Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I know we have had a poll on here about peoples perspective of wheeling alone, with or without a winch and so on. I am generally interested how many people are running a winch on their front bumper, how many haven't used it, and how many aren't planning to run one.

This is a no judgement poll, I am just purely interested. I know this poll has a bit of bias based on where you live/wheel, so we will just over look that part for now!
I’ve owned several different brands over the years, the best was Warn. This time I decided to try the Quad stealth when they first came out, It did not disappoint. This thing is a great bang for your buck. We’ve got over a dozen recoveries on it, and it hasn’t missed a beat.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 69B5AD74-D70D-4CB5-BE55-0BA73B917ADF

Mostly kids in the woods in moms minivan or dads 2wd truck buried to the axle in the sugar sand. Also a couple Jeeps stuck in the mud holes. Newbies to the area that don’t know which mud holes to go around and which ones you can drive through.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 1734EDAA-09CF-44B4-828F-7066BDAB5B6C

I put it to the test with this guy, he was stuck in the mud so bad , it was like a suction cup. He thought he could push the mud out of this obstacle.....:facepalm:..... we got him out, but I had to have another Rubi pulling me with tow strap to keep me from sliding in there with him, lol. The winch slowed down a little but never stopped or overheated, just kept pulling. I was amazed how well it performed. I would definitely recommend this winch, especially if your on a budget.

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 3CB66BCB-3059-42B0-AF36-53EC8FF14246

Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 9ADEB3AA-E171-47E8-81E2-9CCAF12910B9
Jeep Wrangler JL Winch Winch Winch 11480469-6DD4-4767-B8C9-4C8DEBB89472
Sponsored

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
I’ve owned several different brands over the years, the best was Warn. This time I decided to try the Quad stealth when they first came out, It did not disappoint. This thing is a great bang for your buck. We’ve got over a dozen recoveries on it, and it hasn’t missed a beat.

Mostly kids in the woods in moms minivan or dads 2wd truck buried to the axle in the sugar sand. Also a couple Jeeps stuck in the mud holes. Newbies to the area that don’t know which mud holes to go around and which ones you can drive through.

I put it to the test with this guy, he was stuck in the mud so bad , it was like a suction cup. He thought he could push the mud out of this obstacle.....:facepalm:..... we got him out, but I had to have another Rubi pulling me with tow strap to keep me from sliding in there with him, lol. The winch slowed down a little but never stopped or overheated, just kept pulling. I was amazed how well it performed. I would definitely recommend this winch, especially if your on a budget.

I bet with a little more effort he coulda got that hood under all that mud....lol. Good job!

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer
I ended up getting warn zeon 10s based on recommendations about which one is the best and I didn't want to skimp on what I thought could be a safety equipment. I've used it when I could have easily use a tow strap and also now mainly take it and tension it back in to keep it in good working order. I'm glad I have it. But if I had to do it over ... I would seriously have a harder time.

kimmonia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2018 Ford Explorer

Love these kind of stories! Thanks for sharing

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
I'm not too familiar with their slew of different models, but apparently one of them is strictly wireless and warn will keep sending out new batteries and controllers, but they all end up prematurely failing and rendering the winch a very pricy paperweight.
In the instructions it mentions plugging into DC to charge/power up the remote. Perhaps I need to call to clarify.

I’d like to know that if the batteries go south, as in not holding a charge well, that I could limp along and get power while plugged into a hot USB port.

Sponsored

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Thanks. I searched and posted over there for updates.
I’m pretty damn annoyed I have to worry about this for the moment. I guess I’ll remove the battery in between long periods of storage to TRY to save it.
Sorry you've got to deal with that, hopefully Warn comes up with something so you guys don't have to worry about it anymore.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR

4th
4th pic is WTF! you really go into that quagmire? Did you wake up with a death wish? I know when not to slap the grizzly bear.

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have owned Warn, Engo and Smittybilt. The Smittybuilt X2O is probably the best bang for the buck going. The X2O stayed dry when the Warn gearbox was soaked. The Engo was what I would call an economy winch.

Sponsored

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
Chicken or the egg.

That question isn't easy to answer. There are many benefits to both.

If it makes any difference... I run rope for the weight reduction and no stored energy in the line should it break.
[/QUOTEI]

Rope is better if you plan on using the winch in the winter too (I notice the person that posted this is from NH)

MattLaurence

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport
The first thing I did to my jeep was add a stubby bumper and a Quadratec Q Series Stealth winch. And ever since then, I've been using the winch every time I can!
-Out on the farm and there's a big tree down? Hang on. I'll grab the jeep and pull it this way or that so we can get to it easier with the saw
-See someone off the highway in a ditch? Hang on, I'll pull you out!
-Wheeling alone? I'll just winch onto that tree there and swing through this mud hole like a monkey in the jungle

I feel like since it was expensive, I use it every chance I get to get my value out of it...

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
This works over a very short distance when nothing else is available, but trust me, if you use this tool/technique just once to winch over anything more than a few feet, especially on any kind of on-trail grade, your very next purchase will be a winch. Of course, if you do use this, you won't need that gym membership!
Hi-Lift jack<Lower Back Pain

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have been and was a WARN guy, but had an old unit on my TJ and got wet from rain and had to put in a new motor. Not happy, note to self of all the years I have it WARN, I used it 3 times. My neighbor in the dench, daughter in the embankment and removing a big tree.

So I just got two types of recovery straps. Yes, I been eyeing up the Quadratec Q-Performance Stealth Winch 10,000 lbs with Synthetic Rope as I have a JLR. But by the time I get all the parts and install will be over $850. I like the two options for remote as purchase the WARN wireless remote for my old winch with removable standard batteries. I like the synthetic rope and most of all waterproof sitting outside in the rain.

So after saying all this. If we get a good first snow in western NC this year I will get a Quadratec... don't hold your breath.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
A winch is just like any other tool, how many tools set in your garage and don't get touched for a number of years and than all of the sudden you need that tool and nothing else will work. A fire extinguisher sets in most vehicles and boats and never gets touched but would you leave home without it? It is an old saying I have used before.

It is better to have it and not need it than it is to need it and not have it.

Brand is a personal choice and there are many good ones out there. When I was young I did not have one on a few of my vehicles simply because feeding my babies was more important but these days the babies are long gone and I would not leave my yard in my jeep without my winch.
Sponsored