Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 742 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
The actual Bronco isn't selling yet, so your family friend probably got misled and bought a Bronco 'Sport', which for the most part is just a Ford Ranger.
That's my guess as well and why i don't think Ford should have used the Bronco name on it. People will get confused.
Sponsored

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
better fit and finish lol

wranglers were never meant to be connoisseur vehicles. they were meant from the very beginning to be utility vehicles.

Land Rover > any of these. But you are gonna pay. the base models start at 50k
You could also get a mercedes or bmw suv if you want "fit and finish"

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
but I know my Jeep and a family friend got a brand new bronco
They got a Bronco Sport, not a Bronco.

Or they are a time traveler freshly returned from 2022.

You could also get a mercedes or bmw suv if you want "fit and finish"
These comments never cease to give me a chuckle. It's like, "Oh hey you want a nice vehicle? You gotta buy a BMW. Otherwise, stop complaining." The middle ground really doesn't exist anymore, does it? lol

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
This is so far from the truth it's a little unsettling people actually believe this..
I love Jeeps and all, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here..

Not sure if you wrote that in jest, but a common misconception:

Rock-Crawlings ≠ Off-Roading

Not sure if you meant rock-crawling here, if yes, the Broncos will definetly impact Wrangler sales, because there is something like 0.01% of the Wrangler owners actually rock-crawl.

1% of all Wrangler owners actually off-road.

99% of Wrangler owners, mall-crawl. (and has never taken their Jeep out of 2H)

P.S. This forum accounts for the niche 1% of actual Wrangler owners, and the poll already showing 20% here would "consider" jumping ship.
You do make some very good and points. However, another usual misconception in these bronco threads is that the amount of articulation will only be tested in rock crawling. But its not. A rutted dirt path and a typical new York street will test it just the same.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 20201023_102215

Also, the full size bronco is built on the ranger platform. The sport is of the escape platform.

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
In my opinion, the new Bronco is the result of Ford answering the call of Jeep owners that are less willing to make on road compromises for the sake of off road capability. Jeep has given the wrangler more creature comforts and a better overall ride, but refrains from any changes that will lessen its core abilities. I credit Ford for choosing to fill a gap, rather than go full on toe to toe with the Wrangler.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
You do make some very good and points. However, another usual misconception in these bronco threads is that the amount of articulation will only be tested in rock crawling. But its not. A rutted dirt path and a typical new York street will test it just the same.
Jeep Wrangler JL Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread 20201023_102215

Also, the full size bronco is built on the ranger platform. The sport is of the escape platform.
Thank you for the correction, I thought the sport shouldn’t be body on frame..

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you for the correction, I thought the sport shouldn’t be body on frame..
Yeah that Bronco Sport is based on the Escape, but with more of an off road oriented setup. Nothing hardcore but I bet the Badlands and a Cherokee Trailhawk would be comparable.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yeah that Bronco Sport is based on the Escape, but with more of an off road oriented setup. Nothing hardcore but I bet the Badlands and a Cherokee Trailhawk would be comparable.

Well, to give him credit, he *eventually* made it out..

Sponsored

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Yeah, that was kinda painful to watch and boring at the same time. Although, it did pull me to the edge of my seat when that guy's expensive shades slid into the tub.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase

heh, probably would have done better with the 35s... but since that's not a Bronco Sport I'm not sure why it's relevant to what I said, lol.

MrMischief

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
I bet the Badlands and a Cherokee Trailhawk would be comparable.
I'm not so sure that they are, at least in an off road comparison. Cherokees equipped with Active Drive II have a 2.92:1 low range, the trailhawk has "active drive lock" which is this low range with a rear locker. As far as I know (to be fair I haven't paid close attention, I suspect they'll sell lots of these but they're not for me) the Bronco Sport is not available with a low range or a true locker in any trim. They have that rear diff that is supposed to be really good. I might be old fashioned, but I still prefer a "real" selectable locker. (I've found auto lockers to be a bit unpredictable, running the spectrum from really good which would be QDII before they neutered it, to a G80 which was almost scary).

To me it seems that the Bronco Sport Badlands sits somewhere between a Renegade Trailhawk and a Cherokee/Compass Trailhawk, in terms of offroad gear and (I suspect) performance. They're going to sell millions, Ford has a hit on their hands, and it'll be great for most people (probably even most users here), but not having a low range really hamstrings the Bronco Sport.
Sponsored