Sponsored

Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights?

Aclud4

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
Which won't shut off ? The engine or the start-stop ?
The engine. I read it here on the forum that light brake pressure will not engage ESS and moderate pressure will. I started using a lighter foot when stopping at a light that is about to turn green or stopping briefly at a stop sign and the engine does not shut off. It only took a day or so to get used to and I'm not bothered by ESS at all anymore. Check out page 340 in the manual: https://www.mopar.com/moparsvc/tweddle/publications?id=9510 - it states it won't shut off the engine if you use insufficient brake pressure. Just need enough pressure to stay put but not so much that you engage ESS.
Sponsored

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
If you use less brake it won't shut off. I was annoyed til I read it here - you can completely control ESS with brake pressure.
I still want it to work smarter. So if I pull into driveway and it shuts off thats great, but why start again so I can shutdown? Maybe it will let me turn it off then go to park, I dunno but its silly and wierd

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
If you use less brake it won't shut off. I was annoyed til I read it here - you can completely control ESS with brake pressure.
I have not had much luck with that so for me it’s easier to just push the dam button until I get a Taser JL

mazeppa

First Name
y = x/0
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTR Panda
Occupation
knife sharpening snob
I have not had much luck with that so for me it’s easier to just push the dam button until I get a Taser JL
I found that you can also shift to neutral at or before a full stop (in the auto trans) and engine will not shut down, you will have to hold the brake down to shift back into drive after a stop if you let off the brake while in neutral.

Now that I think about it, I need to try and let the auto-start-stop shut the engine down and slip the transmission into neutral and see if the engine restarts.

Sponsored

boilerman

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
can we get the dealer to just make it so it is off by default? like we would do if be had a tazer jl ?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I found that you can also shift to neutral at or before a full stop (in the auto trans) and engine will not shut down, you will have to hold the brake down to shift back into drive after a stop if you let off the brake while in neutral.

Now that I think about it, I need to try and let the auto-start-stop shut the engine down and slip the transmission into neutral and see if the engine restarts.
Sorry for laughing , @mazeppa , ( Luftkopf ) , but you might manage that if you had three feet and three hands . Unfortunately , the lunatic who designed the JL's computer electronics did not have even one brain cell .

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
can we get the dealer to just make it so it is off by default? like we would do if be had a tazer jl ?
I asked the dealer about this when I went in to have the steering TSB applied and I got that special look from them when I asked them to tell the tech to turn it off, they told me FCA monitors everything when it’s plugged into the OBDII port.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I asked the dealer about this when I went in to have the steering TSB applied and I got that special look from them when I asked them to tell the tech to turn it off, they told me FCA monitors everything when it’s plugged into the OBDII port.
So , who cares if FCA monitors everything . Does FCA punish anyone for turning off their precious junk ?

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
FCA is not adding it cause they want to, we mandate them to imrove gas milage or pay fines
So , if WE mandate ESS , why would FCA monitor to see if WE disable ESS ? Is there a penalty for US disabling what WE mandated ? Else , why monitor to see if dealers disable ESS ?

boilerman

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
FCA is not adding it cause they want to, we mandate them to imrove gas milage or pay fines

then why have a button to disable it?

boilerman

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon
i am going to press them to "have it off by default "when they do their inspection when it comes in. lets hope they realize it is my 50k jeep and i want it that way.

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I can tell you for certain WE haven't. YOU might have, but WE havent.
Sponsored