entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
Just bought my 1st wrangler and am prepping it for next year. How much of a pulling power of the winch should I get? Is 9500 lbs enough?
a good 9.5k winch should be more than enough, unless you are planning to go big and heavy. You have to consider the weight of the winch too. A lot of people go to 12k winch because they say yeaah biggeeer betteeer. But that's also a lot heavier!. So if your jeep is going to be on the light side, a 9.5k winch will save you some weight and keep you within your weight limits. If you are building a dedicated crawler, going big tires, bigger axles, armor everywhere, etc... then a heavier and stronger winch makes sense.

Advertisement

moonbeam55

First Name
Linda
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
a good 9.5k winch should be more than enough, unless you are planning to go big and heavy. You have to consider the weight of the winch too. A lot of people go to 12k winch because they say yeaah biggeeer betteeer. But that's also a lot heavier!. So if your jeep is going to be on the light side, a 9.5k winch will save you some weight and keep you within your weight limits. If you are building a dedicated crawler, going big tires, bigger axles, armor everywhere, etc... then a heavier and stronger winch makes sense.
Just looking for something not too big. Probably need to swap out the bumber too? I've been stranded in the woods before(with a GMC-horrors! my ex husbands vehicle) Want to be able to some nice trails in NH & Vermont for the time being....

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR - Granite - Tons and 40's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I make flow formed double beadlocks.
I plan to run a winch since it’ll help me drift in my Jeep and pick up chicks :rock:
You'd have better success with a mask that covers up half yer face.

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I think 1.5 times the weight of your rig is a decent guideline, but I also know manufacturers would love you to buy a more expensive winch.
I lean more towards 1.5 being true considering max winch capacity is achieved on the last loop around the drum.

But then I have 40's on my daily driver so....

moonbeam55

First Name
Linda
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sport S
One more question - which is better, steel cable or synthetic rope? I'm sure there ar are pro's & con's for either.....

DOOKEY

First Name
Andy
Reaction score
Website
www.tractionoffroad.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Really???? :-(
Chicken or the egg.

That question isn't easy to answer. There are many benefits to both.

If it makes any difference... I run rope for the weight reduction and no stored energy in the line should it break.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The stealth still has the ability of using the control both wirelessly and wired, which is something that a number of warn owners are currently wishing they had.
Are the Warns broken? I can use mine wired or wireless.

entropy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Data Scientist
One more question - which is better, steel cable or synthetic rope? I'm sure there ar are pro's & con's for either.....
I am on synthetic team. It is the future! :p. Much lighter , safer, more expensive. And you'll need a steel bumper for the winch. If you are buying a rubicon, get the steel bumpers, but you will still need a winch plate.

Advertisement

Morris 4x4 Center

Advertisement