Sponsored

Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights?

MikeJenkins

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
What about just pressing the button after you start the car? Mine is a habit now kind of like putting on a seatbelt
Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Figure somebody here could start a business here. Buy a programmer and charge a fee for mailing it out and user paying return postage. I might be a player if somebody did it.
I don't think that would work. You need to leave it plugged into the port on the Jeep for it to continue doing it's job. Also, you have to "marry" the device to the Jeep in question and it appears that when you "unmarry" it, it goes back to the previous factory setting. Whether this is required or they just did it intentionally to keep someone from doing what you suggest, I don't know...

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
What about just pressing the button after you start the car? Mine is a habit now kind of like putting on a seatbelt
It would have been nice if the kiddie engineers would have made it a discrete switch that you could set and leave it in that condition. Instead, they made things with momentary contact switches that the vehicle's computer is constantly polling. If it realizes that a switch has been pressed and released, it updates it's internal memory and changes the state for whatever is controlled by that switch. Just more whiz-bang stuff by a bunch of kiddie engineers that should be just designing video games and not anything that might have life and death consequences if they screw up.

I'm an engineer, I've had to work with these kids and I am not impressed with them...

Now, get off my lawn, dammit!

Last edited:

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Since the auto-off button has an LED associated with it, that gives me an idea.

It would be possible to fairly easily build a device that monitored that LED and if it detected the light not lit, momentarily close the connection that the switch normally activates, thus causing the car's computer to think that you pressed the button. Probably about $5 in parts and a fairly short bit of Arduino coding to get it done.

MIRodger

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
Just slide the shifter into "M" mode when coming to a stop. You can leave it there until you start out or shift back to drive - ESS will stay off for that idle cycle. I find this very useful since ESS functions when I don't mind it and it is easily turned off when I don't want it to function.

Sponsored

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Doesn't the flash method, rather than permanently disable it, just, by default, turn it off when the rig starts..in other words flip the default to ESS off?

"Nothing for nothing" but you could turn it on again after a flashed rig's been reconfigured on this attribute and the engine started, by pressing the button right?

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Doesn't the flash method, rather than permanently disable it, just, by default, turn it off when the rig starts..in other words flip the default to ESS off?

"Nothing for nothing" but you could turn it on again after a flashed rig's been reconfigured on this attribute and the engine started, by pressing the button right?
I just checked with Jeep Informant on YouTube and he says that the Tazer JL just changes the initial state of the auto stop start system. If you manually press the auto stop start button again, the state will be toggled.

He also said that there was not a fuse that could be pulled to disable the auto start stop.

If the auto stop start button is anything like the starter button and the rear of it can accessed as easily, I can think of an easy solution that would cost maybe $5-6. It would involve a small Arduino micro-controller, a relay, and possibly an optional toggle switch.

Here's a write-up that I've done for a possible design for such a system. Pretty simple really...

https://sites.google.com/site/navyvet1959/vehicles/wrangler-jl-electronic-start-stop

Last edited:

MtCamper

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlUR White Rubi, 2018 GMC 3500 Duramax,
Occupation
Retired Snowbird
I tried the unplug idea. It does disable the ESS but it also keeps telling me my hood is open and doesn't allow dash display to stay in the mode I set it to. Still hoping to find a solution.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
If I find it irritating with the manual transmission, I'll probably implement this:

ess-override-module.gif

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bearkat

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara, 2013 JKU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I tried the unplug idea. It does disable the ESS but it also keeps telling me my hood is open and doesn't allow dash display to stay in the mode I set it to. Still hoping to find a solution.
Just unplug the connector going to the auxiliary battery. Yes the ESS warning light will stay on but that is it. Simple solution and can easily be plugged back on if wanted. This is what we did on our JL.

Jeep-ESS-Battery-Sensor.jpg

Jeep Wrangler JL Permanently disable engine auto start stop (ESS) at stoplights? {filename}

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I’m thinking the Taser JL could be better as it does a lot more for not honestly that much more, but will have to see what the pricing is.
One concern might be with all these systems that try to correct perceived deficiencies in the design of the vehicle or to just add features to it is that they see to all rely on using the OBD port. Although there are some splitter cables available for the OBD port, I have to wonder if at some point, it's going to get a bit inconvenient with all that stuff hanging around down there.

smithrd65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL. BMW Z4 35is, Tesla Model X90D, Chevy 2500 LTZ
We as humans are so Lazy we can't push a button. And you would rather distroy you new vehicle.

How silly people are. VOID YOUR WARRANTY THEN GO AND LIE TO JEEP FOR HELP.
Sponsored