Name
Quentin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 2 DR Jeep Wrangler Sport JL, 18 BMW M2
Just watched a 4-door base Bronco walkaround on Youtube. I would definitely go 2-door for a Bronco, but even the 4-door looks sharp. Can't understate how jealous I am that the doors are effectively half doors from the factory. If I could have just one darn thing for my jeep, that would be it lol
Agreed, I know the 4 door is more practical but I'd definitely get the 2 door.

I still really like the 2 dr. Bronco, but since this is a Jeep forum; I will say one big advantage a 2 door Wrangler has over the 2 door Bronco is the ability to remove the back seats.

That was one big issue on the 6G forums for some future 2 door Bronco owners.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
Agreed, I know the 4 door is more practical but I'd definitely get the 2 door.

I still really like the 2 dr. Bronco, but since this is a Jeep forum; I will say one big advantage a 2 door Wrangler has over the 2 door Bronco is the ability to remove the back seats.

That was one big issue on the 6G forums for some future 2 door Bronco owners.
Yea, for sure. The 2-door Bronco should be slightly more livable for most people than a 2-door jeep (a hair more storage space, I believe), but storage will ultimately suffer a lot without those removable seats. There are gonna be a lot of people trading in 2-door Broncos after a year or so lol

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bronco 2 door rear seats not removable ? What, are they welded in ? To the Jeep Mind, ANYTHING is removable, modifiable, replaceable...
It has a plastic knob in place of a t-case lever, and a jigsaw puzzle roof as though it was clad in lead. Not to mention, most of the bronco clamor is for the factory to supply a full build. Cutting and grinding?
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread v by uuh

All in jest.... sorta.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
I would hold off judgement till you sit in the Bronco. It appears to have a really tall belt line which may end up creating a claustrophobic feeling compared to the jeep. I get the sense from looking at it that visibility will be poor.
Sponsored