Sponsored

Bronco vs Jeep Wrangler mega thread

With the Bronco launch, what team are you in?

• I will stay with team Jeep

Votes: 743 61.7%
  • I may jump to Team Ford

Votes: 239 19.9%
  • I am staying out of this one for now. (in Eric Cartman’s voice): Screw you guys, I am going home.

Votes: 113 9.4%
  • Is “both” an option because I am loaded and can afford both?

Votes: 109 9.1%

• Total voters

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Build em up for the actual obstacles, boys. Because the bypasses are gonna be traffic jams.
Sponsored

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
The problem with that is Jeep is not calling the Renegade a Wrangler Renegade. Everyone knows they are two separate models. Ford naming both Broncos confuses people and may potentially hurt the Bronco brand in the long run. The poster you quoted isn't the first to think that he's looking at the real Bronco and he won't be the last.
Why would you ? The Renegade doesn't carry the Wrangler brand on it. The Bronco (Sport or not) is branded as a Bronco. Your comparison is same as me saying I don't want an apple because I hate the way an orange looks.
Whether it was a mistake or not is yet to be determined. I think Ford out the sport under the bronco name to sell more sports never dreaming it could hurt sales of the Bronco.

Personally I feel both Jeep and Ford have too many small SUV’s.

One thing is for sure like the JL there will be no comparison once Bronco capability is seen, it will blow away the sport. As the JL destroys the Compass and Renegade off road.

WRGLR-JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willy's 2 door
Vehicle Showcase
Whether it was a mistake or not is yet to be determined. I think Ford out the sport under the bronco name to sell more sports never dreaming it could hurt sales of the Bronco.

Personally I feel both Jeep and Ford have too many small SUV’s.

One thing is for sure like the JL there will be no comparison once Bronco capability is seen, it will blow away the sport. As the JL destroys the Compass and Renegade off road.
I agree that NO manufacturer would consciously brand an entry level product with the same brand as a high end product in hopes sales are hurt. But as long as they put the Bronco brand on the sport then comparisons like mine will be made. I understand the need for mass market support to make a brand viable but I would also expect its entry level version to look much the same as the higher end version. I think this may be where Ford is making a mistake. In making the Sport like most any other small to mid-sized SUV the competition for sales is higher and harder to sustain and that in the long run will hurt the Bronco overall. Only time will tell if the revival is long or short lived. But I think Bronco's survival will be more tied to the Bronco Sport than the capabilities of the full size Bronco. It's about profit at the end of the day for the manufacturer. The comparison of Compass and Renegade's off road ability is not valid as they are not sold under the Wrangler brand.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
i think Ford will sell more Bronco Sports than Broncos.

Baconator

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Wrangler
Regarding the Bronco Sport, I was unaware it was going to exist and for about a week after seeing one, I thought poorly of the "New Bronco". I consider myself fairly well informed, but I'm certainly no die hard, and I had no idea.

Frankly, it's a cool little crossover/SUB and it's highly preferable to the Escape, BUT it was released first and is now "THE NEW BRONCO" in the minds of many. There's no way to quantify, but I imagine there were at least a few people who said "eh, not what I was expecting at all. I'm gonna pull the trigger on the JL".

I hope the Bronco is ultra-successful! Then maybe other companies will put their hat in the 4x4 convertible truck game. A new FJ, Xterra, etc. would be nice, if just for the differentiation.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
I saw a Bronco Sport " Badlands " trim at my Jeep dealer , (they also sell Ford'). The suggested MSRP was under $29,000, it had nice features I don't care for rotary dial transfer cases, and solenoid parking brakes, but who cares. This will sell like crazy, 1.5 3 cylinder Turbo, mid to high 20s mpg. Price point is a huge plus.
I'm Wrangler through and through, but the small Bronco is going to dent Cherokee, Renegade sales

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I saw a Bronco Sport " Badlands " trim at my Jeep dealer , they also sell Ford's. The suggested MSRP was under $29,000, it had nice features. I don't care for rotary dial transfer cases, and solenoid parking brakes, but who cares. This will sell like crazy, 1.5 3 cylinder Turbo, mid to high 20s mpg. Price point is a huge plus.
I'm Wrangler through and through, but the small Bronco is going to dent Cherokee, Renegade sales
That badlands has a 2.0 4 banger. I'm sure the 1.5 will do all right as a daily driver, but sometimes I think you can go too small. It's kind of like the 2.7 liter in the F-150, not much oomph until the turbos spool up and then the truck will run away from you if you're not careful, lol.

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
Ford is not looking just at Jeep with Bronco naming and marketing. The Bronco and Bronco Sport along with follow on Bronco model names is no difference from what LandRover has done with the RangeRover, RangeRover Sport, RangeRover Evoke, Discovery and Discovery Sport. All FIVE are totally different vehicles.

I am surprised the new LandRover Defender was not named RangeRover Defender. But that would have made it too expensive in the minds of the buying public.

Like LandRover with the RangRover name, Ford wants the Bronco name to have a certain credible value. Unfortunately with the supply issues cause by COVID closers the “full size” Bronco that was supposed to come out first and solidify the names value was delayed and the Bronco Sport was not. One of those “best laid plans of mice and men” kinda things.

Having had the opportunity to drive one of the new “full size” Broncos not long ago and compare it to my 2020 JLUR, well I must say my mind has changed about the Bronco.

duc135

First Name
Duc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Having had the opportunity to drive one of the new “full size” Broncos not long ago and compare it to my 2020 JLUR, well I must say my mind has changed about the Bronco.
In what way? Are you saying the Bronco is not as good as you originally thought or that the Bronco is better than you originally thought?

Fsttanks

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU / 2014 JK / 2020 JLUR
In what way? Are you saying the Bronco is not as good as you originally thought or that the Bronco is better than you originally thought?
My opinion has changed for the better towards the Bronco. Everything from fit and finish to ride and handling on / off road was noticeably better then my “loaded” 2020 3.6 auto JLUR. (Both my JLUR and Bronco I drove have/had 35” tires, but I don’t know what engine option it had. I assume it had the larger of the two offered).

I am long time Jeep Wrangler owner having owned 7 (1 CJ, 3 TJ, 2 JK/U, 1 JLUR) since the late 80s. I am now on the fence as to staying with Jeep or picking up a Bronco in a year or so. IMO Jeep needs to up the quality game, drop the arrogant dealer attitudes towards selling Wranglers and start acting like they have competition that their average customer can afford, because frankly they soon will have serious competition.

Sponsored

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
I can’t stand the idea of comparing a bronco to a wrangler. Besides the similarity between grilles and other minor features they are in no way the same. Some ill informed people may confuse the two but it will not impact Wrangler sales only renegade and other small suv sales. Broncos are for city driving and I have no doubt the wranglers off road capabilities are far superior to the bronco. Of course a Jeep is not as comfortable or as packed with features as a bronco it’s about off-road capability and the history of it. Does Ford add eater eggs that serve as a small reminder of where it came from? To my knowledge I do not believe so. Is every aspect of a bronco as easily changed as a Jeep’s? A Jeep is a Jeep and that’s that.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I can’t stand the idea of comparing a bronco to a wrangler. Besides the similarity between grilles and other minor features they are in no way the same. Some ill informed people may confuse the two but it will not impact Wrangler sales only renegade and other small suv sales. Broncos are for city driving and I have no doubt the wranglers off road capabilities are far superior to the bronco. Of course a Jeep is not as comfortable or as packed with features as a bronco it’s about off-road capability and the history of it. Does Ford add eater eggs that serve as a small reminder of where it came from? To my knowledge I do not believe so. Is every aspect of a bronco as easily changed as a Jeep’s? A Jeep is a Jeep and that’s that.
This is so far from the truth it's a little unsettling people actually believe this..
I love Jeeps and all, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here..

Not sure if you wrote that in jest, but a common misconception:

Rock-Crawlings ≠ Off-Roading

Not sure if you meant rock-crawling here, if yes, the Broncos will definetly impact Wrangler sales, because there is something like 0.01% of the Wrangler owners actually rock-crawl.

1% of all Wrangler owners actually off-road.

99% of Wrangler owners, mall-crawl. (and has never taken their Jeep out of 2H)

P.S. This forum accounts for the niche 1% of actual Wrangler owners, and the poll already showing 20% here would "consider" jumping ship.

Last edited:

rockclimber

First Name
Tara
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport Unlimited
Occupation
Purchasing Assistant
Vehicle Showcase
This is so far from the truth it's a little unsettling people actually believe this..
I love Jeeps and all, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here..

Not sure if you wrote that in jest, but a common misconception:

Rock Crawlings ≠ Off-roading
I wasn’t talking about rock crawling at all and I agree rock crawling is not off-roading. I honestly don’t know much about Broncos but I know my Jeep and a family friend got a brand new bronco and it’s terrible off-road. Mine is a base model sport and it performs better in many off-road conditions than a bronco. I mean a bronco is like they wanted a small suv that looked tough (because of the features drawn from the Jeep) but seems to be made for city driving. The different models are just confusing to me unlike the clear features of the different wrangler models. This article explains this all very well https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-ford-bronco-model-you-need-to-avoid/. Besides it’s suspect off-road capability the bronco is just ugly to me especially with the uh top? roof? Idk what to call it, off. I understand my thoughts are not shared by some or many but it’s just my opinion.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I wasn’t talking about rock crawling at all and I agree rock crawling is not off-roading. I honestly don’t know much about Broncos but I know my Jeep and a family friend got a brand new bronco and it’s terrible off-road. Mine is a base model sport and it performs better in many off-road conditions than a bronco. I mean a bronco is like they wanted a small suv that looked tough (because of the features drawn from the Jeep) but seems to be made for city driving. The different models are just confusing to me unlike the clear features of the different wrangler models. This article explains this all very well https://www.motorbiscuit.com/the-ford-bronco-model-you-need-to-avoid/. Besides it’s suspect off-road capability the bronco is just ugly to me especially with the uh top? roof? Idk what to call it, off. I understand my thoughts are not shared by some or many but it’s just my opinion.
The actual Bronco isn't selling yet, so your family friend probably got misled and bought a Bronco 'Sport', which for the most part is just a Ford Escape.

I suggest you look at some of the previews of the actual Bronco.

(It is every way different from how you described them, and a real Jeep competitor.)

Last edited:

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Dude... If you actually took Scotty Kilmer seriously you wouldn't even be driving a Jeep...
Sponsored