Portable Air Compressor ?

Thane

First Name
Thane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURXR, 10 FJ Cruiser
Application is specific to user, assembly required both ways: either hard wire it-not portable. Or put some clips on it-portable.
Sponsored

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AEV JL370 JLURD , AMG GLC43
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I have the ARB twin mounted in the rear storage compartment.
I also made a dual air-up hose to inflate 2 tires at once. I initially made it to inflate all 4 tires at the same time but the hoses took up too much space and would frustrate me when they got tangled.
The compressor, hoses and everything related to airing up or plugging the tires fits in one convenient place.
The whole setup works perfect for my needs.
The four air lines for the Kraken stash away pretty damn compactly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Portable Air Compressor ? PXL_20230330_000126569

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

JINO

First Name
Jino
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jlurd
Looking to purchase a portable air compressor. Not really wanting to debate the benefits of an on board system . I prefer a portable . Looking to buy the best quality I can , Any experience with them good, bad is greatly appreciated.
Lot of good reviews for the viair 440p, so I got one. Works really well, faster than my smittibilt one and less heat.

Sponsored

c20040215

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S; 2023 Honda Civic Sport Touring
Vehicle Showcase
My firewall mounted ARB goes wherever my Jeep goes...seems pretty 'portable' to mešŸ˜Ž
Can't say your statement is incorrect. I, too, think the twin compressor behind the fender set up is sweet. However, there are some scenarios where having a portable is better than a bolt on. Such as having multiple vehicles but only one air source. If I take my car for a trip and I can bring the compressor with all the tire related stuff along in case I have a tire problem.

I really like the Grimm off-road set up, but $800 for airing up tires... I am torn.

Vinman

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
The four air lines for the Kraken stash away pretty damn compactly.
Jeep Wrangler JL Portable Air Compressor ? PXL_20230330_000126569
I wanted all compressor/tire related tools to fit in the rear cubby, no way the 4-way hose setup would fit in there with the rest of my tools.

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
Look for Twin cylinder like an arb for $100 from Napaā€¦Iā€™ve seen so many vair and smitty taking 5min/tire and weā€™re on the road in 5 min. Looks like the ez and maxx are the same one.

Newbalewb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Wrangler X
Look for Twin cylinder like an arb for $100 from Napaā€¦Iā€™ve seen so many vair and smitty taking 5min/tire and weā€™re on the road in 5 min. Looks like the ez and maxx are the same one.
I've had the NAPA one for about a year and used it 15ish times....I was quite surprised how quick it worked!

Sponsored

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
If you already have Milwaukee tools/batteries the M12/M18 ones are pretty great depending on your needs.
I invested in a Milwaukee 5 tool set about 12 years ago and have been fully vested in all things Milwaukee ever since. I have about a dozen batteries of various sizes so might be time to invest in this inflator. Seems like a no brainer if it does a nice job filling up 35" tires.

Ratbert

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I wanted all compressor/tire related tools to fit in the rear cubby, no way the 4-way hose setup would fit in there with the rest of my tools.
You're using the space under the passenger seat for something more critical?

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

Okay Iā€™m biased after moving to ARB twin and the Kraken system last year. I get that for some a truly portable system might make sense for those that have multiple vehicles or other needs for inflation. But that said, do look at the specs. The ARB twin will put out 2.5x the air as the Viair 400 (a quality compressor). Yep, you get what you pay forā€¦ do you need the additional power/faster inflation time? A question that depends on your patience and usage.

Other inflation systems (a couple posted in this thread) ā€¦again look at the specs! Often they donā€™t even list the cfm @PSI or duty cycle and then you read the reviews and they say just as good or better than ARB. Okay... really? You used an ARB and then got a cheapo and itā€™s just as good?

MerPinXEss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜24 4xe JLU
Thank you dragoneggsā€¦the comparison to arb was to say for $100ish instead of getting the smitty or viair or smitty 1cyl at .5 cfm, arb is $600ish for 6cfm. The maxtrax Napa is 300lpm/28.3=10cfm, there are other max psi rating etc that play into how fast/how good they are. $100 maxiTrax, $1000+ arb+mount+4tire hose in wheel wells+++ itā€™s a jeep no limit to things u could addon
Sponsored