Auto Climate Control - Hi or Lo and nothing else

JMatt

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
I've been searching here and googling and still can't figure this out. My JLUR has been basically in storage for 6 months. Just got home, hooked the batteries back up, and now I have two issues:

1) auto climate control only has two temperature positions "Hi" and "Lo." If you try to move the sliders to any temp, it just pops right to "Hi" or "Lo" again.

2) Maybe related, but the u-connect screen will only show driver seat heat, but not passenger. But I can hit the physical button and the heated passenger seat does work.

What I've tried so far: checked fuses, made sure all fuses were firmly installed, factory reset, took off hvac control panel and physically unplugged, then plugged back in.

Nothing changes. "Hi" or "Lo" only. What known issue have I missed?

Advertisement

OP
JMatt

JMatt

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Seriously? Has no one heard of this before? I can't be the only one.....can I?

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Could it be a battery issue? Weird things happen with the electronics when those batteries aren't up to snuff.

jludave

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
What known issue have I missed?
Probably not an issue. Since you had to reconnect the battery after such a long time, the radio needs to re-learn what the vehicle actually has in it. It needs some time to actually sleep and learn, now that the battery is connected. Let the vehicle sit for up to 48 hours and things should return to normal.

OP
JMatt

JMatt

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR, JLUR
Probably not an issue. Since you had to reconnect the battery after such a long time, the radio needs to re-learn what the vehicle actually has in it. It needs some time to actually sleep and learn, now that the battery is connected. Let the vehicle sit for up to 48 hours and things should return to normal.
Wow. I didn't know that was a thing. I'll hold my breath another day or so. Thanks for the tip!

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Modern vehicles, jl included, have a significant computer network on board. When you disconnect the battery the different modules lose all their stored information about each other. Leave the batteries connected and come back out in an hour or so. Or just start driving around, it takes a little while but as all the module start talking to each other again, they all learn your vehicle's options and the UConnect screen displays the right features for your jeep. All features will come back automatically.
I had the same issue when I disconnected my PCM. The other modules got all pissed off that they lost communications with the pcm. Next morning I got up, fired up the jeep and everything was back to normal. I've seen it many times on many different vehicles.

mackh4x0r

First Name
Thomas
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
My JK's Sway Bar connector got water in it and caused my jeep to not start because it was connected to the CANBUS.... modern vehicles 🙄

Although, I'd think it would be able to re-learn everything in just a few minutes. I'm not sure about your issue....

However, I do recommend in the future using a battery maintainer. It'll keep a deep charge on your battery and keep it like new: https://smile.amazon.com/NOCO-GENIUS1-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B07W46BX31/

I use these on my boat batteries and camper to maintain a healthy battery.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Red JLUR
Don’t worry at all. Same exact thing happened to me after I disconnected my battery and then reconnected it. Everything will come back within hours. This happens to every single JL if the battery is disconnected.

eball

First Name
Emily
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport
I've been searching here and googling and still can't figure this out. My JLUR has been basically in storage for 6 months. Just got home, hooked the batteries back up, and now I have two issues:

1) auto climate control only has two temperature positions "Hi" and "Lo." If you try to move the sliders to any temp, it just pops right to "Hi" or "Lo" again.

2) Maybe related, but the u-connect screen will only show driver seat heat, but not passenger. But I can hit the physical button and the heated passenger seat does work.

What I've tried so far: checked fuses, made sure all fuses were firmly installed, factory reset, took off hvac control panel and physically unplugged, then plugged back in.

Nothing changes. "Hi" or "Lo" only. What known issue have I missed?

I have had a similar problem for a while. I have Hi and LOW working well but NO adjusting temperature in between. My ac is ON and set at 64 but it's blowing an inferno heat wave. I can push the button to increase temperature but it stays exactly the same temperature (by feeling the vent) If I push the down arrow down down down down until I get to LOW it will blow freezing cold air. It does not decrease in temp unless I go all the way to LOW. I took it to the dealer twice, they told me NO problems exist. I was bothered by that. BUT Then I went again and they said it was a trap like door that needed to be changed out. A door that opens and closes as temperature increases/decreases.I waited 1 day for the part to arrive, but 2 weeks for them to install said part. My temperature controls worked properly for ONE whole day and now it's back to Inferno heat or freezing cold. NOTHING in between. My Jeep started this 4 months ago at about 4k miles.

Advertisement

Bestop

Advertisement