2WD/4WD nomenclature on stick

ferrellmc

First Name
Ferrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
On the 2WD/4WD stick the nomenclature seems odd. There is “4H AUTO” which is AWD and "4H PART TIME.” In case one it tells me what the car does - goes in and out of 4WD automatically on an as needed basis. But in case two it tells me what I do… that is, it suggests that I use it part of the time, not what the car does (locks the 4 wheels together). What if I’m a sheep herder and I live on a farm and I leave it in "4H part time" all the time.

Maybe it should be consistent and say what the car does without assuming how often I use it. Maybe something like "4H Lock”
Sponsored

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
The part-time thing is a throwback to the ZJ/XJ Selec-trac days. They should have gone all the way and called 4H Auto ‘Full-time’... but it was true full time 4x4 back then, now it’s just on demand like some crazy quadra-trac/selec-trac hybrid so maybe Auto is a better description.

The late ‘90s were a golden age!

I’m going to start a new movement, bring back the 4.0 I6 and 5.2 V8 for the JL!!! 5.9 Limited Sahara special edition for the final 2028 model year, and yes it gets functional hood vents. It’ll do alright with the 8 speed and quadra-trac. We’ll also need a CD/cassette player integrated into the uConnect 8.4 for the full experience while we listen to Alanis Morissette and Semisonic on our Infinity Gold sound system with the top down and the V8 rumbling. :rock: Don’t forget the gold painted rims.

Now where was I??? Oh I agree with above: yes
Sponsored