Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Been wanting to get a portable air compressor to carry when I air down on the sand I instead of relying on somone else to get air from or to look for the closest place to get air.

Was looking at this one https://www.extremeterrain.com/mean-mother-compressor-8800cu-8717.html and it seems to get decent reviews, don’t want permanent on board air so was thinking this unless there are better options in the same price point
Sponsored

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I picked up a Viair 400p automatic for about $10 more on amazon. I just finished wiring it to my 7-pin trailer plug and tested it out.

Mean Mother's site says it can fill a 205/60 tire in around 2.3 minutes. I'm assuming that means 0-30 PSI. By comparison, my Viair does a 305/65 in 4.3 minutes. Since we're dealing with volume, that's a huge increase in air (225% the volume of the Mean Mother quoted tire, assuming same tire width, which is being generous towards the mean mother). So $10 gets you a quicker fill-up per tire and you don't have to deal with proprietary air connectors.

Anything with alligator clips can be wired to a 7-pin trailer plug (30A breaker) or to a switch w/ anderson plug using minimal effort. You get 40A if you have the factory HD electrical package and wire to that.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon

I've had the Smittybuilt for over two years and it's been great.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

I've had the Smittybuilt for over two years and it's been great.
I have heard pretty good reviews on Smittybult and it may be what I need to go with, currently I either rely on someone that has air or the closest gas station and this past outing I borrowed a cheapie one and that one took forever to fill up my tires.

I don’t off-road much so maybe it’s best that I don’t drop a lot of coin into one but get one that’s up from those cheapie big box stores have to offer

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I was originally looking at the Smittybilt, but they were largely out of stock or only offered at higher prices than when I first started researching.
Here's a Reddit link with someone posting numbers that you can compare. If you don't want to read, it says the Smittybilt 2781 is about 20 seconds faster per tire for 15-30 PSI on 33" tires. Amazon shows $165 for me right now, so seems like a no-brainer. Also at 30A, so you can do a trailer plug pigtail if you have a 7-blade trailer hook-up.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally looking at the Smittybilt, but they were largely out of stock or only offered at higher prices than when I first started researching.
Here's a Reddit link with someone posting numbers that you can compare. If you don't want to read, it says the Smittybilt 2781 is about 20 seconds faster per tire for 15-30 PSI on 33" tires. Amazon shows $165 for me right now, so seems like a no-brainer. Also at 30A, so you can do a trailer plug pigtail if you have a 7-blade trailer hook-up.
Seems lots of them use there own connectors so not universal but guessing one could cut this off, I don’t have a trailer hook up and would just clip it to my aux battery off my Genesis Dual battery system unless I could power it off the 12 volt lighter port in the back storage area but not sure what it’s rated for

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-OUTLETS.pdf
Looks like 20A for the rear cigar lighter. So battery or custom wiring to avoid opening the hood.

I think you'd have to cut the provided air hose and put a universal adapter on the end. I thought most of these had the connector too close to the motor to cut it and replace it.

OP
OP
WranglerMan

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-OUTLETS.pdf
Looks like 20A for the rear cigar lighter. So battery or custom wiring to avoid opening the hood.

I think you'd have to cut the provided air hose and put a universal adapter on the end. I thought most of these had the connector too close to the motor to cut it and replace it.
I could mount in the back and then run wires up the the +/- bus bars on my dual battery setup and that way all I have to store is a hose in a bag

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Comptroller
I ordered some of these originally planning to tap into my 40A lines, I'd recommend something like this if you weren't already thinking that. I use my cargo space a lot so I don't like the idea of leaving my compressor back there. My wife won't be here for another month, and her truck won't be here until around Christmas. JL does a lot of moving big items.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
I have heard pretty good reviews on Smittybult and it may be what I need to go with, currently I either rely on someone that has air or the closest gas station and this past outing I borrowed a cheapie one and that one took forever to fill up my tires.

I don’t off-road much so maybe it’s best that I don’t drop a lot of coin into one but get one that’s up from those cheapie big box stores have to offer
We also have this Smittybuilt. Never had any problems but the unit does get hot pumping out at 5.65. The extra volume is useful though as it is always nicer to air up faster vs slower. Even going double that volume would be better at say 10 or so. Airing up is always so time consuming. Tank would be optimal for max speed if more serious.

Have loaned it out to other 4x4 buddies and they probs will get the same unit. They also like it. But note that even the connector fittings get hot - so be careful. Def would buy again when on sale if you can wait. Also got the ARB deflator but knock offs probs do a good enough job. Would get 2 - again just to speed things up.

ED148ABE-AC8D-4980-AD1C-A16C36374DD1.png

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ended up getting this as I don't see using it too often and gets good reviews. Seems to actually air up 33s in pretty quick time w/ a decent duty cycle.
Best price I found $65 shipped (2day fedex too!)
https://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2709
And one of the review videos

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ended up getting this as I don't see using it too often and gets good reviews. Seems to actually air up 33s in pretty quick time w/ a decent duty cycle.
Tested it out today, aired up my 295/70/17 Patagonia (which is about 33.3" tall) from 18psi to 34psi in 2min40sec, so would take about 11 minutes to air all 4.
And airing up another Jeep w/ similar tires would still be within it's 25 min duty cycle.

It was hot when done but not too loud.

Comes w/ nice quality hose & battery connectors and long enough to easily get all around. Includes nice storage bag & the built in air gauge was quite accurate, but it has to be read w/ unit off.

For the few times a year I'll be using this I think it should meet my needs, and really does seem to be a quality unit.

Tredsdert

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Subaru Forester, 2021 Jeep Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Beer Distribution
Been wanting to get a portable air compressor to carry when I air down on the sand I instead of relying on somone else to get air from or to look for the closest place to get air.

Was looking at this one https://www.extremeterrain.com/mean-mother-compressor-8800cu-8717.html and it seems to get decent reviews, don’t want permanent on board air so was thinking this unless there are better options in the same price point
Dang guy, it's 200 bucks. Why cheap out now, you're only $150 away from getting a an ARB pump you can hide under your hood and have always plugged in. ;)
Sponsored