Ill hit 75-80 to pass someone, otherwise its 68-70 on interstate at max

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
I don’t have the inclination to exceed the 99mph limit due to tires (MT’s lower it further) but still dislike limiters on general principles. The XR limiter is ~110mph also due to tires. Tires can and mine Will be upgraded but the lower limit will remain. I have had emergency situations where a short burst of max possible acceleration and speed were necessary. The only limiter should be the vehicles capabilities guided by common sense.

Last edited:

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I don’t have the inclination to exceed the 99mph limit due to tires (MT’s lower it further) but still dislike limiters on general principles. The XR limiter is ~110mph also due to tires. Tires can and mine Will be upgraded but the lower limit will remain. I have had emergency situations where a short burst of max possible acceleration and speed were necessary. The only limiter should be the vehicles capabilities guided by common sense.
I think the Wrangler has a rpm limiter on the motor, not necessarily a speed limiter. That may be why people feel they are 'passing' the limit with changes to gears or tires. MT's have a 99mph rating for what it's worth.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think the Wrangler has a rpm limiter on the motor, not necessarily a speed limiter. That may be why people feel they are 'passing' the limit with changes to gears or tires. MT's have a 99mph rating for what it's worth.
I recall reading MT’s have a 95 mph limit? Nevertheless, my non XR’s limiter is 99, XR ~110 however they achieve it. In the middle of my commute from the foothills to the valley on a curvy 2 lane road is a large lake. RV’s (often clearly overloaded 1/2 ton PU’s), boaters and partiers who Obviously Emptied the Beer ice chest. Add the normal idiots and emergency situations requiring an immediate response were not uncommon. I want every defense possible, including getting away from them as quickly as possible!

Sponsored

toothirtyj

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Hellayella JL Willys, 3.6L/6MT, 4.10's
Occupation
LE
The build sheet (not window sticker) for my '21 Willys has a line that says:

"97 mph Vehicle Max Speed Calibration"

Maybe your window sticker would have a similar line item?

You can use the following website to look up your build sheet. At the end of the address, add your VIN after the "=" sign, then copy and paste into your favorite browser.

https://www.jeep.com/webselfservice/BuildSheetServlet?vin=

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Common sense is in short supply these days. Not sure if it is on backorder or what. I suspect there will be a shortage for a while.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I can't imagine going over 80 or so on the highway unless I'm chasing or being chased by someone. :) Our road trip last summer was the first time I've driven with 80mph speed limits. Took a little getting used to.

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine going over 80 or so on the highway unless I'm chasing or being chased by someone. :) Our road trip last summer was the first time I've driven with 80mph speed limits. Took a little getting used to.
Heh, must be nice, if you’re not going 10-15mph over and keeping up with traffic you risk getting hit by everyone else speeding

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
Heh, must be nice, if you’re not going 10-15mph over and keeping up with traffic you risk getting hit by everyone else speeding
That's definitely true where I live since 70 is the maximum speed limit around.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Common sense is in short supply these days. Not sure if it is on backorder or what. I suspect there will be a shortage for a while.
Common sense is no longer common. I’d say let “Darwin’s law” prevail but they might take others with them. When I upgrade tires my limiter won’t upgrade to XR speed, neither will an XR’s limiter lower if you change to lower rated tires, common sense needed—or make it possible to reprogram the limiter .

stumblinhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392
Common sense is no longer common. I’d say let “Darwin’s law” prevail but they might take others with them. When I upgrade tires my limiter won’t upgrade to XR speed, neither will an XR’s limiter lower if you change to lower rated tires, common sense needed—or make it possible to reprogram the limiter .
Easy to change the limiter. Use a JScan/tazer to tell it you have 20” tires…. Sssshhh, be quiet and it will never know You are goin 135.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
What do a DeLorian and a Wrangler have in common?

Jeep Wrangler JL Top speed. 1ymnx6

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I regularly drive mine 80mph on interstate and have seen 85 mph passing on two lane roads. I am shocked how well my Jeep drives at high speed. It tps out at 97mph…plenty fast…but it smooth even at that speed. My 315 70 17 KO2s are well balanced and surprisingly quiet. A good compromise tire….