First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Can't help but wonder if some structural rigidity was lost with the brace removal.
More than cross cross or front to back, Iā€™d think side impact rigidity mostly considering the central position.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I recall this also.

FYI: the MORE steel engine skid plate appears to delete this crossmember also.
Some guy on here installed it over the skid.

This same guy was the one running around with geometry brackets in the front with a metal-cloak game changer lift, and no front UCA heat shields.

So in other words "don't do as he does" may apply.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Rubicon JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque & Moto Guzzi Griso
Some guy on here installed it over the skid.

This same guy was the one running around with geometry brackets in the front with a metal-cloak game changer lift, and no front UCA heat shields.

So in other words "don't do as he does" may apply.
I saw that. Looks like youā€™d really hang up on it if you were needing to ā€œskidā€. Wasnā€™t a big fan of that strategy.

Sponsored

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rustys is powder coated steel, the powder coat is pretty tough too.
The rock hard looks like a good system. It sounds like their front skid mounts to the same points the Rustys does. I have Rustys, and without a lift I was getting a lot of contact between the front driveshaft and the support bracket, just in daily driving. After swapping to Rubicon suspension I didnā€™t get contact in daily driving, but did get some on the trail. At this point, I have the driver side bracket removed, and the front skid stays solid enough.
One comment. . . Rusty is only sending their skid plates out raw right now. Due to being behind on orders. (I just called them.). Getting them powder coated adds ~$160 + significant time.

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So in my quest to find the perfect Skid plate system, reached out to Asfir. (They are super responsive btw). Answers to my questions that I thought might be helpful to all (I'm shopping for a 2019 JLU 2.0t w/ eTorque)

1) We do not sell a "package" ā€“ all plates are purchased as single items.

2) You do not need to remove the factory gas tank skid to install

3) The plates themselves are 6 mm thick and the total ground clearance lost would be around 9-10 mm

4) You do need to remove the frame cross member to install ā€“ the following are links to a few videos showing the assembly process of the different plates:

HOWEVER PLEASE NOTE: We have not actually assembled our plates on the 2.0 eTorque model (only 2.0 standard and 3.6 eTorque) and as such cannot confirm 100% that they would fit without the need for modification. We do assume that the standard 2.0 engine plates will be suitable, but as we ourselves have never checked this, we cannot take responsibility for the fit if you do order them.

For the 2019 2.0L standard engine the following are the plates:
547455 ā€“ Steering Rod
547459 ā€“ Engine/Gear
547465 ā€“ Transfer
547470 ā€“ Fuel Tank
547480 ā€“ Exhaust

Please note that due to dimension restrictions the fuel tank plate (long length) cannot be sent via the regular freight system and as such cannot be ordered via the website so if you do decide to order this particular item you would need to send me your exact address (including area code) after which I could check what the freight charge would be and advise. You would then need to send me a request via mail and send payment via PayPal, after which I would be able to process the order. All the other items can and need to be ordered via the website.

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
I'd leave the crossmember off. If it was better protection adding it back on you'd think both manufacturers would have said to but it back on. I'd think it would risk more damage to the skid as if you hit the crossmember you're more likely to hit and bend the skid as well. No crossmember leaves the sides open and there isn't anything that can be damaged really.

rkwfxd

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR, 2020 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Tundra, 1990 964
Occupation
Unemployed
FWIW. I was shopping skids and wanted aluminum. Looked at Asfir and MORE and I think Rustys and Rock Hard. Kind of got down to MORE or Asfir. Asked my wife and she firm on buy American even though it was twice as much. So, filled a cart with Asfir and it was over $900 with shipping.

Filled a cart with MORE and it turned out they had a 20% off sale AND free shipping so just over $1100 for Oil/Trans and T-Case and Gas Tank skids.

I liked them a bit better anyway.

I ordered in plain natural aluminum so the scratches dont stand out quite so much.

Sponsored

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
FYI: M.O.R.E.'s 2.0 engine skid plate is not compatible with the 2-door.

Rusty's doesn't claim 2-door compatibility either, probably has the same issues as the M.O.R.E.. I'd like to go with something that's steel, but this really just leaves Metalcloak's $1,539 skid (which is way too much IMO), Rockhard's $1,890 belly pan (LOL), or DV8's $400 belly pan... Did I miss any?

I also learned that the 2-door's gas tank skid mounts to the crossmember that gets usually gets removed on 2-door skid systems. Below is a 4-door, but the 2-door's gas tank skid bolts to the hole circled below:
Jeep Wrangler JL 2.0 Engine Skid Plates 2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Capability-Protection.jpg.image.2880

Whaler27

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL, 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Altitude Ecodiesel, 2005 Mustang GT, 2018 Ford Raptor, 2018 BMW R1200GSA, 2020 Honda Monkeybikes (2), 1972 Honda CT-70, 1980 Honda CT-70,
Occupation
Saving the world :-)
Hereā€™s a vote for Artec. Theyā€™re a work of art, super tough and durable, and almost affordable if you get the 20% discount on Black Friday, (which is what my brother and I did last year).

Artec aluminum skid

MarkyMark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I ended up going with Next Venture full set of aluminum skids. I havenā€™t had time to install them yet and will update after I do. However coming out of the box they look pretty!

Canvasback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 JLUR
So, after researching aluminum options I selected the Asfir. They arrived this week and within 2 weeks of ordering. Wow!
i will be installing them this weekend and will post up.

Instaurare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2.0 turbo
So, after researching aluminum options I selected the Asfir. They arrived this week and within 2 weeks of ordering. Wow!
i will be installing them this weekend and will post up.
I installed the Asfir on my 2 door, fairly easy install, improved ground clearance, the only concern I had was having to delete the crossbar. So far, have not noticed any adverse effects, but can't help but wonder if the structural rigidity may have been compromised.
Sponsored