Mounting ARB Air Compressor

Yella21

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Subscribed for 48V system harness from oceanblue2019.
-Brian
Sponsored

Punknhed

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punkin Rubi XR
someone in another thread mentioned running the big wires along the inside of the door frame, up the front side, and then tuck them between the windshield weather stripping under the cowl and notch the piece of foam and into the engine bay and to the battery. this seems almost to easy but it seems like it would work with the least amount of effort ? anyone have thoughts on why this wouldn't work ??

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
someone in another thread mentioned running the big wires along the inside of the door frame, up the front side, and then tuck them between the windshield weather stripping under the cowl and notch the piece of foam and into the engine bay and to the battery. this seems almost to easy but it seems like it would work with the least amount of effort ? anyone have thoughts on why this wouldn't work ??
When I was running a 12V setup I had a thick wire coming through the firewall nipple grommet on the passenger side. Worked well. PITA to get to it but worth the efforts to do it right and do it once.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
When I was running a 12V setup I had a thick wire coming through the firewall nipple grommet on the passenger side. Worked well. PITA to get to it but worth the efforts to do it right and do it once.
What wire size did you do with your 48V system? Is there special 48V rated automotive wire?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What wire size did you do with your 48V system? Is there special 48V rated automotive wire?
When running 12V via firewall I was using a 6 gauge power feed from battery to under the seat, but then this was split to the two compressors via the 10 gauge harness and metri 5 pos plug that came with the ARB kit.

Now with 48V I run 8 gauge from 48V battery "y split" harness I built to a small fused bus bar located in cargo compartment. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Systems...&keywords=blue+sea+mrbf&qid=1603799734&sr=8-3

From that fused bus I run 10 gauge to compressors (under pass seat), and 10 gauge to the fridge invertor (in the cargo compartment close to bus bar)

Last edited:

Sponsored

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 JLUXR
Iā€™m hoping the under hood mount will work with the Genesis kit. My only issue with the under the seat is having the door open to air up the tires. Iā€™m sure I could run an air line from inside the cab to the outside but... I want to be lazy
I have not tested it with the Genesis setup, but will be willing to work with someone that has it to see how fitment works. I made the following comparison photos using the photo from the Genesis site and my JT.

I have everything now, just waiting on the heat shield to arrive so I can apply it to the base mount. I will be working on install instructions, hardware packs, etc. this week and weekend. I should have them on the website next week. I can't add the website URL since I am only able to advertise on the Gladiator forum at the moment. 813fabrication is my site.

COMPARE-1.jpg

COMPARE-2.jpg

COMPARE-3.jpg

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I have not tested it with the Genesis setup, but will be willing to work with someone that has it to see how fitment works. I made the following comparison photos using the photo from the Genesis site and my JT.

I have everything now, just waiting on the heat shield to arrive so I can apply it to the base mount. I will be working on install instructions, hardware packs, etc. this week and weekend. I should have them on the website next week. I can't add the website URL since I am only able to advertise on the Gladiator forum at the moment. 813fabrication is my site.

Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor COMPARE-3

To each his own but this really is a terrible place to mount it for longevity and performance reasons.

A compressor needs cool intake air, be kept cool as compressor creates heat, and clean and dry. This location doesn't provide the first two.

Even the fender well mount is a better location as hot air rises, so even with heat shielding on the bottom of the above mounting plate the compressor is sitting in high temp engine bay heat.

813 Fabrication & Design

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2022 JLUXR
To each his own but this really is a terrible place to mount it for longevity and performance reasons.

A compressor needs cool intake air, be kept cool as compressor creates heat, and clean and dry. This location doesn't provide the first two.

Even the fender well mount is a better location as hot air rises, so even with heat shielding on the bottom of the above mounting plate the compressor is sitting in high temp engine bay heat.
I don't disagree that it will be exposed to heat. As you say, it depends on how someone wants to set up their system. I will be offering a couple different plates for moving the filter/air intakes to a different location to feed a little cooler air. Given the lower mounts that go behind the wheel are sitting directly beside the CAT, I believe those are getting more heat. Enough heat actually that I have seen people remove the compressor due to fittings and wires melting. Most everything in that location is covered with heat shield. Not to mention they are at risk of water and mud damage. I had a customer buy one of our behind the seat mounts because his ARB twin was killed behind the wheel. Every location on the JL/JT will have pros and cons, it just depends on how someone wants to use it and what they want with their setup. This is why I have a mount for almost every location needed for the JT. Bed, in-cab, MOLLE panel, under-seat, behind-seat and under the hood.

Attached is a pic of the customers ARB from behind the wheel. Many have asked for another solution for above the engine. It won't be for everyone but many have ran them like that for years on the JKs.

toast.jpg

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Just installed my single ARB compressor last night. Used the Aventure Lab rear tub mount and added the battery for s**** and giggles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor 7CBC1AA1-D080-4BB2-BF67-9FB8944BA740

Sponsored

sourdough

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I had a twin under the power brake booster and it leaked at the unit. Happened during 2019 EJS and there were ARB techs on hand. Not only was it next impossible to get to, the ARB techs told me, "under the hood mounting is not recommended". Yep, too much heat. When I got home I switched to M.O.R.E.'s behind the driver location. No issue for a year and a half and I have used the hell out of it filling 37's.
my earlier post# 105

Last edited:

Dfideth

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6 Sarge
Occupation
Crane Tech
Looks Nice
I fell I rushed the install, i was more concerned with the Mopar aux switch install to operate the compressor and didn't take my time with wire management. I will fix it latter.
Jeep Wrangler JL Mounting ARB Air Compressor Mopar Aux Switches

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Could the compressor be flipped 180Ā° on the 813 mount? I like it, and as you said, JKs have been using a similar location for years. Those intake extensions seem super long though. Those concern me more than the mount location. If the compressor was spun around, the extensions wouldnā€™t be necessary.
Sponsored