First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
The sun rose and set again and just as I had predicted, I never received a call from the service manager.

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Hi, Folx! :)

I pick up my Jeep tomorrow and I’m hoping it’s all good. Will let you know. BUT I have one question. I also had them do an oil change and tire rotation as well as the alignment that’s required by the new TSB (originally they said the alignment wasn’t necessary). The service rep said the only thing that wasn’t covered by Jeep Wave, by warranty or by the TSB was my request that the tires be balanced. Why wouldn’t balancing the tires be a standard part of either a tire rotation or of an alignment - especially when the Jeep is there for steering issues and unbalanced tires can contribute to whacky steering? Any thoughts? Wanna provide me with an argument that I can use to convince them to balance the tires without charging me for it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

jlgolfcart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini JLRU

I pick up my Jeep tomorrow and I’m hoping it’s all good. Will let you know. BUT I have one question. I also had them do an oil change and tire rotation as well as the alignment that’s required by the new TSB (originally they said the alignment wasn’t necessary). The service rep said the only thing that wasn’t covered by Jeep Wave, by warranty or by the TSB was my request that the tires be balanced. Why wouldn’t balancing the tires be a standard part of either a tire rotation or of an alignment - especially when the Jeep is there for steering issues and unbalanced tires can contribute to whacky steering? Any thoughts? Wanna provide me with an argument that I can use to convince them to balance the tires without charging me for it?

The tires were balanced when you bought it correct? When they rotate them they are still balance is my understanding.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
The tires were balanced when you bought it correct? When they rotate them they are still balance is my understanding.
Correct rotation should not affect balance and the alignment is done from the factory and my understanding is if you have an alignment issue after you pick your Jeep up the dealer should do 1 free. Now that’s what my service department told me when I asked so not saying that is the way it is everywhere.

Sponsored

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So I had my steering issue looked after today. I picked the Jeep up and right away I felt the difference in how it drove. The steering is tighter more direct and the Jeep tracks perfect. Now in saying that I hope that I am not imagining this so I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how it behaves and report back but for now all seems good.

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU

Sorry - let me clarify - I'm picking my 2018 JLU up tomorrow after it has the new TSB for wandering steering performed. That TSB includes an alignment as part of the services listed. I also had them do an oil change and tire rotation. I wanted them to balance the tires as well, which I thought would be done when the tires are rotated but apparently not. So I was hoping someone here could provide me with an argument to use with the dealer for why they should do the balance as a part of the steering full monty and not charge me for it. Thanks. ~Wendy

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sorry - let me clarify - I'm picking my 2018 JLU up tomorrow after it has the new TSB for wandering steering performed. That TSB includes an alignment as part of the services listed. I also had them do an oil change and tire rotation. I wanted them to balance the tires as well, which I thought would be done when the tires are rotated but apparently not. So I was hoping someone here could provide me with an argument to use with the dealer for why they should do the balance as a part of the steering full monty and not charge me for it. Thanks. ~Wendy
Hopefully your's gets repaired correctly. It'll be interesting to see how your dealership handles this since mine failed at every point of the repair.
Tire balancing during a tire rotation is not typically done. It may be for high performance cars or high end luxury cars, but definitely not vehicles like Jeeps. However, I would not say it's money wasted for some vehicles because of the type of tires on it. But it's not covered under any tire rotation service charge I've ever seen.
In my opinion, a dealership cannot be trusted to do a simple tire rotation. I mark my wheel positions before a free jeep wave oil change and tire rotation. Get my Jeep back. Tires and wheels have not changed position.
If you do decide to get the dealership to balance the tires, better mark those weights and see if they are still exactly the same when it comes back. I am willing to bet money the weights are not touched.

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
So I had my steering issue looked after today. I picked the Jeep up and right away I felt the difference in how it drove. The steering is tighter more direct and the Jeep tracks perfect. Now in saying that I hope that I am not imagining this so I will be taking it for a ride tomorrow to see how it behaves and report back but for now all seems good.
Well just went for a nice drive 150 miles to visit a buddy and had lunch. The Jeep felt great steering no wandering what so ever and the steering wheel feels like it should tight and responsive. So for now everything seem fine just happy right now.

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Picked mine up this morning after having TSB 08-003-21 performed. The steering box was replaced with a cast iron version and new bolts installed. They said they did the alignment and reprogram called for in the TSB, but I can only take their word for it as they did not note it on the ticket. They ticket includes parts for the steering box, bolts, and fluid. Seems to drive straight, but I haven't driven much. I noticed the wandering most on interstate and twisty country roads when it was hot. It is definitely no worse than it was before. I'll do some testing this weekend and see how it drives.

Sponsored

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Picked mine up this morning after having TSB 08-003-21 performed. The steering box was replaced with a cast iron version and new bolts installed. They said they did the alignment and reprogram called for in the TSB, but I can only take their word for it as they did not note it on the ticket. They ticket includes parts for the steering box, bolts, and fluid. Seems to drive straight, but I haven't driven much. I noticed the wandering most on interstate and twisty country roads when it was hot. It is definitely no worse than it was before. I'll do some testing this weekend and see how it drives.
Sounds great I actually drove the highway and all was good they did all what TSB said so feeling good. I am sure yours will be the same good luck and enjoy the ride.

shoregrrrl

First Name
Wendy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Happy to report that, although I did pay $80 plus labor for the tire balancing, I finally have the Jeep that I should have had in 2018 when I first bought it. My Jeep is fixed! I mean really, truly FIXED! No more wandering steering! No more two inch dead spot in the center! No more driving right to go straight! No more odometer reading 999999 at startup! No more mismatched speedometer readouts! No more not being able to turn off the turn signal! No more satellite radio reading "No connection contact dealer." WoooHooo!!!!! 🥳🎉🥳 It’s been a long couple of years but if all remains well then I might actually keep the Jeep when my lease ends. 🙌🏽👍🏽👏🏽🤞🏽 Thanks be to World Jeep in Shrewsbury NJ!

Haberrj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
Happy to report that, although I did pay $80 plus labor for the tire balancing, I finally have the Jeep that I should have had in 2018 when I first bought it. My Jeep is fixed! I mean really, truly FIXED! No more wandering steering! No more two inch dead spot in the center! No more driving right to go straight! No more odometer reading 999999 at startup! No more mismatched speedometer readouts! No more not being able to turn off the turn signal! No more satellite radio reading "No connection contact dealer." WoooHooo!!!!! 🥳🎉🥳 It’s been a long couple of years but if all remains well then I might actually keep the Jeep when my lease ends. 🙌🏽👍🏽👏🏽🤞🏽 Thanks be to World Jeep in Shrewsbury NJ!
This is great news so happy to hear it all went well for you now all that is left is for you to enjoy the ride. đź‘Ť

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Good to see that your's was done correctly and this newest TSB is confirmed to include a cast iron steering box!

OP
OP
Carolina Jeeper

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice to see some successful repairs on this TSB! But I'll admit that I'm a bit jealous though.
Sponsored