Auto or stick?

BuyHold

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Dr Rubi, '23 JTM
IMO, there is absolutely NO reason to drive a stick in 2022. Todays autos are solid and perform very very well. (Unless, of course, you just have to "clutch and slam" because you like it.)

G.
Yeah, why doesn't everyone just buy a Prius? They have the lowest operating cost per mile of any vehicle on the market. And no manual transmission option because there are no reasons to drive one of those anymore.

EDIT: Sorry if this comes across at all snarky. The point is that there are a whole host of things that people buy and/or do simply out of enjoyment and that make zero sense given state of technology today. Why go to sporting event or concert live when you can watch on TV or buy a recording? Why even buy a car with a transmission when you can buy an transmission-less electric vehicle that will blow ANY ICE-powered vehicle out of the water when it comes to acceleration? It is 2022, right?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ!
Remember, all good things come in time..;)

THE 8 SPEED AUTO, IS JUST AWESOME..:)

JL Wrangler Forum, is a Family friendly Forum, including Members with a wealth of Wrangler knowledge. Please join into the conversation, as we share this Wrangler knowledge, with one another. We hope that you have a pleasurable experience, as a new member.

Jeep Wrangler JL Auto or stick? {filename}

Chadillac

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 6-speed
2-doors and 3 pedals is the way to go, IMO.

1) The JL manual with 4.88 gears is sooo good!

2) Unfortunately manual transmissions are going extinct. Get them while you can!

3) Can push start your Jeep

4) Manual transmissions are just more fun.

Willing&Able

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 392 20th Anniversary
Clubs

Lifelong manual driver. MT (clutch and MC specifically) are just trash. I've replaced w Center Force clutch (three versions) and still trash. I'm looking at 392 partly for this reason....

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
The ZF 8 Speed Auto is one of the best transmissions ever produced. Can't go wrong.

With that said I was between 2 Jeeps when ordering a 2 door Rubicon or a 4 door Willys Xtreme Recon.

If I went 2 door Rubicon I was going to get it with the 6 Speed manual and 4.88 gears. Just something about a 2 door and a manual. Maybe because it's small? I don't know it just seemed right. Kinda like an off road sports car.

In the end I went with the Willys Xtreme Recon 2.0T and Automatic. Happy I did. This thing is sick. Didn't really feel like rowing gears again and an automatic is in reality better for off roading. Plus I really needed the 4 doors.

In the end it's personal preference really. What flavor do you want?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Traveller128

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys 2 Door 6 speed
Occupation
Volvo Master Technician
Truth be told, my 2 door Rubicon will rarely be off pavement. Flame away, but fact. I do my dirt on 2 wheels. Mall crawler I fear. It will be my eighth Jeep,all manuals except the 392.. Sold the 392 as it was just too big for my needs. No family, just giving my ass a ride. Guess, as I post this, I realize both would work for this purpose. Appreciate the responses.
If you're just going to drive it on pavement mostly, then get the auto for traffic. Stick won't be as much fun in bumper to bumper. If we were living more urban, we'd have cried about getting an auto, but we'd have gotten an auto. Ours is offroad most weekends.

If you like rowing the gears, the manual needs the B&M shifter. Makes it feel more precise, shorter throws, just generally more fun to use.

We do dirt on 2 wheels also, in a couple flavors. Big 1200 adventure bike two up for gravel roading and pavement, then dirt bikes for more serious trails.

Did several neat trails at Moab last year on the Beta 2 stroke.

Oh yeah, we own a 2 door Stick WIllys. Had to change to 4.10 gears for 33" tires. Stock 3.45 gearing is stupid tall, makes the transmission feel like the ratios are odd. With the 4.10 setup, everything is right where it's supposed to be. For 35's I'd have gone 4.56. The auto compensates for axle gear ratios better than the manual does.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
Auto 2.0T. Love mine. 10/10 would order again.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If the automatic had the same number of gears as the manual, I would be 100% for the manual (even more if it was available with the 2.0).

I want my Jeep with the most gearing options possible, so the automatic was an easy choice for me. Plus I can always manually shift the transfer case...

Maverickxeo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, 2002 TJ Sport
I really wish I had gotten a manual some days (just more fun, even in heavy traffic), but the auto is SUCH a good transmission - that it was hard to pass up. I still have my 5 speed TJ if I really feel the need to shift, though.

Sponsored

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Truth be told, my 2 door Rubicon will rarely be off pavement. Flame away, but fact. I do my dirt on 2 wheels. Mall crawler I fear. It will be my eighth Jeep,all manuals except the 392.. Sold the 392 as it was just too big for my needs. No family, just giving my ass a ride. Guess, as I post this, I realize both would work for this purpose. Appreciate the responses.
Go with the stick. There are those who drive auto's and those who prefer stick. If you're the latter, go with the stick. It's great. You'll read a lot of banter about the clutch and some of the unfortunate problems it had early on, but as a happy '21 owner with no problems what so ever with the Unlimited (re-geared to 4.88's/35's) - couldn't be happier, especially with the 4.88's. In the 2-door it'll be even more fun.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If only Jeep offered a CVT. Theoretically infinite gears... Right?
Theoretically, but I haven't seen a CVT in a car that I like yet. I think about 10 gears would be just about right, to where a CVT wouldn't add any additional efficiency.

The one CVT I own has a centrifugal clutch. If I go down a hill I'll get engine braking until I go slow enough... then the clutch will disengage and it will freewheel and start picking up speed.... Probably not a good design for rock crawling.

There are those who drive auto's and those who prefer stick.
I can't tell if you're referring to two types of people or describing one kind of person. I drive an auto and prefer a stick.

JL MADDOG

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL 2.0L Turbo
Occupation
Jeepin'
I didn't like the long, mushy take-up of the clutch in the current Wrangler JL. The shifter throw from gear to gear seemed vague as well.

I drove a V6 manual, a V6 auto and a 2.2L T with an auto when out shopping for my Willys. I decided on the 8-spd auto with the manual shift feature. It's a lot of fun and a LOT easier to use on the trail.
Sponsored